Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research on empty apartment blocks forbidden in A&P

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

In a nutshell, I started a thread in A&P to find other people that would be interested in mapping empty apartment blocks around the country, with a view to finding out if there are many of them or not.

Basically, I've seen a few around, and thought maybe others might have seen some too. Long story short, the thread has been locked and any further 'research' threads by me on the same subject are forbidden.

Whilst I fully respect the right of mods to decide on things that aren't specified in the charter, I'm a bit mystified by this one and would like the decision reviewed.

The charter makes it clear that journalistic or student research is forbidden. The mod and I have established by PM that I am neither a journalist or a student looking to exploit other peoples help.

I did mention in the thread that if the thread was to show a significant number of empty apartment blocks, I might try and get a journalist to write a news story (which was the thing that seemed to break the charter), but my main objective with the thread is curiosity.

Is the DR process open to me?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP as this isn't DRP related.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi edanto - I am one of the category mods for SOC.

I have reviewed your post above, the thread you created as well as the charter, site faq & T&C's.

Per the charter, while you don't represent the media your were clear in your intent:
    then I might try and use the info to get a story in the newspaper
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60040302&postcount=2

So with this in mind I can see exactly why the mod has closed this thread, realistically they couldn't permit it.
    However you may want to try the survey forum - please note though there are restrictions there around non-media usage - so please before you open a thread there please PM the relevant mods, call out what you are looking to do and seek their permission to before you start the thread.
    Surveys and Non-Media Research forum.

Hope this helps,
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thank you both.

I didn't know about the surveys forum, could the thread be moved there and re-opened? Just to avoid duplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

edanto wrote: »
    Thank you both.

I didn't know about the surveys forum, could the thread be moved there and re-opened? Just to avoid duplication.

edanto as Taltos pointed out - you must seek permission from the mods before you open a thread.
    Taltos wrote: »
    H
    However you may want to try the survey forum - please note though there are restrictions there around non-media usage - so please before you open a thread there please PM the relevant mods, call out what you are looking to do and seek their permission to before you start the thread.
    Surveys and Non-Media Research forum.

Hope this helps,
    Taltos

If permission is granted we can have the thread moved.

Morri

Would you happen to know who the mods of that forum are, or where I can see the list?

There is no charter in the forum, and while there is a charter posted in the parent forum, the mod that posted it can't accept PMs at the moment (and may not be the mod any longer).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's the general rule to ask mods first before posting surveys/research. There's no need for that in the dedicated research forum.

Morri, could you do the honours pls?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement