Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food and Drink Festivals!

Options
  • 14-04-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I won't be going to Taste of Dublin this year unfortunately which is always something I reallyyyyy enjoy. Because I subscribe to a lot of foodie sites etc, I often get notifications of upcoming festivals and I think this one looks really good! :)http://www.litfest.ie/ Did anyone go last year?

It would be great if people could maybe update this thread with links to upcoming festivals or obscure ones that they have attended that a lot of people may not know about? I found a cheese related one also which made me a bit weak at the knees so I'll come with the link.

I think if we share the love about upcoming festivals, it might be a nice informal opportunity to meet other peeps from the Food & Drink forum who happen to be there on the day? I've become rather fond of you all and we haven't yet had a meet up but if we keep each other informed of foodie festivals, it might be a great way to actually hook up from time to time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Well there's the Galway Food Festival on Easter weekend. I've absolutely no idea what it'll be like, never been before but sure I'll be popping into it this year to have a look. :) Pig on a spit sounds good to me!

http://www.galwayfoodfestival.com/programme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

25th of May Sheridans Food Festival and Richard Corrigan will be there. :)

http://www.sheridanscheesemongers.com/category/sheridans-food-festival/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mince Pie wrote: »
    25th of May Sheridans Food Festival and Richard Corrigan will be there. :)

http://www.sheridanscheesemongers.com/category/sheridans-food-festival/

Well done, that's the very one I was making reference to in my OP! Seeing as I love cheese so much, going to a festival like this would be akin to going on some kind of pilgrimage! :) Are you going to go?

Merkin wrote: »
    Well done, that's the very one I was making reference to in my OP! Seeing as I love cheese so much, going to a festival like this would be akin to going on some kind of pilgrimage! :) Are you going to go?

Well its only 20 minutes down the road for me and I LOVE cheese so I would have to be mental not to go. :cool:

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Well its only 20 minutes down the road for me and I LOVE cheese so I would have to be mental not to go. :cool:

I won't be around for it but please report back! It sounds AMAZING! :)

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    I won't be around for it but please report back! It sounds AMAZING! :)

I most certainly will. Some friends are driving up from Dublin for it as well so looking like a fantastic day out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Great idea OP, that litfest looks savage, mouth is watering just looking at the site!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There's one thing that I don't like about food festivals. That nagging feeling that I'm getting kind of ripped off. Twenty quid entry, twenty quid more on vouchers for this and that, and you still need to eat afterwards.

Then I was at the Dingle Food Festival, which is in October, I think. No charge to enter Dingle. You wander around and you try shark, kangaroo, seafood chowder, black pudding, wines, or whatever you want. They accept actual money instead of silly vouchers.

And it's in Dingle. I could not recommend it highly enough.

Thanks luketitz, the litfest in Ballymaloe really appeals to me too! They've got a great range of speakers don't they? I'd love to see the likes of Thomasina Miers (the lady who won Masterchef back in 2005) and see what she's got to say.

There's one thing that I don't like about food festivals. That nagging feeling that I'm getting kind of ripped off. Twenty quid entry, twenty quid more on vouchers for this and that, and you still need to eat afterwards.

Then I was at the Dingle Food Festival, which is in October, I think. No charge to enter Dingle. You wander around and you try shark, kangaroo, seafood chowder, black pudding, wines, or whatever you want. They accept actual money instead of silly vouchers.

I totally get what you're saying. I love Taste Of for example but some of the tents are a total rip off while others offer really good value for money. Being perfectly honest I normally end up getting so squiffy and jolly I don't mind. :cool: My friend is a director of a drinks company so she always ends up slipping me a couple of bottles of bubbly from her tent at the Festival to keep me happy......hic! I do love the cookery demonstrations and the chance to try new nibbles though.

The Dingle one sounds lovely, I'd say the seafood at it will be lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

There is one in Mallow this weekend - part of the Racing Home For Easter festival. It is at the Castle on Sunday.

Midleton in September is great and sadly you have missed Dungarvan which was last weekend.

Definitely going to Dingle this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

MAST is the insurance company that a lot of Market Traders use - they have a list of festivals on their website - they are not all food related but many are.

It might be worth keeping any eye on for any of you that are interested.

Oh Brillo, thanks for that Animord!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I agree with every word you've written there. I love the concept of food festivals, but I definitely feel ripped off. I looked at the Taste Trails around Cork - €55 :eek:. I'd want to getting serious portions for that money :/

The Dingle Taste Trail was outstanding. I couldn't give it enough praise. I absolutely loved it. Free 'entry', really creative food, the very best seafood and only €2 per taster, which is most cases were the size of a normal starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

35 food stalls ay battle of clontarf in st. Annes park this weekend plus Viking show. Free in I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

O'Briens are having their Spring Wine Fair next month, I think I'll pop along to that. It's a tenner entry and I ASSUME I will get to sample wine for free? Can't find much info about it, anyone been before?

Advertisement