Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of role & responsibilities

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm a regular poster on B.ie, but posting anonymously today.

I've just been told that my job is changing. I work in Sales. My role is no longer available next year, and my only 2 options are to accept a new job on the current team, or move onto something else.

The role that I've been offered in my own team is a more junior role, with less responsibilities, and is, in effect, a demotion.

I must be clear: my salary and OTE are fully protected, and I've had this confirmed.

I have requested a formal written explanation, but management have been very careful to communicate all of this via meetings, with no written follow up. I have nothing on paper to confirm this change.

I asked for redundancy, but they said it's not a redundancy, but they are re-deploying me, based on the T's and C's of my contract, they are free to do so.

So..where to I stand? Do I take the new role? (backwards step)? Leave the company? I'm not sure what to do, and what my rights are in this regard. All constructive advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

PS I meant to post anonymously, but B.ie wouldn't let me as the IP address is non ireland or uk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

You are legally entitled to written minutes of the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PS I meant to post anonymously, but B.ie wouldn't let me as the IP address is non ireland or uk

where are you located?

If you're not in Ireland, then I don't know if we'll have people here who know much about labour laws in your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Presuming you're based in Ireland.

This page says the following:
    As with any dismissal, an employer must act reasonably when dismissing an employee in a redundancy situation. This requires prior consultation with you before the decision is made. In addition, your employer should consider all options including possible alternatives.

If your employer makes you a reasonable offer of alternative work, and you refuse it, you may lose your entitlement to a redundancy payment. Generally speaking, alternatives which involve a loss of status or worsening of the terms and conditions of your employment would not be considered reasonable. Similarly, you may be justified in refusing an offer that involves you travelling an unreasonable distance to work

So, perhaps you could make a case for redundancy (though that's not legal advice of course). The question is if it's worth your while to take that cash and hope you find something suitable before the money runs out - or take the job where you're earning the same money as before and find a new job with no deadline hanging over you.

But the "loss of status" sounds like it could be quite subjective to argue, so I don't even know if it's that clear cut.

Also, if you've been told that this is happening in 2015, then absolutely look around - that's loads of notice. I wouldn't hang on that in the hope of getting a pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Thanks for your responses folks.

Yes, I do work in Ireland, for a German based multinational. And yes, I do need to tread carefully as my basic & OTE are well into triple figures, and they've been guaranteed. What pisses me off is the fact I'll have less responsibility and move 2 years backwards in career development. I just had a chat with my manager, he advises to sit back and take the money. He doesn't realise that job satisfaction is so important to me.

I'm going to get onto Citizens Advice and Labour relations and feed back to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What pisses me off is the fact I'll have less responsibility and move 2 years backwards in career development. I just had a chat with my manager, he advises to sit back and take the money. He doesn't realise that job satisfaction is so important to me.

Reality check: sit tight, and job-hunt for a move forward. It's a far better idea than taking redundancy and trying to find a job while you're unemployed.

Advertisement