Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping dogs outside

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

larrlin24 wrote: »
    Because I have indoor cats and they don't really get along. In the house I'm in now, the cats have their own room at night and so do the dogs, but that isn't possible where we're moving so it's just best for everyone if the dogs are put outside in their own area!

At the risk of having my head taken off, I think the more conventional approach would tend towards cats out and dogs in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

cocker5 wrote: »
    I dunno different people have different views on what is adequate social interaction ... one hour a day... two or less??

The fact is being outside 24/7, they will not be getting proper social interaction daily... unless the dog owner will spend each evening outside with them.... from 6pm to 10pm (if you know what i mean) and lets all be honest life just doesnt work like that.. people are tired in the evenings, its could be cold... raining... dark etc it just wont happen.

Best way for a dog to get social interaction is to be part of the family, in the home (regardless of its sleeping arrangements) , interacting with the family all the time the family are home... thats what a dog wants... in reality all they want is to be with their humans and thats it.

All the walks, posh dog food, lamp heaters etc wont make up for all the want is our company its really as simple as that.

And let be frank here being a 24/7 outdoor dog in 95% of the situations isnt fair on the dog - simple

It is not a fact that dogs that are kept outside full time do not receive adequate interaction, nor is it a fact that dogs that are kept indoors receive adequate social interaction. Dogs whose owners care for them correctly receive adequate social interaction, no matter where they spend their time. The OP has not indicated they intend to neglect their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    At the risk of having my head taken off, I think the more conventional approach would tend towards cats out and dogs in??

The only problem I see there is cats that have been indoor all their lives have no idea how to be outside. Fighting with other cats over perceived territory and not 'streetwise' so to speak. And in fairness turfing the cats out would be a bigger shock to their system if they've always been indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

ah sure it will be grand.... the dogs who have been house dogs all thier lives, banished to the garden.. ahh sure they'll be grand.. they are only dogs afterall :D

your dogs are happy (or so you think) as they dont know any different...

why not try a test...

take them out of their pen for 2 weeks and allow them in the house to relax, sleep etc....

then dump them back outside and let them choose where they want to be...

hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm no prizes for guessing where they will choose. :rolleyes:

Yes, banished to the garden, dumped outside and a kick in the hole for good measure. You come across as being very judgemental.

The OP is doing it because they feel they are doing the best in the circumstances they are in. If the dogs have to live outside then now is a good time as they won't be used to the new house. It's a good time to set those boundaries.

It all depends what dogs are used to. In this case they'll have to adjust but don't we all sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Its is not a fact that dogs that are kept outside full time do not receive adequate interaction, nor is it a fact that dogs that are kept indoors receive adequate social interaction. Dogs whose owners care for them correctly receive adequate social interaction, no matter where they spend their time. The OP has not indicated they intend to neglect their dogs.

I never made reference to the OP in my post so not sure where your getting that one.

Let me say it again.. unless a dog owner spends most of their evening outside with their dogs, everyday in all weather then no the dogs wont get adequate social interaction

Why can no person who leaves their dogs outside 24/7 discuss the topic that all dogs wants is to be with their humans?

Give a dog a choice and they will choose company (human company) over the company of another dog or being alone.

Do these dog owners not give a sh*te about what the dogs actually wants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

ah sure it will be grand.... the dogs who have been house dogs all thier lives, banished to the garden.. ahh sure they'll be grand.. they are only dogs afterall :D

why not try a test...

take them out of their pen for 2 weeks and allow them in the house to relax, sleep etc....

Just like the op I know my dogs much better than you do my pious friend, I have let them in from time to time and they are really uncomfortable, the second the door is opened they are out and running around happy, most dogs would prefer to be outside in the fresh air than cooped up in a house and once again the op is NOT ABANDONING their dogs just changing were they sleep!

gramar wrote: »
    Yes, banished to the garden, dumped outside and a kick in the hole for good measure. You come across as being very judgemental.

The OP is doing it because they feel they are doing the best in the circumstances they are in. If the dogs have to live outside then now is a good time as they won't be used to the new house. It's a good time to set those boundaries.

It all depends what dogs are used to. In this case they'll have to adjust but don't we all sometimes.

Are you suggesting the OP physically abuses their dogs?

Im not judgemental at all I would put the dogs best interests first and not be dictated to the cats.... maybe the cats should be banished outside??

Problem solved in my eyes.

Im sick of people (not the OP) giving all the excuses / justifactions in the world about the way they treat / care for their animals etc... at the of the day the dogs best interest should come first and being outside penned in 24/7 is not putting the dogs first .....

Let me say it again.. unless a dog owner spends most of their evening outside with their dogs, everyday in all weather then no the dogs wont get adequate social interaction

Do these dog owners not give a sh*te about what the dogs actually wants?[/QUOTE]

Are mornings no good?

Yeah, so all dog owners need to hand in their notice now and get on the dole so the can spend 24/7 with their prized pooch.

I never made reference to the OP in my post so not sure where your getting that one.

Why can no person who leaves their dogs outside 24/7 discuss the topic that all dogs wants is to be with their humans?

Give a dog a choice and they will choose company (human company) over the company of another dog or being alone.

Do these dog owners not give a sh*te about what the dogs actually wants?

You are referring to the ops situation are you not?

If the dogs receive adequate social interaction it does not matter where they spend their time. Having them indoors does not mean they receive interaction.

Out of interest, what do you deem to be adequate social interaction?

Im not judgemental at all I would put the dogs best interests first and not be dictated to the cats.... maybe the cats should be banished outside??

Problem solved in my eyes.

Im sick of people (not the OP) giving all the excuses / justifactions in the world about the way they treat / care for their animals etc... at the of the day the dogs best interest should come first and being outside penned in 24/7 is not putting the dogs first .....

The OP hasn't posted for a while and probably with good reason as many of the comments here are absurd. If you lie on the rug tickling your dogs belly all day long then well done you. Not everyone is in a position to do so.

• Advertisement

Admldj wrote: »
    Just like the op I know my dogs much better than you do my pious friend, I have had let them in from time to time and they are really uncomfortable, the second the door is opened they are out and running around happy, most dogs would prefer to be outside in the fresh air than cooped up in a house and once again the op is NOT ABANDONING their dogs just changing were they sleep!

What are you talking about? where did i say that?

Im sure you know your dogs really well.... you must be 24/7 outside with them so to know them so well.. do you even sleep in the kennel with them??

I am sure they are soooo happy... soooo happy infact they get uncomfortable in the house and cant wait to get outside..... hhhhmmmmm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I have a two year old boxer and he's inside 100% of the time and extremely rarely left alone as I work from home but sometimes I think he'd really prefer being outside in the garden while I'm out. He loves sniffing about the garden and the garden of the house next door which is abandoned.

I'd never do it though. Might build a dog flap in the door

The OP hasn't posted for a while and probably with good reason as many of the comments here are absurd. If you lie on the rug tickling your dogs belly all day long then well done you. Not everyone is in a position to do so.

Thats excatly what i do... all day everyday, 24/7 ...so well done to me :D

Medal please?

Do these dog owners not give a sh*te about what the dogs actually wants?[/QUOTE]

Are mornings no good?

Yeah, so all dog owners need to hand in their notice now and get on the dole so the can spend 24/7 with their prized pooch.

Not really.... the best answer is dont be selfish and dont get a dog is you cant give it proper time and care etc... no one needs to hand in notices here (over the top much?)....... just be less selfish and dont a dog...

Its fairer all round dont you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just like the op I know my dogs much better than you do my pious friend, I have let them in from time to time and they are really uncomfortable, the second the door is opened they are out and running around happy, most dogs would prefer to be outside in the fresh air than cooped up in a house and once again the op is NOT ABANDONING their dogs just changing were they sleep!

Actually no, they dont. All my 3 prefer to be in the house with me. They go out to do their business, but if the door gets closed they sit whining to get back in.

I can leave the back door open and they still choose to stay in the house with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

Thats excatly what i do... all day everyday, 24/7 ...so well done to me :D

Medal please?

From your responses it seems that you do! or at least suggest that everyone should, it must be great to have your dogs with you all day! sitting at your feet at breakfast ,on your lap all day at work, curled up with you on the couch in the evening ,on the threadmill at the gym, in the bed with you at night , even sharing the shower together! we all envy your devotion my friend but not every one can dedicate their entire life to the family pooch! I know its difficult for you to understand considering your level of devotion but there are dogs all over the world who are happy to be walked daily and played with when we can, I know they would like more but unfortunately not everyone can put pooch before kids/work/life and have to portion time to them like all things in life

You are referring to the ops situation are you not? Nope not in that post or in my last few posts infact, its more to do with dogs (any dog) outside 24/7 in a pen.

If the dogs receive adequate social interaction it does not matter where they spend their time. Having them indoors does not mean they receive interaction.

Out of interest, what do you deem to be adequate social interaction?

Well I dont deem an hour or two an evening with a dog as "edequate".

My dog is with me all the time (well 99% he's not in the shower or toilet with me) when Im not in work (maybe I should hand in my notice like another OTT poster suggested we all should do)... whether its walking him 6k an evening, doing some training with him, or sitting on the couch etc he's always with us... he can come and go as he pleases really, but prefers human company. While I am in work he is with my parents in law.... thats whay I call adequate... he is part of my family and thats it. Not when it suits me or I have the time etc... I make the time, its quiet simple

From your responses it seems that you do! or at least suggest that everyone should, it must be great to have your dogs with you all day! sitting at your feet at breakfast ,on your lap all day at work, curled up with you on the couch in the evening ,on the threadmill at the gym, in the bed with you at night , even sharing the shower together! we all envy your devotion my friend but not every one can dedicate their entire life to the family pooch! I know its difficult for you to understand considering your level of devotion but there are dogs all over the world who are happy to be walked daily and played with when we can, I know they would like more but unfortunately not everyone can put pooch before kids/work/life and have to portion time to them like all things in life

OMG you have just laid out my enitre life above.... amazaballs!! Well done you... i will give you my medal, its only fair.

ALL of my posts say leaving a dog 24/7 outside isnt fair on the dog and i will stand by that even though you try and mock me.... nowhere did i say 24/7 should be dedicated to your dog and nothing else..... no where.

But its cool i can take it... you can put words in my mouth and twist my posts so to speak to make yourself feel better!

Its grand Im not too bothered really... no if you will excuse me my dog just rang his servent bell... I must run along now....

Well I dont deem an hour or two an evening with a dog as "edequate".

My dog is with me all the time (well 99% he's not in the shower or toilet with me) when Im not in work (maybe I should hand in my notice like another OTT poster suggested we all should do)... whether its walking him 6k an evening, doing some training with him, or sitting on the couch etc he's always with us... he can come and go as he pleases really, but prefers human company. While I am in work he is with my parents in law.... thats whay I call adequate... he is part of my family and thats it. Not when it suits me or I have the time etc... I make the time, its quiet simple

So anyone that cannot give a dog social interaction for 99% of the day is providing inadequate care and should not have a dog? This appears to be an unreasonable amount of time.

My own dogs like to spend their evening lying in front of the fire, or asleep in their beds for about 80% of the tme. Could it be that dogs could be different and so require different levels of interaction?

So anyone that cannot give a dog social interaction for 99% of the day is providing inadequate care and should not have a dog? This appears to be an unreasonable amount of time.

My own dogs like to spend their evening lying in front of the fire, or asleep in their beds for about 80% of the tme. Could it be that dogs could be different and so require different levels of interaction?

99% where did i say that?

I said 99% when im not in work... not 99% of my time??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

why not try a test...

Well seeing as that poster had 2 Labs, I would say they would prefer to be scrambling through ditches, mucky holes and streams to retrieve, which they do naturally from pups without much training.

Personally I think its cruel to have some dogs in urban areas full stop never mind small gardens/stuck in a house.

In the same room as you I presume? There is a mental comfort in that alone. They are nearby, they can sense you, they're calm and comfortable. But if you change that to keeping them outside they will be alert, probably can't relax knowing that you're home yet cannot be with you, probably worried that they cannot get inside to you, pining for you, frustrated that they cannot access the house, the list goes on. Now if you put a chair out in the garden and sat there with them they would be grand.;)

99% where did i say that?

I said 99% when im not in work... not 99% of my time??

You said they are with you 99% of the time except when someone else has them. How long do you think people should spend interacting with their dogs, or how long is it acceptable for a dog to be left by themselves? Its a pretty straight forward question.

In the same room as you I presume? There is a mental comfort in that alone. They are nearby, they can sense you, they're calm and comfortable. But if you change that to keeping them outside they will be alert, probably can't relax knowing that you're home yet cannot be with you, probably worried that they cannot get inside to you, pining for you, frustrated that they cannot access the house, the list goes on. Now if you put a chair out in the garden and sat there with them they would be grand.;)

No, not in the same room always - their beds are in the utility. My dogs are kept outside while i am at work and they have absolutely no issues with pining or being frustrated.

This all or nothing approach that is shown in this forum is ridiculous.

You said they are with you 99% of the time except when someone else has them. How long do you think people should spend interacting with their dogs, or how long is it acceptable for a dog to be left by themselves? Its a pretty straight forward question.

No, not in the same room always - their beds are in the utility. My dogs are kept outside while i am at work and they have absolutely no issues with pining or being frustrated.

This all or nothing approach that is shown in this forum is ridiculous.

Now where did I say they pined or were frustrated when you were at work? I clearly said when you were inside and they knew it.

The way some people try and twist posts on this forum is what I find ridiculous.

Now where did I say they pined or were frustrated when you were at work? I clearly said when you were inside and they knew it.

The way some people try and twist posts on this forum is what I find ridiculous.

There is no word twisting, those are your exact words. You stated that dogs that were put outside after being inside would pine and be frustrated. My dogs are put outside after being inside and do not pine and are not frustrated.

Dogs are not all the same and this should be taken into consideration. Some dogs thrive being outside, some do not.

Well don't do it yourself if it's so ridiculous.

Well don't do it yourself if it's so ridiculous.

That wasn't them :pac::pac::pac:

There is no word twisting, those are your exact words. You stated that dogs that were put outside after being inside would pine and be frustrated. My dogs are put outside after being inside and do not pine and are not frustrated.

Dogs are not all the same and this should be taken into consideration. Some dogs thrive being outside, some do not.

In the same room as you I presume? There is a mental comfort in that alone. They are nearby, they can sense you, they're calm and comfortable. But if you change that to keeping them outside they will be alert, probably can't relax knowing that you're home yet cannot be with you, probably worried that they cannot get inside to you, pining for you, frustrated that they cannot access the house, the list goes on. Now if you put a chair out in the garden and sat there with them they would be grand.

You fail to understand how my post was in response to your dogs sitting inside at night in front of the fire, in the same room as you?

Highlighted and enlarged for those that refuse to see :rolleyes:

In the same room as you I presume? There is a mental comfort in that alone. They are nearby, they can sense you, they're calm and comfortable. But if you change that to keeping them outside they will be alert, probably can't relax knowing that you're home yet cannot be with you, probably worried that they cannot get inside to you, pining for you, frustrated that they cannot access the house, the list goes on. Now if you put a chair out in the garden and sat there with them they would be grand.

You fail to understand how my post was in response to your dogs sitting inside at night in front of the fire, in the same room as you?

Highlighted and enlarged for those that refuse to see :rolleyes:

Thanks for shouting, it helps get your point across.

So you do not think dogs that are put outside will be frustrated or pine, thanks for clarifying. My dogs have no idea if i am inside the house or not. You should probably stop trying to guess what my dogs feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Mother of mercy. Turf the house cats out in favour of the dogs who are outside most of the time, if I remember correctly.

Ok then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement