Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun holiday for a single !!

• 14-04-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice.

Single man 40, planning on going on Holiday probably in June. Would like a warm climate, good night life and maybe some interesting stuff to do during the days (sightseeing, activites, the beach)....price not really a problem but obviously value for money is still a requirement...oh and did I mention good night-life .. that's an absolute must!!

The problem for me is that I will almost certainly be going on holidays on my own this year (due to friends having other commitments etc.)

I am wondering am I better off trying to find one of these group travel jobbies like what is mentioned in this newspaper article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/solo-travel/10604222/Solo-travel-the-best-tour-operators-for-singles.html

.. where 20 or so people sign up to go off somewhere... what are other peoples experiences of this kind of thing ? Is it risky, cause you presumably have to pay upfront for various group activities .. what if you find on day-1 .. that you can't stand the group...and decide to go solo anyway .. is it money wasted :-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Have done some trips on my own, I find joining walking Tours, beer crawls etc. a great way of making new friends and spending an evening in a new town.

Package tours to Sun destinations are generally groups of 18-30's .. probably too young for you.

As regards a Holiday suggestion. ... My advice, keep it simple and flexible (that's the biggest advantage of travelling solo after all). Maybe book direct flights to a central Airport that has a few resorts nearby and start the adventure from there.

Examples: fly to Malaga airport in Spain.. (gives you access to the whole Costa Del Sol) and maybe book one or two nights accommodation just to get you setup..hire a car or use public transport and move down the coast at your own pace (Torremolinos, Benalmedena, Marbella, Puerto Banus.. even Gibralator) .....making friends and breaking hearts as you go ;-)

Same is true of French Riveria (check out Cannes, Nice, Monaco on a single trip), Portugal and Greece (island hop around the the place)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Forget Europe and the Spanish resorts, total waste of time and effort, get over to Thailand, and forget traveling in a group. My recommendation is a few days in Bangkok before then heading over to Pattaya for a slice of Asia's smaller and more in your face version of Vegas. Then hit Phuket and the islands, best money you'll spend and you might just find yourself single for not much longer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thanks for advice guys,

bcklschps... Western Med is very handy. 2-3 hours flight and your there. No Foreign exchange BS and have been to Cost Del Sol previously and French Riveria too and liked both of them a lot. Not cheap though.

Stinicker ...Thailand seems great value...but its a long haul to get there ...and I'd probably have to do Austrialia and NZ too on the same trip to justify the distance.. That might get complicated to arrange and expensive. I would have some slight reservations also about Thailand, for example has it now got a slightly tarnished image?... dirty, over crowded, Crime, tourist scams, politcal instability ?

Advertisement