Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drainage options for garden garage with down pipe into garden

• 14-04-2014 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if here, the DIY or Constructioin forum is the best but I'll give it a go.

We've a garage down the back of the garden which initially didn't have any gutters, but since we're using it regularly now we got some put one, purely to prevent the rain spilling off the roof onto your head or spalshing over the front windows.

Now the issue is that there's no drain nearby, so I'm wondering what the best options are to disperse the water so that it doesn't pool at the end of the down pipe in the event of heavy rain. I was going to put in a water butt but that's not an option anymore as it will be right in front of one of the windows preventing it from opening.

The down pipe just runs off into the grass, at the base of which there's a foundation of a solid block resting on top of compacted gravel and sand.

Anyone got any suggestions ?
    At the moment the garder is waiting to be landscaped anyway so I suppose all options are open, apart from the butt. Is a french drain type thing basically my only option, or do I need to even worry abuot this when the roof area is about 3.5m x 4m ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Difficult to know without first seeing it but would you not simply core out the concrete and install a gulley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's no concrete, it's on a raised wooden frame a couple of inches off the ground with several piles made up of solid blocks laid into the ground on top of a sand/gravel mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

just create a soakaway - if you have good drainage
    Dig a hole and fill with stones

Cheers, I think I'll be going with something like that.

An simple alternative is to put a water bowl at the bottom of it, the dogs like nothing better than rain water to drink, but I'll be killed by my wife as the neighbourhood cats will be using it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

connect a water butt to the drain pipe? Handy for watering the garden then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

just create a soakaway - if you have good drainage
    Dig a hole and fill with stones

A trench would be better. Larger surface area to absorb water. Neednt be very deep. Take a pipe from the gully under the down pipe away from the garage to ensure any water wont cause subsidence. 8 ft if its possible. Then fill the rest of the trench with stone broken blocks etc and cover with plastic to stop soil getting down into the stone.

jon1981 wrote: »
    connect a water butt to the drain pipe? Handy for watering the garden then.

It's not an option due to its positioning if one was to be put in.

Advertisement