Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Residence, Stamp Duty & Other Questions

Options
  • 14-04-2014 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, not sure if I should post this here or in the legal section. I'm trying to figure what to budget for legal expense in a possible house purchase. Hoping somebody here may have some similar experience. I'm considering buying in either Naas or Newbridge in County Kildare. I currently living in an area that will struggle to sell. I don't need to sell and I've enough cash to buy a decent 3 bed in Nass or 3/4 bed in Newbridge.

My main question is if I buy a (second hand) home with the view to this being my primary residence will it be subject to the 1% stamp duty rate or will I have to pay the 2% stamp duty rate ? The new home when purchased will be the primary residence, my current one I'll either sell (could be left waiting along time) or rent.

Secondly - What type of legal fees would I be likely to pay with regards to the purchase ?

Thirdly - If I see a house I like would it speed things along/help secure a sale to use the vendors solicitor as my own ? Is this recommended ?

Finally - Is cash still King in commuter towns like Naas/Newbridge or are banks lending for these area's. Are they beginning to see a rise in prices like Dublin leading vendors to hold out for more ?

Sorry for all the questions, any comment/advise welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Bump:)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    My main question is if I buy a (second hand) home with the view to this being my primary residence will it be subject to the 1% stamp duty rate or will I have to pay the 2% stamp duty rate ? The new home when purchased will be the primary residence, my current one I'll either sell (could be left waiting along time) or rent.

1% stamp duty is payable on all property purchases below E1,000,000 and 2% is payable on the balance of the purchase price over E1,000,000
    Secondly - What type of legal fees would I be likely to pay with regards to the purchase ?

I would consider E1,800 plus VAT, outlays and stamp duty to be quite reasonable for purchase, mortgage and First Registration if required.
    Thirdly - If I see a house I like would it speed things along/help secure a sale to use the vendors solicitor as my own ? Is this recommended ?

This is no longer possible.
    Finally - Is cash still King in commuter towns like Naas/Newbridge or are banks lending for these area's. Are they beginning to see a rise in prices like Dublin leading vendors to hold out for more ?

Sorry for all the questions, any comment/advise welcome. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This would be a very foolish route - the vendor and their solicitor could have you sign anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Victor wrote: »
    This would be a very foolish route - the vendor and their solicitor could have you sign anything.

Not that any reputable Solicitor would ever act in such a manner that would amount to a fraud but this is no longer permitted by the Law Society as it is a conflict of interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Thanks for the feedback, I asked about the using the same solicitor based on a previous house sale where I was the vendor and the buyer used my solicitor as they where not happy with their own. Granted I found it strange at the time (7 years ago) but it did speed things up alot and it was a smooth transaction.

Any feedback on price rises in the commuter towns I mentioned ? Are they going up (at all) or as quickly as seems to be happening in certain parts of Dublin? While I'm in a position to buy now, I'd prefer to hold off for a while longer but not if there is a chance the prices will rise significantly.

Again any feedback would be welcomed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement