Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growling when I touch his paws.

• 14-04-2014 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

New behaviour I have just noticed is that if I touch the dogs hind paws I get a low growl, soetimes even a baring of the bear. He has never snapped or anything, but I'd prefer he didn't growl.

Now, the vet told me ages ago that the type of growl he does is more a "go away and don't annoy me" type thing rather than something more sinister.

Any ideas? Is this soemthing that needs a trip to the vet, or is it soemthing that dogs just do not like.

He is a 20 month old cocker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Maybe his paw is sore, if he lets you check it and make sure there's nothing in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Our Springer does it too.
    She's the quietest, most obedient dog you could meet but she just don't like her paws touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If it was one paw in particular then I'd think a trip to the vet was in order.

However, if it's just his paws in general, I wouldn't be too worried. Dogs are funny about having their paws touched if you don't make them used to it from an early age. I'm convinced my dogs have ticklish paws, they don't mind their feet held, but if you touch their pads they flinch lol.

You could try desensitizing him to having his paws touched, maybe start by teach him to give the paw (if he doesn't know how to already) by holding a treat in your hand such a way that he cannot reach it but can smell it, keep the treat up near his nose and the moment you see a paw lift off the ground (don't expect him to touch your hand straight away, it doesn't come naturally to some dogs) reward, gradually reward as the paw gets closer to your hand until your dog discovers that every time he touches your hand, he gets a treat.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

the front paws are not a bother. he gives the paw no bother and eagerly. Its just the hind paws.

I have checked to see was there a thorn or something in them, as it is both he growls about, but I cannot see or feel anything anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

gimmick wrote: »
    New behaviour I have just noticed is that if I touch the dogs hind paws I get a low growl, soetimes even a baring of the bear. He has never snapped or anything, but I'd prefer he didn't growl.

Now, the vet told me ages ago that the type of growl he does is more a "go away and don't annoy me" type thing rather than something more sinister.

Any ideas? Is this soemthing that needs a trip to the vet, or is it soemthing that dogs just do not like.

He is a 20 month old cocker.

My nine year old cocker is very similar... while he doesnt growl, it really upsets him and he pulls away (nothing wrong with his paws)... he really hates it, pulls away, if he's sleeping on the couch and my foot touches off his pads... he wakes up and moves his paw away...

Ive tried everything.. treats, rubbing his paws to get him used to it as a pup.... nothing, he just doesnt like it. so i leave him be to be honest.

He is the sweetest guy ever... never growled in his life let alone snapped so iff he doenst like his pads being touch i respect it and leave him be.

Strange litte mites they are :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My Shih Tzu hates people touching his paws too. Causes havoc when trying the trim his claws. It also doesn't help that my dog is a bit of a drama king!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 peach40

It could be that his nails are to long and causing him pain. or a lot of todays household cleaners can irritate a dogs paws if they are let to walk on the floor while it is wet.
    Did you get your dog as a puppy. if not then maybe he relates you touching his paws to a bad experience in his past. hope thats of help to you.
    Hope you can sort it out!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My Shih Tzu hates people touching his paws too. Causes havoc when trying the trim his claws. It also doesn't help that my dog is a bit of a drama king!

I use a dremel on my guy - he prefers it to the nail clippers and it's really fast. In fairness he's had a lot of bad experiences with his paws - uneven wear and worn pads before his operations, cracked nails after the operations, IVs/bloods, snapped dew claw etc so he has an excuse.

Can i ask you what is a dremel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A sanding tool...

• Advertisement

Thank you. I have 3 dogs from lab down to minature chua. all need nails done. where would you advise me to purchase this tool? IT WOULD SAVE ME SO MUCH! I love attending to my dogs myself and its there individual time alone with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

peach40 wrote: »
    Thank you. I have 3 dogs from lab down to minature chua. all need nails done. where would you advise me to purchase this tool? IT WOULD SAVE ME SO MUCH! I love attending to my dogs myself and its there individual time alone with me.

Google is your friend...

Op if it's his paws in general and not just one paw I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

peach40 wrote: »

I was using a cheap one my dad got in Tescos but got a new cordless one last month and love it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-3000-Series-Multitool-Accessories/dp/B0078LENZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397950510&sr=8-1&keywords=Dremel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Most likely it just annoys him and is not due to pain or injury in the area. Just like some people have areas they don't like touched a dog can be funny about it and the paws are usually the area they get annoyed with. When touching a dog in an area that is painful they usually will either yelp or whine or try to get away before they would growl or bare teeth. In this case he's probably just saying he would prefer if you pet him elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My dog Ali hates me touching her paws, she doesn't growl just sort of pulls away. My Mam reckons it's more part of her being a little lady than anything else. She just pulls her paw away and sort of blinks her eyes really slowly, it's weird.

Advertisement