Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train a 2 year old labrador

• 14-04-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We have a two year old Labrador - we did not train him as a pup and is causing problems now. (our fault i know..) He is the most beautiful fun dog but is very very big and strong. As a result, I can not manage to walk him on the lead by myself. He is walked every day but in an area where all dogs are off lead. I am still very nervous doing this as he will not come back when called and is very prone to jumping on people and chasing other dogs.

I did bring him to a training classes as a pup but did not practice the training exercises during week so nothing was learned.

Can anybody recommend a good training book/DVD - I am looking to teach him the basic commands only at this stage (come back/sit/down/stop jumping and lead walking without resistance). Or recommend a good training class. I found the classes I attended before a little bit confusing and numbers were quite high.

I live in the Meath/Kildare area. Any advice would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Where in Kildare are you? I highly recommend Judith of Dogwise. She has classes in Rathangan and Clane.

What do you walk you dog in, ie Collar, harness etc? I highly recommend the Dogmatic headcollar.

http://dogwise.ie/

I wouldnt be letting him off the lead if you have no control of him. You could try jogging or cycling with him to burn off the energy. What about a River to go swimming in?
    Labradors are high energy dogs and need lots of stimulation and exercise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well for starters find something that he really really loves; if it's food then get sausages/chicken/what ever that he ONLY gets when walking with you. If it's a toy then find his perfect toy that he ONLY gets when walking etc. This is now your attention grabbing item that he should be aware you got to help him focus on you and give him a reason to care about you when out walking.

Next you need to start training where there are no distractions, usually this means your back yard by simply walking him around, stopping, and start walking again. Once you stop you can start praising him (and give him treat) every time he stops as well, he'll pick up quickly what gives him treats and what does not. Then extend that to sitting once you're stopping for treats. Once this is in his head start taking short walks outside and repeat the process and slowly extend the range and interactions. Once again reward him for doing it correctly and give the praise and reward when in the right position (you'll cut down on this as times goes along as a side note).

In regards to walking and pulling there's several good threads on the various harnesses you can use to help with this etc. If you want some quicker progress consider getting a certified behavourist to help you (they will spot queues etc. you might not think or spot yourself) as it should speed things up very quickly.

Oh and pictures please; I love Labs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dasher565

Hi. Thanks for reply. I live near maynooth and use a collar and lead. I will have a look at both of your recommendations. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

+1 AndreaC

Two things def try the Dogmatic head collar worked wonders on my dog.

Also cycle him, he's high energy this will help relax him a bit.

What food are you feeding him? dog food can also lead to hyperness , poor behaviour in dogs.

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/dog_bicycle_baskets/biking_leads/140001

wouldnt cycle by neck collar i used a harness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah well then the Clane classes would be ideal for you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I third the dogmatic, it's great. I trained my now 4 year old on it when he was two and had no problems. Re the jumping, when he goes to jump on you turn your back on him and he will soon learn.
    Defo don't let him off lead if he has no recall, it will end in him following a dog in heat or a squirrell some day.
    A good way to try the "sit command"is hold a bit of cheese over his nose until he goes so far back he will sit then reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dasher565

Hi thanks for all the replies. I have been in contact with Dogwise and hope to start classes in a few weeks time.

I am feeding him Mazi Zoo's own brand - Select Gold.

I am going to look more into the Dogmatic collar.

Thanks!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We've got a staffie labrador cross and she's very high energy. We have a kind or backpack thing that she wears when we're out walking and we put a few bits in it to give it a bit of weight, it tires her out more. Check with your vet before you do this though, we brought our girl down to the vet and he told us what sort of backpack to give her and what sort of weight should be in it, so that there's enough to give her a bit of an extra workout, but not anywhere close enough to hurt her.

Advertisement