Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise 520d F10 (10 reg) vs 320d F30 (12 reg)

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Following the demise of my C-class I need a replacement vehicle.

I'm planning to do BMW this time and have a budget of £18000 (excluding VRT and travel) Planning to buy from the UK.

I really like the 5 series as it's much bigger, looks more comfortable because I do about 400 - 500KM weekly.

I'm planning to get the car from the approved BMW program.

After a week of enquiring and I noticed that my £18k will get me a 2010 520d.

On the other side i realised I could get a 2012 320d with similar or less mileage with the same budget

Specs I'm looking for will be
    Mileage <40000 miles
    Transmission Automatic (not so important for the 320d)
    Navigation
    Leather interior

I can't seem to make up my mind.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Should be able to get a 2011 520d with <30000 for £18k

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2tek

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Should be able to get a 2011 520d with <30000 for £18k

I am searching via Official bmw dealerships (because of the 1 to 2 year warranties).
    Its only 2010 F10 that fall within my budget.

I'm not keen on car supermarkets. Heard crazy stories.

So you will take the 520d over the 320d?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

one thing I would say op, is that at 400-500km weekly, you will be racking up hefty enough mileage, depends on how long you want to keep the car, bear in mind depreciation will be the biggest cost. I saw a 2014 520d auto on autotrader.co.uk from a dealer for 14k sterling the other day. I believe the timing chain issue was to have been rectified from 2011 on...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89963128#post89963128

Idbatterim wrote: »
    one thing I would say op, is that at 400-500km weekly, you will be racking up hefty enough mileage, depends on how long you want to keep the car, bear in mind depreciation will be the biggest cost. I saw a 2014 520d auto on autotrader.co.uk from a dealer for 14k sterling the other day. I believe the timing chain issue was to have been rectified from 2011 on...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89963128#post89963128

I know the miles I cover is crazy. Its mostly motorways.
    Will definitely have it under the extended warranty cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The F10 is a nicer looking car than the F30 imo. I'd recommend you get as good a warranty as possible though. I'm reading F10s are starting to suffer from timing chain issues now too. :(

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The F10 is a nicer looking car than the F30 imo. I'd recommend you get as good a warranty as possible though. I'm reading F10s are starting to suffer from timing chain issues now too. :(

Thanks for that.

Just read up on the timing chain issues on the N47 engines.

Now i'm not sure if its a great idea to get the BMW.

The dealership gives 1 year AUC warranty and i'm trying to factor in the cost of an extended warranty when that expires.

I cant seem to be able to get a quote without having the cars reg.

Planning to keep the car for 3/4 years.

Alternative option will be to look at a 2011 car as i heard the timing chain issue was "rectified" from April 2011 or so.

It was supposed to be fixed but I'm hearing that 3 year old cars are also having this issue, even F30s though the numbers are not high but that could be down to the fact they don't sell in great numbers here.

Hard one to call really as they are a lovely car. A 525d might be worth finding as that has a different engine, rare enough to find though.

Shame really. Read that the 525 and 530s engine is from the same family.

The 520d is the most popular sold i'd say hence the higher numbers of failure rate.

I really have to rethink. I cant afford a 525/530d (VRT and Road tax)

If i get a 520d with AUC + Extended warranty i can still chance it.

But in my normal luck i'm sure i will be the one that gets the 520d with a destined to fail timing chain!

Hell my W204 was burnt out randomly!! How is that for luck

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

2tek wrote: »
    I know the miles I cover is crazy. Its mostly motorways.
    Will definitely have it under the extended warranty cover.

Average of 450 km per week is only ~13-14k miles a year. For me that is petrol territory. Get a better deal on a 5series petrol with less issues for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

christy02 wrote: »
    Average of 450 km per week is only ~13-14k miles a year. For me that is petrol territory. Get a better deal on a 5series petrol with less issues for that money.

There aren't any petrol 2010 on 5 series for sale in this country.

There aren't any petrol 2010 on 5 series for sale in this country.

Op clearly said he is importing from uk if you bothered to read the thread. Few 520i's on sale in uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Op clearly said he is importing from uk if you bothered to read the thread. Few 520i's on sale in uk.

Missed that bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I'd agreed 450km isn't that huge of a mileage at all.

I wouldn't recommend buying a 520i as it'll be much more difficult to move on than a D.

Just a pity that as a nation we've gone so nuts on diesels.

Findind a petrol is a major task. Besides I won't be in a good trade in position in a few years.
    Diesel rules in this country.

2tek wrote: »
    Findind a petrol is a major task. Besides I won't be in a good trade in position in a few years.
    Diesel rules in this country.

True. Pity though. Some nice petrol 5 series in the uk. Good spec as well.

The way I see it you have a few choices here:

1. Buy a 520d and pay for an extended warranty.

2. Buy a 520d and budget to have the timing chain, glide rails, etc replaced in the short term.

3. Buy something else.

The way I see it you have a few choices here:

1. Buy a 520d and pay for an extended warranty.

2. Buy a 520d and budget to have the timing chain, glide rails, etc replaced in the short term.

3. Buy something else.

Looking at some 530d F10 now.
    Found a few 525d with the 6 cyclinder engine.

Strangely the VRT on the 525d is higher than the 530d despite that they have the same emissions.

Advertisement