Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland Rivalries/Derbies

• 14-04-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this piece on Wikipedia today and got me wondering about rivalries in our league in general.

With five Dublin based clubs currently competing in the league and a number of defunct clubs over the years the city of Dublin hosts a large amount of derbies each season. These are:

-Bohemians vs Shamrock Rovers (Dublin Derby)
    The biggest rivalry in the league. Following the demise of Drumcondra in the 1960s, Bohemians became the only major club from the Northside of Dublin, automatically coming into conflict with southsiders, Shamrock Rovers. Over the decades, the rivalry has been extremely fierce both on and off the field,[1] with disturbances breaking out before, during and after fixtures, resulting in an excessive Garda presence at games. The attendances at the game had been declining for thirty years, but attendances unexpectedly rose in 2009, largely due to Rovers moving in to Tallaght Stadium and Bohs' status as league champions, with the attendance at one game tripling on the previous encounter.[2]
    The rivalry features elements of the North-South cultural divide that exists in the city with the Northside generally seen as working class, while the Southside is seen as middle to upper-middle class.

-Bohemians vs Shelbourne (Northside Derby)
    The oldest derby in the league, the two are the only still functioning clubs from the original 1922 League of Ireland season and completely dominated early pre-Irish Republic league football; they competed together in the old Belfast-centered (now Northern) Irish Football League. Today they are they second and third most successful league sides and while the rivalry receded over the years at the start of the 2000s it reached its most heated as the two became the best clubs in the country winning between each other six consecutive titles. Ahead of the final game of the 2004 season free spending Shelbourne chairman Ollie Byrne announced the capture of three key Bohemians players live on RTÉ angering many Bohs fans who saw it as a tactic of buying up the opposition. Ironically after Byrne's death and Shelbourne's subsequent relegation due to financial insecurities Bohemians signed a number of Shelbourne players.

The rivalry is significant as their home grounds in North Dublin are the closest to each other of any clubs in the league at just under two miles apart. Shelbourne based at Tolka Park in Drumcondra and Bohemians at Dalymount Park in Phibsboro and while the game is referred as the Northside derby Shelbourne were actually formed in Ringsend in South Dublin and only moved to Tolka Park in 1989 (although they had played there occasionally during their history), this adds to the feud as they are seen as moving to Bohs territory. Despite the move to Tolka coinciding with a revival in Shels fortunes (they have won six of their 13 league titles and four of their seven cups since 1990) they have struggled to attract significant support on the Northside with only Marino and East Wall being seen as stronger bases for supporting Shels over Bohs.

-Shamrock Rovers vs St. Patrick's Athletic (Southside Derby)

A growing rivalry due to the proximity of the two clubs since Shamrock Rovers' move to Tallaght in 2009. Sometimes called the 'Luas Derby' as both Inchicore and Tallaght are served by the Red Luas line. Noted as one of the more colourful derby, with both clubs main fan group (SRFC Ultras and Shed End Invincebles) being formed in 2001 before others in the league.

-Shelbourne vs St. Patrick's Athletic (Red Derby)

Sometimes referred to as The Red Dublin derby due to the similar shirts they wear. During the 2001-02 season St. Pat's were deducted 9 points for fielding an ineligible player, these were reinstated before a further 15 points were deducted pushing St. Pat's from 1st place to 3rd and allowing Shels to win the title with 10 more points. Revived last season after Shelbourne's 5 years in Division one. Due to the prominence of the Bohemians-Shamrock Rovers rivalry the media often portrays this as the second most important in Dublin, however traditionally fans name Shels vs Bohs and Pats vs Rovers as their main rivals.

-Shamrock Rovers vs Shelbourne (Ringsend Derby)

This rivalry is contested by the two most successful League of Ireland sides with 17 and 13 titles respectively, however both clubs see Bohemians as bigger rivals.
    Named after the Ringsend area in the Eastern part of the Southside of Dublin. Despite both clubs now playing further afield their clubs names originate from Ringsend with Shelbourne taking their name from Shelbourne Road, and Shamrock Rovers’ name coming from Shamrock Avenue. Both clubs take pride in their origins and at recent fixtures between the two have held up banners claiming to be ‘Ringsend’s Number One’ (Shels) and 'The Pride of Ringsend’ (Rovers).

-Bohemians vs St. Patrick's Athletic (City Derby)

Probably the most placid rivalry between the big four. The two have rarely been competitive at the same times as each other and both see Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne as more important rivals.

UCD vs the Big Four
    University College Dublin's support base consists of only around 50 fans which means during derbies there is often more away fans than home supporters.

-Dundalk vs Drogheda (Louth Derby)

The Louth derby is contested by Drogheda United and Dundalk. The derby had not been played in many years due to the clubs being in different divisions, however with Dundalk's promotion to the Premier Division for the 2009 season, the derby has recommenced. It has lived up to its status so far with four red cards in the four meetings this year. Dundalk have had the upper hand, winning both of their home games while drawing away at United Park.

Other derbies I'm aware of include The Northwest Derby contested between Derry City and Finn Harps and the so-called Midlands Classico between Longford Town and Athlone Town. However these rivals are in different divisions so cannot meet in league encounters at present. Same would go for the Connaught Derby between Sligo Rovers and Galway FC. Is there any rivalry with Limerick and Cork City? Or Wexford Youths vs Waterford United maybe?

Outside of location based derbies I know Cork and Shels fans on here had a bit of a dislike for each other and wasn't there a bit of back and forth between Sligo and Shamrock over who was the most dominant version of SRFC?

I'm very curious to find out what the Dublin rivalries outside of Bohs and Rovers are like so would love to hear from fans of those teams relating to that.

PS- I heard Bray vs UCD is worse than River Plate vs Boca Juniors.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

To me the big derby is Rovers v Pats

The Sligo thing with Rovers is also helped by some older Sligo fans still going on about the referee giving a penalty in Sligo back in the late 70s I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Bohs Rovers will always dominate but my Favourite back in the late 90s early 00's was Bohs V Shels.

Both sides at the time were the first clubs to go Professional and the big crowds added to the atmosphere, Matches were always decent exhibitions.

Witnessed a Rovers V Pats derby and it was one of the worst matches ive seeing live but the atmosphere and colour were great.

Bohs v Pats is always a good occasion, Atmosphere isn't Bitter, One for the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Cork/Shels isn't an actual thing, we were just successful at the same time (like the 2 Rovers teams) and were both in the First Division at the same time. Like Sligo, Cork don't have a strong local rivalry so it's bigger for them, whereas Bohs and Rovers have always been the games that excited me most, hopefully we are back to those games next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Derry and Finn Harps have a big rivalry.

Its just a pity Cobh isnt a bigger town because its really too small a place to have a rivalry with and we are too far away from anywhere else to really develop a "Derby" spirit.

There are advantages in that - the focus is just on one club and seems to result in bigger attendances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

What's the rovers/bohs games like these days? Last one I was at was at Tolka, probably around 07/08. Fairly hostile atmosphere, the minutes silence was interrupted by booing etc and the bohs end made a run at the rovers end during the second half.

That aside though, it was a brilliant atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Derry and Finn Harps have a big rivalry.

Its just a pity Cobh isnt a bigger town because its really too small a place to have a rivalry with and we are too far away from anywhere else to really develop a "Derby" spirit.

There are advantages in that - the focus is just on one club and seems to result in bigger attendances.

I strongly disagree. The last thing anyone needs is more people from Cobh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭secman

Presumably Drogs V Dundalk is a biggy up there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

secman wrote: »

Yeah it is. Minutes silences at derbies are the stupidest idea there is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

secman wrote: »

Id much rather beat Rovers than Drogheda and know many in late twentys early thirtys that think the same, although Drogheda is bigger with the younger generation

LiamoSail wrote: »
    What's the rovers/bohs games like these days? Last one I was at was at Tolka, probably around 07/08. Fairly hostile atmosphere, the minutes silence was interrupted by booing etc and the bohs end made a run at the rovers end during the second half.

That aside though, it was a brilliant atmosphere

The Tolka derbies in 2007/2008 were awful spectacles on the pitch. 2008 remains one of my least favourite years as a Rovers fan on and off the pitch. Scully got more and more stubborn and there was the interminable wait for Tallaght off-the pitch. Not far off relegation..

They've been better in recent years as Rovers matched Bohs in 2009/2010, overtook them in 2011 and fell back to two midtable teams last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Only really Bohs and Pat's for me.

You get briefly annoyed by other teams when they're doing well like Shels or Dundalk but it's not enduring.

Sligo tried to get one going in recent years but it's more on their side really, bless them. Kinda like a needy girlfriend that you're fond of but don't want to get serious with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

CSF wrote: »
    Cork/Shels isn't an actual thing, we were just successful at the same time (like the 2 Rovers teams) and were both in the First Division at the same time. Like Sligo, Cork don't have a strong local rivalry so it's bigger for them, whereas Bohs and Rovers have always been the games that excited me most, hopefully we are back to those games next year.

It's a generational thing, depending on when you started following City. If it were in 90/91, Dundalk would be high up, after beating us for the league on the last day. In the late 90s, Pats, for pipping us to the title. In 2004-2006 and 2010-2011, Shels. 2007, maybe Drogheda (though, that was a short-lived rivarly). Any other time, probably Rovers. They've really been the only consistent rivalry with City fans. For most fans, that's probably the big one. For plenty who started following the club at a time when Shels weren't really up to much, they see them as nothing.

I used to really like the Shels ones, but the matches haven't really been much good lately atmosphere-wise. Apart from the 4-1 win and the 94th minute league winner, they've not been great. They've only attracted in and around 2,000, maybe less, whereas there used to be 5,000-6,000 at these fixtures in the Cross back in 2004-2006. Rovers seems to be the main one again, with Pats second.

City v Waterford used to be good 2004-2007 and it re-ignited a small bit again, when we were demoted. Most City fans probably want them to do well enough (but not as good as us), because being in the same division means a short away trip. Limerick and Cobh were never rivalries - the fans tend to get on grand. They're handy away trips, though, so relatively big travelling City crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

"at recent fixtures between the two have held up banners claiming to be ‘Ringsend’s Number One’ (Shels) and 'The Pride of Ringsend’ (Rovers)."

21ctpqa.jpg2u3vecj.jpg

We know which teams fans are more fond of their roots.........

Shels and Pats is probably the derby that means the most to me due to being born and bred in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Are Shels from Ringsend?

Are Shels from Ringsend?

Yup, also interesting fact that we were named at the toss of a coin under Bath Ave railway bridge! Shelbourne FC or Bath FC were the options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shels and Pats is probably the derby that means the most to me due to being born and bred in Dublin 8.

Why is it Gavin 'shels' and not Gavin 'pats'? What drew you to Shelbourne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Sligo Rovers v Finn Harps used to be pretty big, and pre-dates Harps v Derry. Obviously, both clubs have had very different fortunes over the last number of years, but it used to be pretty intense. I remember the Harps manager was knocked out by a Sligo fan one year in a late season top of the table clash in the First Division match in the 90's

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why is it Gavin 'shels' and not Gavin 'pats'? What drew you to Shelbourne?

My aul lad is a bogger, when he moved to Dublin for work one of the lads there was a footballer. He played with Pats first, then moved onto Shels and then up to Drogs, my dad used to go along to the matches in Dublin to watch him. My aul lad was living in Rathmines so was handy getting to Harolds Cross.

He kept supporting Shels as well Drogs wasn't an option. Funnily enough Pats/Shels was my first match at a couple of months old but when I hit 13 my dad started trekking me over to Tolka, 2003 being my first season so it wasn't too bad to start off with. My aul lad stopped going due to work, so I'd grab a few mates then they went their ways (with one going to Rovers after their stint in the First Divison).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pats vs Rovers is the biggest for us. Usually the biggest crowds in Richmond and Tallaght, generally a cracking atmosphere and apart from the Cup Semi Final in 2010 when Shams invaded the pitch reasonably little trouble. Some of my favourite matches would be our 5-1 victory in 2012 and the 0-4 victory in Tallaght.

Pats vs Bohs would be the second biggest in my eyes. Bohs usually bring a decent crowd to Richmond and we usually bring a good crowd to Dalymount. Good atmosphere, some large amount of chants about drugs at the matches. A good bit more than Rovers or Shels. Match quality can vary mostly decent although there has been some awful ones aswell.

Pats vs Shels would be a bit behind those two for me although thats probably different to most other Pats fans. Shels dont bring as many fans as Rovers or Bohs. Good atmosphere at the matches usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Shels fan.

I personally hate SPA the most, insufferable fans really.

Then Bohs, they smell weird. I have to pass Dalyer to go almost anywhere, and I always give a loud "Booo" in the car, my wife thinks I'm weird :D

I don't hate Rovers for some reason, I actually have relations who support them, and I know another couple of actual sound Rovers fans.

• Advertisement

Then Bohs, they smell weird. I have to pass Dalyer to go almost anywhere, and I always give a loud "Booo" in the car, my wife thinks I'm weird :D

Nonsense, it's perfectly rational behaviour:D

I'd be moreso wondering why he's going around sniffing Northsiders..

I'd be moreso wondering why he's going around sniffing Northsiders..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Shels fan.

I personally hate SPA the most, insufferable fans really.

I don't hate Rovers for some reason, I actually have relations who support them, and I know another couple of actual sound Rovers fans.

And another Shels fan :cool:

Okay, I'm relatively new to the club, since I only live in Ireland for 9 years, but from what I have experienced so far, the highest level of hostility towards Shels seems to come from SPA, Bohs and Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Damien Richardson vs The English language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Rovers the biggest and the only enduring one needless to say. Shels briefly registered but didn’t last.

The Bohs-Rovers thing has obviously taken off among itk “football tourists” [for want of a better phrase]. People I have met from different countries are very aware of it and have a certain level of respect for it similar to what you have for Rome, Belgrade etc. Aside from the usual healthy smattering of fans of other LOI clubs, at the most recent game at Dalymount there were loads of foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Drumconda FC vs Shamrock Rovers

the original Northside Southside Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lars1916 wrote: »
    And another Shels fan :cool:

Okay, I'm relatively new to the club, since I only live in Ireland for 9 years, but from what I have experienced so far, the highest level of hostility towards Shels seems to come from SPA, Bohs and Cork.

Not you Lars, but its just that Shels fans in general seem to be the easiest to wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Not you Lars, but its just that Shels fans in general seem to be the easiest to wind up.

It takes a lot to wind me up, and I'm not even supposed to be wound up. I kind of work in Tolka ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Youths & Limerick used to be a good one until they spoiled it by getting promoted :mad:

All we're left with now is The Blaas, but they seem to have given up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Athlone and Longford is a relatively new rivalry. Longford weren't elected to the league until 1984 so Athlone wouldn't have played regularly against them, barring the odd cup game, until the mid 1990s when we were relegated. I remember we would have been bigger rivals with Galway United in those years, although the rivalry with Longford has developed and now would be bigger, especially with the success they experienced while we were at our lowest ebb. Dare say if we got Galway in a cup game it'd be tasty enough though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The rivalry features elements of the North-South cultural divide that exists in the city with the Northside generally seen as working class, while the Southside is seen as middle to upper-middle class.

Never really considered most Shamrock Rovers fans to be middle to upper-middle class to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There was a period about 10 years ago when Limerick and Cobh had a lovely rivalry. They didn't so much play matches as have organised fights with a ball thrown on there. Dirty tackles, red cards all round. It was great fun.

Never really considered most Shamrock Rovers fans to be middle to upper-middle class to be honest.

Agreed. Just what was on the article. I'd consider most LOI fans to be from working class backgrounds actually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Agreed. Just what was on the article. I'd consider most LOI fans to be from working class backgrounds actually.

The lines between working class and middle class are quite blurred these days. I'm not sure I'd agree with the above in general though? I'd say most are middle class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as if the whole of the south of the city is lapping it up in Upper Middle class luxury - talk about a sweeping Generalisation - bad wiki

Advertisement