Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Keys After Paying Deposit

Options
  • 14-04-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi myself and my girlfriend have recently put down a deposit for a house to let, to give us more time to get ready for moving we agreed with the estate agent that we will pay first month's rent on 1st of May and move in then.

What I need to know is since I have paid the deposit can I get a copy of the key to start moving stuff in and cleaning out the house, I wont be staying or living in house until May but I want to get bits ready before then.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on this?!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

kev-bt wrote: »
    Hi myself and my girlfriend have recently put down a deposit for a house to let, to give us more time to get ready for moving we agreed with the estate agent that we will pay first month's rent on 1st of May and move in then.

What I need to know is since I have paid the deposit can I get a copy of the key to start moving stuff in and cleaning out the house, I wont be staying or living in house until May but I want to get bits ready before then.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on this?!

Thanks in advance.

sounds like your tenancy begins on the 1st of May. I wouldn't imagine your LL would be too happy with you using the place before then.

There are issues around insurance, liability etc. What would happen if you tripped and injured yourself while moving stuff in? Theoretically you are not a tenant at that stage and the LL would be leaving him/herself wide open for a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I always tried to start the tenancy of the new place with a week still to go on the old one. That way you have a small overlap to move stuff at you leisure.

Id imagine you won't get keys until the tenancy starts. Going from tenancy to tenancy can be a nightmare with deposits and moving stuff and dealing with ea's.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Thanks for reply, I suspected as much.

It is a estate agent we are dealing with, I presume it should be no problem though if we borrow key for an hour to take note of what exactly we need to get for our move in date and give key back to estate agent.

We were a bit rushed at our viewing of the house because estate agent had another viewing and we didn't get a chance to see what inventory was in the cupboards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

TBH get your own starter kit....you've no idea who or what has been using the items in the house before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Thanks for reply, I suspected as much.

It is a estate agent we are dealing with, I presume it should be no problem though if we borrow key for an hour to take note of what exactly we need to get for our move in date and give key back to estate agent.

We were a bit rushed at our viewing of the house because estate agent had another viewing and we didn't get a chance to see what inventory was in the cupboards etc.

A quick trip to ikea will sort you with everything you need for next to nothing. I'd be wary of using any delf or random stuff left in the place. But thats just me!

When I get the keys to a new place on the first day before I move anything in I practically steralise the place, no matter how clean it looks!

Good luck with move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement