Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping List for a new pup

• 14-04-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

We have a new pup (terrior X) coming in the next couple of months :D
    So I've been looking up a lot of products. There's so many on the market it's easy to get confused.
    So really just looking for peoples advice on what is essential when bringing home a new pup.
    I have 90% made up my mind on what food to use (james wellbeloved) but I still have to have a look in the pet shop on the long mile road to see what they have.
    Other than that my list so far is
    crate, mattress & blankets
    collar, lead & harness
    bowls, toys, training treats, I want to get some sort of bell or wind chime that makes noise to leave at the back door for toilet training. Although I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, maybe just a command word and praise would be better.

Is there anything I'm missing and is there anything you would add or recommend to get.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Congrats on the new puppy... fun times ahead :D you must post a pic when they little pup arrives!

Firstly you will have to continue feeding the pup on the same food the breeder has fed him / her on, just for a few weeks let the pup settle in, then change over.

When changing over do it slowy over a period of 7 days... 50/50 each day so not to upset the tummy etc.

Secondly personally I wouldnt buy food froma pet store, usually they push the food the actually sell rather than a good quality food.

Personally I buy ALL my guys stuff online here:

http://www.zooplus.ie/

Everything gets delivered usually within 5 days etc, Ive been using it now for over 8 years and never had a problem.

James wellbeloved is a good quality food.... I would go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a bell on my back door - you can get them from craft shops/sites much cheaper than the actual "dog bells" ;) Very handy but also annoying at times - my pup will stand ringing it non stop when she just wants to go out and mess/watch birds (ie not go to the loo) - the more we ignore her the louder she rings it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Zooplus for food.
    Done deal for the crate!
    Amazon for the leads/harnesses and bowls.
    2 euro shop for the poopy-bags

Pet shops will fleece ya!

Toilet training and crate training, while tough at the start, are (in my opinion) the MOST important things to get right!

I'm not a fan of an 'area' to pee on and newspapers. IF you have the yard AND the will-power... Set your alarm at 2.5 hour intervals at night and bring the pup out to pee. Use a command and reward.

Don't just lump a pup into a crate. Introduce it slowly (with positive treats etc) and build the time spent in it.

Invest in a Kong! We never had one on Hugo but bought two when Jack arrived to keep him busy when alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If its an 8 week old puppy, you will want some worming tablets.
    If you know the breeder, you could ask them to give you a rag or soft toy that was in with the litter, so that your puppy will have a scent of 'home' for a couple of nights to help him settle (sounds daft but I have always done this with any incoming puppies :D)
    Dont buy a collar/leash that is too expensive - 1st ones will be very quickly grown out of!
    LOvely to have a puppy to look forward to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Oh, and I'd leave the matress off that list - a pup will (most likely) eat it. You don't want the worry of blankets or stuffing working its way through their gut.

Speaking from experience...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 dkod

Petplanet.co.uk for crate. fab value. Vet bed for crate as super easy to wash and dry as well as being super comfy. Get a large bit and half as always have a spare then. I must admit to getting great value from crates as i use one for the car and find it fab as car does not get dirty and my dog is more relaxed as he was not a car lover. Enjoy. Good times ahead. X

Advertisement