Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco not valuing its customers much any more?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I think Tesco must be running out of money to try to get us to spend in their shops rather than other supermarkets

If you want a laugh read my following experience buying instore.

I went to Tesco's last night in Dun Laoghaire and spent over €220 for the weekly shop. When I paid I received a nice loyalty voucher from Tescos - wait for it - €0.02 off my next shop at Tescos. I will really look forward to spending that €0.02 voucher.

Couldn't believe the special offer so I asked a store member and they told me it was true.

Tesco must be cutting back - maybe there are not as many buying their 3 for 2 offers, they can only afford to give away €0.02 to customer who spend over €220.

Is this all Tesco can afford as an enticement to shop in their stores? I checked the date - it Wasn't April 1st - but I think if Tesco can only afford to offer €0.02 off a whole shop, they must be in deep trouble.

Back to Supervalu next week methinks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why would they offer you an incentive at all. Clearly you have already decided to spend your money in Tesco despite there being cheaper alternatives so what is the point of Tesco giving some of their profits away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Was that, by any chance, the voucher for the Tesco price promise? Namely that tesco will give you a voucher for the amount that you would have saved if you had done your shopping in Aldi/Lidl?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It wasn't a loyalty voucher, it was a price difference voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Basically that 2cent is calculated by tesco in such a way as to try and make gullible customers believe that their shopping would cost the same or only "2cent" more in Aldi and Lidl.

The problem for customers is that tesco only compare a very limited number of products so they can massage the figures to suit themselves!

If you did a comparable shop in Aldi/Lidl it would have cost a lot less, probably around the €170 mark or even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its not a loyalty voucher, its what you'd have saved over shopping in lidl or aldi according to tesco - which is manifestly bollocks as lidl or aldi are miles cheaper. Moving your shopping to supervalu will make feck all difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It could be 2c, 2 euro, 4 euro..it depends on the products bought. It's not a personal insult to you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Basically that 2cent is calculated by tesco in such a way as to try and make gullible customers believe that their shopping would cost the same or only "2cent" more in Aldi and Lidl.

The problem for customers is that tesco only compare a very limited number of products so they can massage the figures to suit themselves!

If you did a comparable shop in Aldi/Lidl it would have cost a lot less, probably around the €170 mark or even less.

I see them more as markers bookending all the stuff that isn't cheaper than aldi/lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

If you buy expensive better quality products you wont see much in the so called price promise.

But if you buy the everyday range and economy stuff that is comparable to the discounter own brand stuff, then you see the difference. Some customers get a few euro on small shops difference by simply being lucky on what they pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I bought about €50 worth of stuff last week and I got a voucher for €0.69, based on what I could have saved if I'd bought one or two things elsewhere. It's dependent on what you bought, not a percentage of what you spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

TBH honest I don't get the point of the offer.

Tesco are saying that saying that in the likelyhood that items are cheaper elsewhere they will give you a voucher for the difference, once you meet their criteria, and the voucher is only useful for buying in their store again?

Why not just go to the at least same price competition from the off? Of course one cannot also make the trip but the offer is so needlessly complicated that I doubt anybody actually get any perceived any value from it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Leroy42 wrote: »
    TBH honest I don't get the point of the offer.

Tesco are saying that saying that in the likelyhood that items are cheaper elsewhere they will give you a voucher for the difference, once you meet their criteria, and the voucher is only useful for buying in their store again?

Why not just go to the at least same price competition from the off? Of course one cannot also make the trip but the offer is so needlessly complicated that I doubt anybody actually get any perceived any value from it at all.

Because they would then become a discount store.
    And probably go out of business doing it.
    They are still the market leader remember. The vast majority of the public still prefer to shop in middle market stores like Tesco, Supervalu and so on.
    As do I to be trueful .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I got a €6 price promise voucher one day in Tesco - when I checked the details online, it was mainly due to a single leg of lamb plus strawberries. The next few times, I got 12c, then nothing.

It really doesn't mean much - I'll always shop depending on what's closest to me and what I need.

Advertisement