Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cycling Books Thread - Discussion, Reviews, Recommendations Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paulyg123

I really enjoyed 'We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon', probably looses a bit in translation but great account of racing in the 80s.
    Any reports on the Emma O'Reilly book? After reading Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton I've read more than I'll ever need about Lance Armstrong but curious if its any good. Betsy Andreu gave Emma O'Reilly a right going over on Off the Ball on Newstalk a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭furiousox

Finally getting around to reading this one, just started it today.

Put%2Bme%2Bback%2Bon%2Bmy%2Bbike.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

furiousox wrote: »
    Another one due for release shortly (June 5th), anything by Richard Moore is always worth a read.

Etape_96dpi_400x600p_str.jpg

finished this a few weeks back. good enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Read "Racing Through the Dark" by David Millar on holiday recently, I thought it was a very interesting read and would recommend it.

As well as giving his insight into how the "doping system" operated and took hold of him it also has lots of insights and anecdotes into many other riders he came across in his career such as Armstrong, Vaughters, Wiggo and CAV. Not sure If I buy the analysis presented that his doping was predictable unavoidable given his upbringing and circumstances, however hats off to him for making the comeback he did and also taking the stance he took. He was indeed a very talented cyclist. The book stops at the end of 2010 season and as David has now only just finally retired this year four years later it would be interesting to see if a new updated edition will be issued.

Finished the Simpson book, very good well worth a read.
    Any new cycling titles coming out for Christmas?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Finished the Simpson book, very good well worth a read.
    Any new cycling titles coming out for Christmas?

The 5th Cycling Anthology is out in a few days have the others, read two , really good reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

Last four I have read

Faster by Michael Hutchinson - very interesting look at the science of cycling
    Domestique by Charlie Wegelius - dances around the drugs issue but good insight non the less
    The Cannibal - Daniel Friebe - about Merckx, not my favourite, a little boring
    Inside Team Sky - David Walsh - propaganda, not a real book.

It's not about the bike and Tyler Hamiltons book are still my favourites.

It's not about the bike?
    Why?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

It's not about the bike?
    Why?

Because his tag name is Pharma!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Paddigol wrote: »
    Got a 1st edition (is there any other?!?) copy of David Walsh's 1986 biography of Sean Kelly today. Delighted with myself!
    is that the 4 seasons book?

• Advertisement

Maybe this one?

7986545.jpg

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Maybe this one?

7986545.jpg

I have that one, its a second edition though innit?

RobFowl wrote: »
    I have that one, its a second edition though innit?

this is on I read from 1991,

512tNyETU1L._SL500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

drogdub wrote: »
    The 5th Cycling Anthology is out in a few days have the others, read two , really good reads.

Had not come across these books before, sound like a really interesting concept, must check them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

$_12.JPG

Reading this one at the minute. I think its from 2007 or so. Fascinating story but to be honest I find it dense reading in terms of style - find myself re-reading sentences to get the author's meaning*

*I could of course be thick.

$_12.JPG

Reading this one at the minute. I think its from 2007 or so. Fascinating story but to be honest I find it dense reading in terms of style - find myself re-reading sentences to get the author's meaning*

*I could of course be thick.

no your right, found it bit heavy going, great in parts but not one id read or go back to again

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Hi all, im going to get a few cycling related books but I don't know which ones to get. I like ones with race accounts in if you know what I mean, like roches tour diarys. Im not that interested in books about the drugs and Armstrong and all that. Any good books and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Hi all, im going to get a few cycling related books but I don't know which ones to get. I like ones with race accounts in if you know what I mean, like roches tour diarys. Im not that interested in books about the drugs and Armstrong and all that. Any good books and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Charly Wegelius book Domestique sounds like what you are looking for.
    David Millars book is a similar type as well.
    Wide eyed and legless is a good read as well.

Pharma wrote: »
    Charly Wegelius book Domestique sounds like what you are looking for.
    David Millars book is a similar type as well.
    Wide eyed and legless is a good read as well.

Definitely +1 on Domestique, one of my favourite books of any genre. Project Rainbow by Rod Ellingworth is good read about the training and behind the scenes stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Etape is very good in that regard...

Land of second chances was also very good..

Plus one for Millars book Racing in the Dark, but it is drug related.

Lantern Rouge was highly recommended to me but I found it to be a very slow read, excuse the pun..20 euro for a hardback on special-I was very disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I think Tyler Hmailton's book is a great read....yes there is the drug issue in it but there is so much more......about becoming a cyclist, training, the races...etc

I found Riis also interesting (again there are drugs but) with alot of acccounts of races and teams

Its just they are both easy reads and interesting

Anything by Richard Moore ...like Etape ...is also a godd read

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Road to Valour - The Gino Bartali story is one of the most fascinating cycling books going, a really incredible story.

Currently reading the Rwandan Cycling Project book, great thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

MPFG wrote: »
    I think Tyler Hmailton's book is a great read....yes there is the drug issue in it but there is so much more......about becoming a cyclist, training, the races...etc

I found Riis also interesting (again there are drugs but) with alot of acccounts of races and teams

Its just they are both easy reads and interesting

Anything by Richard Moore ...like Etape ...is also a godd read

Is Hamiltons book the secret race

Yep.
    It's basically the same story as "It's not about the bike", except it's true. :pac:

CPL 593H

Halfway through Richard Moore's Etape. Can't recommend higher. Brilliant read.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

Self promotion here. I was on the Average Joes 8 man team taking part in the Race Around Ireland in 2014. We wrote a book about our experience. Gives an insight into how to win an endurance race with the best support crew in the world :)

We published it through Lulu com.

www lulu com / shop / average-joes / miles-to-go-before-i-sleep / paperback / product-22079580.html

"The Race Around Ireland is a non-stop 2,200 km bicycle race that circumnavigates the island of Ireland anti-clockwise. It is held every year at the start of September and can be approached as a solo competitor, as a team of two, four or eight. In January of 2014, a group of cyclists from Maynooth Students for Charity Cycling Club decided to take on the challenge. They were told it was the toughest endurance race in Europe. This is the story, as told through the recollections of the participants, of how a bunch of Average Joes conquered the race and set a new Irish record time. It is a story of great adventure, of beating the odds, of battling inner demons and exceeding expectations. Ultimately it is a story of teamwork and lifelong friendship, because that’s what won the race."

All proceeds go to PWSAI.

We're planning for RAAM 2016 and looking for sponsorship. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Slaying the badger is a great read, I've just finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Finished a book on Italian cycling a few weeks back called Pedalere. Unless your mad into the history of Italian cycling and a bit of Italian politics it doesnt come highly recommended.

I want to get the biography of Eddy Mercx to add to my gathering collection of unread cycling books/dust pile. Anyone a recommendation on which author to get? Friebe or Fotherington? I believe Daniel Friebe is working on a biography of Jan Ulrich, wonder will it be the same bland nonsense that most of the top sports biographies tend to be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Just finished a great Cycling book, encourage people to read

book.jpg

Advertisement