Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedforward & Feedforward public - Why are they not read only?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok a bit of an odd one but seeing what's get posted in the above forum (which does not belong there as shown by the list of locked/moved threads) I simply wonder why the forums are not set to read only? The debate that was spawned is now dead, buried and turned into legends for the ages to come so is there any real reason to keep them open for posting?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yip, good point.

Now, if I can only figure out how to do that..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I discussed the matter privately with someone else this evening, and I have given it some thought this weekend.

Feedforward was basically a Constitutional Convention at a time when the site and to be fair, Boards.ie ltd. was going through a transitional period. The whole process was incredibly bureaucratic and not really good in keeping with something you would want to do on the regular. As such, it never became a proper part of the website's Statecraft. It did however, create some of the statecraft that helps the site run today like the Dispute Resolution Procedure and iirc some revisions to the website's Terms and Conditions. So it served more of a purpose than Mustard ever did. Yes. I said it. Come at me. I dare you. Hell, I dare Amp.

Since feedforward there is a helluvalot less cries of Mod Clique and Fight the Powah and basically all those other negative vibes that happened as a result of friction in how issues were handled and settled. Threads get moved out of there or locked because they are frankly handled just as well elsewhere - feedback, site development, and forum requests, being the most frequent thread transfer locations; others are locked for being spam, utterly perplexing in nature, or involve a specific incident that needs to be settled in DRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I think feedforward is something we would like to have around as an option in the future if it becomes necessary again. It worked well the last time (thanks FF mods!) and I'd hate to see it go. As Overheal said, it was influential and necessary at the time but it is a bit too cumbersome a tool for everyday use.

Advertisement