Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance from Clements [drivers with foreign licences]

Options
  • 14-04-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

does any one has insurance from these guys www.clements.com?

any feedback much appreciated. got my car over the weekend, need to sort out the insurance today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I don't know if this helps at this stage but I am a foreigner living in Ireland and I just got 3rd party insurance from them at 420 euros a year for a 2.0 imported toyota celica.
    They don't really care what kind of car you drive, they will take into account your claims history and the value of your car.
    You can only get fully comp when the car is worth more than $5k.
    They are a broker based in the US (they also have a headquarters in London) and use AIG has their insurer.
    So far I found them very reasonable to deal with. I hope I don't have to find out how they deal with claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

How do they work exactly? Sounds fishy to be honest.

I got a quote of €1,118 for an M3, so very fishy.

So they are brokers rather than insurers, they use AIG europe as their policy holders.
    Keep in mind they will not give you the extra bits like windscreen insurance and roadside assistance.
    So I made an application, they checked everything, then got an email asking for payment details (I called and paid over the phone with my credit card) once payment cleared they emailed me all my policy documents.
    There are a few good people from group I am part of that hold insurance through clements and they all tell me they are really good.
    I took the plunge because the prices I was getting for my car were completely insane!
    I will say that it took 10 days for them to get everything done so I wouldn't be in a rush to get all the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Sobanek wrote: »
    How do they work exactly? Sounds fishy to be honest.

I got a quote of €1,118 for an M3, so very fishy.

There's no option that just applies to us though, the options are only for people that are working abroad or working for the government,UN etc.

Not really! As long as you are an expat (I am a european citizen- NOT IRISH- living and working in Ireland ) they will insure you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AP_MAN

thanks, I sorted with them, got mine for the same price euros 420, my car is 1.6, they are really good, am Indian, working and living in Ireland, so they insured me, not sure about the claims though, can any one share their experience on claims that will be helpful.
    I don't know if this helps at this stage but I am a foreigner living in Ireland and I just got 3rd party insurance from them at 420 euros a year for a 2.0 imported toyota celica.
    They don't really care what kind of car you drive, they will take into account your claims history and the value of your car.
    You can only get fully comp when the car is worth more than $5k.
    They are a broker based in the US (they also have a headquarters in London) and use AIG has their insurer.
    So far I found them very reasonable to deal with. I hope I don't have to find out how they deal with claims

Don't have experience with claims myself, but from what I read in their website when you need to claim you need to request a claims package from them and submit all the relevant paperwork.

they offer insurance for the foreign people working here (off course based on your past driving history), so, they will not offer insurance to an Irish citizen here as far as I understand it !
    There's no option that just applies to us though, the options are only for people that are working abroad or working for the government,UN etc.

Yes, I think that is it BUT I would most definitely call and try to get them to do it! You have nothing to loose!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gnote2

thanks for the info. i am an international student here in ireland. already tried and requested the quotation online. they not only cover worker but also student as there is an option for student in the list.

currently in process and will pay the premium before they give all the documentation. cheapest i can get for now as other company have give me an insane price

• Advertisement

If you have any issues like that try giving them a call in london, the number is on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hassan93

can you please help me out? im a student in ireland and tried to get an insurance from them but they replied that they dont do the insurance for students?

that's right, they do only for the professionals working full time.
    hassan93 wrote: »
    can you please help me out? im a student in ireland and tried to get an insurance from them but they replied that they dont do the insurance for students?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 E.V

AP_MAN wrote: »
    thanks, I sorted with them, got mine for the same price euros 420, my car is 1.6, they are really good, am Indian, working and living in Ireland, so they insured me, not sure about the claims though, can any one share their experience on claims that will be helpful.

I am Malaysian n working in Ireland. I have a mini cooper n choose physical damage n third party - quote use 960 (800 euro) I wonder how u get 420 euro?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

The requirement also includes that you're over 25. Not sure if it's on the website. I applied with them and they told me I was too young a few months ago.

A friend of a friend made a claim with them and apparently had no issues.

Superwofy wrote: »
    The requirement also includes that you're over 25. Not sure if it's on the website. I applied with them and they told me I was too young a few months ago.

A friend of a friend made a claim with them and apparently had no issues.

Thanks but I'm 33 so wonder what criteria to get 420 euro..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

E.V wrote: »
    I am Malaysian n working in Ireland. I have a mini cooper n choose physical damage n third party - quote use 960 (800 euro) I wonder how u get 420 euro?

Thanks in advance.

Mini Coopers are generally rated quite highly by insurers. The fact that there has been a massive change in the insurance market in the last 12 to 18 months (the guy got €420 in July last year) also likely has something to do with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

I also have Clements, fully comprehensive. Many of my colleagues do too. Seem good so far, very cheap, but I haven't had to claim yet.

I don't understand how they work to be honest but they only insure people working outside their own country. Can be anywhere in the world. Perhaps foreign/expat workers are a very low risk group.

Price Forbes is another similar company but they normally do not offer third party liability insurance. Clements somehow manage to provide the whole package.

They do not offer any no claims bonus so you cannot expect your premiums to decrease, but they will give you a risk certificate proving X years of no claims if you want to leave and get normal insurance.

Mini Coopers are generally rated quite highly by insurers. The fact that there has been a massive change in the insurance market in the last 12 to 18 months (the guy got €420 in July last year) also likely has something to do with it too.

Thanks. If I get physical damage and third party cover does that mean I'm covered full comprehensive?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks. If I get physical damage and third party cover does that mean I'm covered full comprehensive?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 gnote2

Thanks in advance.

i think most of the quote that i get is around that much. not sure why u get so high. is it a sport car type?

p/s : malaysia kat mana bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Stheno wrote: »
    No.

I would have thought it does tbh.

Physical damage would mean damage to his car, third party is self explanatory.

Obviously the broker has to clarify.

Thanks in advance.

I called the company n they said I'm here for a long time more than one year so they can't insure me!!! Ask me to get full Irish licence!!! Is that right?

gnote2 wrote: »
    i think most of the quote that i get is around that much. not sure why u get so high. is it a sport car type?

p/s : malaysia kat mana bro?

What should I do with Malaysia licence? Is there anyway I can get international insurance?? Pls help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rehab ghomeim

my husband has international licence and he insured with clement and I am learner they refuse to add me as second driver what can I do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If they won't you'll probably have to pass your test here and get an Irish driving licence. We've all had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rehab ghomeim

Mycroft H wrote: »
    If they won't you'll probably have to pass your test here and get an Irish driving licence. We've all had to do it.

I have learner irish licence but iam new here so I can't take the full licence now after 6 months and I need to drive now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's a tough position. Can your husband convert his licence to an Irish licence? At the moment no Irish insurance company will cover you on a learner permit on someones insurance with an international permit.

Getting public transport for 6 months may be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alexanderis

Two of my colleagues have used clements.com to insure their cars for a fairly small price(ok, really really small), but it seems they might be pulling out of the Irish market.

Although I haven't found any relevant news, they are only quoting for 6 months now and it looks like they'll be stopping quotes all together.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Better yet, are there any other alternatives for expats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ronib

Clements is not accepting quotes from Ireland since April 1st 2016.
    As far as I know they cancelled the partnership with AIG in Ireland.
    Trying to find an alternative as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement