Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Study

• 14-04-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All

I am a concerned parent. My son needs approximately 430 points; he achieved 325 in his mocks. We are in a bit of a battle at the moment regarding how much study he is doing to get his grades up to reach his required points. He tells me 4 hours study per day is enough - even over weekends and days off. I think he should be doing more only in these last 8 weeks. He's a great lad overall but I really don't want him to be disappointed and in September and I think if he really pushes the boat out he can do it (so do his teachers!).

Any tips would be most appreciated !

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Personally, I think that it doesn't really matter about how much you do, it's about what you do.

You could spend hours reading a few chapters or you could swiftly do it, do some questions and be sure that you know it.

What subjects is he doing and what are your/his concerns with them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

It depends on what he's actually doing. If it's 4 hours a day of flicking through the book, then he won't get anywhere. If it's 4 hours of whittling down the chapters into brief concise notes, memorising and understanding them and tackling exam questions then he should be fine. At this stage in the year, I would say it's the practising exam questions that would help him the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Speaking as a current leaving cert student, I really don't think making him do more than 4 hours a day will help, extra hours would essentially be wasted due to the fact he doesn't feel he needs to do this much. In my opinion 4 hours is enough anyway, that's 192 hours between now and English paper 1. He'd be knackered after school plus 4 hours anyway, you don't want to end up hurting him.
    And I am now terrified due to the sudden realisation that I have only 48 days to my leaving cert. Ah sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Oh and if he's doing geography I'd really really really suggest working on that a lot, you cannot come out with a good mark in that without steady work, as I am starting to realise :(

Advertisement