Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42 prosecutions over substandard housing in Dublin city

Options
  • 14-04-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/court-substandard-housing-dublin-city-1394513-Apr2014/

Spotted this earlier, I'm having mixed feelings about it because of the rental shortage in Ireland at the moment.

From the article it would seem that the council has been corresponding with landlords to get their properties up to spec, and the prosecutions are based on those that didn't play ball.
    This is great news for tenants, as the standards of property is being kept in line.

However, if the landlords won't/can't get up to the minimum standards expected of them, will the councils be forced to shut down those rentals creating an even bigger shortage across the board.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It has already led to shortages and rent increases. While it may not be popular to say so some of the bed sitters were of an acceptable standard and available at rents which those on welfare or fixed incomes could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It has already led to shortages and rent increases. While it may not be popular to say so some of the bed sitters were of an acceptable standard and available at rents which those on welfare or fixed incomes could afford.

I know that may be an issue, but there is no mention of these prosecutions being linked to the legislation about bedsits. Assumption that may be, but media types would jump all over that angle IMO.
    There is a possibility that the prohibition orders are related to bedsits.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For there to be 1,320 units along the NCR alone they realistically have to be bedsits or former bedsits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

MYOB wrote: »
    For there to be 1,320 units along the NCR alone they realistically have to be bedsits or former bedsits.

I'd say there are a lot of studio apartments there now!

These inspections have been ongoing since 2012, so I'd say some of the correspondence was to renovate bedsits into a legal property.
    It says there were nearly 800 improvement letters issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I'd say there are a lot of studio apartments there now!

These inspections have been ongoing since 2012, so I'd say some of the correspondence was to renovate bedsits into a legal property.
    It says there were nearly 800 improvement letters issued.

I'd say that there were a lot of conversions to family homes. Many house also had to be changed to one flat per floor as listed dwelling require planning permission for all works and planning is not given for work on bedsitters or studios.

• Advertisement
Advertisement