Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop screen won't turn on.

Options
  • 14-04-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Satellite C660D.

I thought the screen cable might have been the cause, so I replaced it. Still got nothing.
    The display works perfectly when connected to a monitor via VGA.

With the old cable, I could just about make out some writing on the screen. The 'Windows did not properly shut down' message. It was very feint though.

Before I fork out for a new screen, could there be another reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Sounds like the backlight, or more likely the inverter for the backlight has packed in - replacing the LCD panel won't fix this. Turn on the laptop and shine a flashlight at the screen - can you see anything displayed on the screen, even if it's faint?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nah. Can't see a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

hmm - the fact that with the old cable you could still see text on the screen, albeit very faint, would indicate that the screen itself is working, and thus doesn't need replacing. Is it possible that you didn't seat the new cable correctly? Or that you haven't transferred monitor function over to the external monitor only? Try loading up the brightest, highest contrast image that you can find, and plugging out the external monitor. At the moment it still sounds like a backlight or inverter problem, and if you installed the replacement cable correctly then you should be able to see the image on the LCD if you shine a bright light at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's reading the two monitors when I have it plugged into the external monitor.

I changed back to the old cable. Can't see anything on the screen now, even at its brightest.
    It has an LED backlight, so there is no inverter.

Gonna leave it plugged in for a couple of hours and see if anything happens.

ETA: I actually didn't have the new cable in right on the first attempt. I think it came loose when I was connecting the web cam.
    Have the screen sitting here without the lid on and the cable is definitely connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

If you could borrow another screen to rule out the cable and the mobo it might save you the expense of buying a new screen and finding out its not the screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement