Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Before Marriage

Options
  • 14-04-2014 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi All

Myself and my Fiancé are getting married in August but would like to set the ball rolling on purchasing our first home.

Does anyone know if you can apply for a mortgage as a couple before you are actually married?

We have been looking at purchasing now for some time and would like to purchase towards the end of this year as we have our deposit which would be approx 20% of the house cost saved already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

The application form doesn't say Applicant 1, Spouse!? Does it. It's tantamount to the the same as me and my brother or my mate buying a house together. The form simply says Applicant 1, Applicant 2. Ye will both be assessed jointly on yere circumstances and if the underwriter determines ye are able to make the payments, ye will get an offer. Any action that comes afterwards is for ye to handle if and when the time comes (separation, divorce etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP, please seek legal advice on this as applications from two single people and a married couple are different.
    Family Home Protection Act springs to mind immediately for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Thanks for your help.

By the time we actually purchase the house we would be married.

It would just be great to have the mortgage approved so we can start looking and have the funds ready for when we want to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We just bought a house as a couple recently, 'tenants in common' as it's called on the forms.

Advertisement