Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle paperwhite 1 or 2?

• 14-04-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning on buying 2 Paperwhites - refurb PW1 is £84 and new PW2 is £109 from Amazon. I've read that some people find the PW1 screen blotchy and the light isn't even. Just wondering if any current paperwhite users have had any problems/opinions? Is it worth the extra €60 to get the new generation?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've the PW1 and have no issues with it whatsoever. Normally I'm the type who must have the latest version of stuff, but I see no reason to upgrade.

Every new version is going to have improvements over the previous version, however. I think if buying for the first time it does make sense to buy the latest if you can spare the difference. If not - no big deal. The PW1 is great anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The light on the PW1 is uneven at the bottom, Amazon posted a video saying that this is normal behaviour. It's really only noticeable in a dark room when you have the LEDs turned down low. It doesn't distract from reading. My screen is crisp, no blotchiness.

I've got both, and I'd go for the 2 every time. If you sideload books onto the 1, you can't distinguish between them and books bought on Amazon or sent to your Kindle address and backed up in the cloud. On the 2, you have a little tick that shows you if an item is backed up in the cloud.

If all your books are going to be bought through Amazon it's not an issue. If you use Calibre to manage and transfer your books, it's a handy little tool. You can also mark items into collections without downloading them, keeping your books categorised and tidy.

It's also slightly faster when you're organising your content, like putting new purchases or documents into collections. The old one would sometimes take quite a while to respond, even when not particularly full.

This is small though, however handy. They are both fantastic devices and a world away from the basic grey Kindles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are there any benefit other than the OS, Candie? I use Calibre but I don't really care too much about organising stuff.

e.g. Is the screen contrast/light improved?

As said before, the light is more evenly dispersed, the 1 being a bit blotchy at the bottom of the screen, but it's something that doesn't bother me at all Dades.

That and the ability to see what is or isn't backed up to the cloud are the two biggest differences but most of the time I don't know which one I'm using, to put it in perspective. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys - I'm going to go for the PW2! Argos have that spend €100 and get a €10 voucher deal atm so i'll buy them separately and get €10 of each of the covers.... and save €12 compared to buying from Amazon ;)

Just to add in case you're interested tk123, I've never found those one-size-fits-all covers to be much good (assuming that's what Argos are offering). This is the one I have -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Paperwhite-Leather-Protectors-Feature/dp/B005TH62E2/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1397648221&sr=1-3&keywords=tecknet+kindle+cover

Perfect fit, not bulky or insecure, very reasonably priced and looks smart and the hand flap is very handy for one handed-reading. There are a few colors to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm going to splash out and get the Amazon cover - since I'll be saving €10 a piece lol!

Advertisement