Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance from Clements [drivers with foreign licences]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beamere90

Hi would anyone know does it cover Irish citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gnote2

Beamere90 wrote: »
    Hi would anyone know does it cover Irish citizens?

no.they only cover expetriate

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

gnote2 wrote: »
    no.they only cover expetriate

Sadly, they don't cover anyone in Ireland anymore. I e-mailed them two days ago to confirm; and they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gnote2

Superwofy wrote: »
    Sadly, they don't cover anyone in Ireland anymore. I e-mailed them two days ago to confirm; and they did.

they still covered ireland, but they dont provide the 3rd party. u have to get it else where

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

gnote2 wrote: »
    they still covered ireland, but they dont provide the 3rd party. u have to get it else where

That essentially means that you can't drive legally on just their policy. So, what's the point?

This is what they said:
    Unfortunately Clements are unable to offer any third party liability insurance at present. This includes comprehensive cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rajatparihar

Yea they have stopped issuing Third Party insurance in Ireland. So there is no point even going for Physical Damage or any other liability insurance quote from clements as they are still (almost similar) quoting price of Physical damage as the third party liabilities. So better to take other optional elements from your existing policy providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 angus014

This is seriously messed up. Im in the same situation of trying to obtain car insurance with a NZ licence held for 7 years, 23yo, no car insurance history at home apart form 3rd party as a named driver. I was given a quote today for 4600/year for a car worth 750 euro, thats even after I convert my licence to an Irish one, they would not give me a quote for NZ license. Basically i'm gathering its near on impossible to come to Ireland and drive a car around if your in my situation, seems so wrong. If anyone has any suggestion as to where i could find a reasonable quote that would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

What year, make, and model of car are you trying to insure? If it s over 10 years old that might be the issue. I would call them back and ask for a quote on a 2015 Hyundai i10 just to see what the difference is

• Registered Users Posts: 2 angus014

What year, make, and model of car are you trying to insure? If it s over 10 years old that might be the issue. I would call them back and ask for a quote on a 2015 Hyundai i10 just to see what the difference is
    It's a 2002 Opel Astra, yeah they did say within 10 years I could get a quote but I can't imagine it being below 3000 which is out of the question for me, il give it a try anyway. I've never seen such a ridiculous insurance market as this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kyashan

Hi guys,
    I was with Clements as well and I had the sad news about the Third Party cover.
    I tried to get a quote to its4women "dot" ie and it's not bad compared to the other insane quotes I received.
    Give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DJASH

Just wanted to know if anyone manage to get to know if there any Insurance in Ireland providing cover for International Driving Licenses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Liberty will cover you on some foreign licenses; US for sure, and probably Canada/AUS/NZ as well. They also accept claims histories from insurers in those countries (as well as the EU). My buddy from Panama was able to get coverage from AIG, as I recall, but it was quite expensive, as they wouldn't accept his Panama insurance claims history.

Remember that you can only legally drive on your foreign license for a year, though, so no matter which company you go with, they probably won't renew your policy after the first year if you don't have an Irish license at that time. Make sure you start working on that right away, as it can easily take 6+ months to go through the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ZA2IE

Clements no longer renew, change or upgrade policies in Ireland, I have been with them for 5 years now and wanted to renew (actually upgrade) from 3rd party to Full comprehensive, and they told me flat out they are currently no longer covering Ireland until further notice. They didn't explain why but i suspect it has something to do with Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

It's nothing to do with Brexit; Clements stopped offering primary coverage in Ireland long before the referendum. Most likely it's the same reason local insurance premiums have skyrocketed; an increase in the number and value of liability claims in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Any alternatives for clements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 favsantos

Same here.. just found this discussion because I'm on the same situation..
    Just bought a car, Opel Astra 1.4 2005, have Brazilian license for over 10 years but no Irish license at all (gonna do driver theory test still this month).
    Every insurance company I try to get a quote online it says they are not able to provide me with a quote at the moment.

Tried with Clements as well, they gave me this response

"Dear Sir,

You have recently applied for physical damage cover via our website. The minimum requirement to drive in Ireland is third party liability cover. In order to purchase physical damage coverage from us you will need to obtain third party coverage elsewhere and provide proof by sending us a scanned copy of your certificate of insurance. We will then review your application for eligibility accordingly.

Unfortunately Clements are unable to offer third party liability insurance at present. This includes comprehensive cover."

If anyone knows about any other who would do for foreign please let us all know.

Tks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

The quote section seems to be back online for clements. Has anyone tried to get a quote from them recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

This is mad stuff , you get an international licence in my case south korea who have an agreement with ireland but you can't get insurance. Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 34 javiercarrillo

The quote section seems to be back online for clements. Has anyone tried to get a quote from them recently?

I got a quote but am being told I must take full coverage rather than just 3rd party only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leoclc

I got a quote but am being told I must take full coverage rather than just 3rd party only.

Was the quote super expensive compared to others?

• Advertisement

leoclc wrote: »
    Was the quote super expensive compared to others?

My insurance with Liberty is for 1300 euros and I got a quote from Clements for 1200 euros last week so I believe they are now equal to other Irish insurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

kevincool wrote: »
    My insurance with Liberty is for 1300 euros and I got a quote from Clements for 1200 euros last week so I believe they are now equal to other Irish insurances.

Does Clements have breakdown service?

Does Clements have breakdown service?

Don't know, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ciprian207

hi , do they still insure in Ireland ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement