Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought EU PSU, need help with kettle lead

Options
  • 14-04-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

So I bought all the parts for a new ITX build, and I bought the power supply (Corsair CX500 Modular) from Pixmania as it was cheapest there at the time. Of course, I made a silly mistake in buying from there as they sell EU based components, therefore it came with a EU 2 pin kettle lead for plugging it in rather than UK 3 pin kettle lead.

Unfortunately, although I can troubleshoot systems and build new specs from scratch I'm terrible with the electrical side of things, particularly voltages and amperages, what works and what doesn't. I'm just not cut out to be an electrician, pretty embarassing to be honest!

I'm curious as to what kind of UK kettle lead I should be looking for as the conflicting amp specs on the EU plug given is a little confusing to me. Does it need to match? For instance I have a 10A UK kettle lead in the house, but would that be safe to use in say a situation where there was power cut or surge or whatever? I took pictures of the EU kettle lead that arrived with the power supply and they should be attached below.

Thanks in advance for any help, its much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭estilen

You could just use an adapter. I used one with a power supply and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

estilen wrote: »
    You could just use an adapter. I used one with a power supply and never had any problems.

The only ones I have lying around came with shavers... I don't think those would withstand the current of 500w PSU for too long? Suppose, I can't really argue as I haven't a leg to stand on with frankly very little knowledge on the topic! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Any auld kettle lead will do, preferably with a 13A fuse but 10A would still be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

bassey wrote: »
    Any auld kettle lead will do, preferably with a 13A fuse but 10A would still be grand.

yeah 240V x 10 amp = 2400 Watts, should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Aaaahh... It sort of makes sense now when you lads put it that way. So in other words with a 850W PSU running at 240V, it would need a absolute minimum of about 3.55 Amps (same goes for fuse I presume?). Thanks for the replies, I ended up getting a 13A EU adapter in the hardware shop up the road and it works grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Power City if you have one near you

http://powercity.ie/?par=30-70-DP1202&brands=FLEMMING

Advertisement