Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing the Queen Bee for a spin....

• 14-04-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

After reading about KTRIC "Cirque Du Soleil" manoeuvre with the missus on the back pulling a wheelie got me thinking.....

How many peeps on here would bring the"other half" out for a spin? If you do tell us why, if you dont why not?

Or do you use the motorbike as a "gettaway" vehicle so she cant come :p

Would you take your "Significant Other" out with you for a spin? 37 votes

Yes. Of course, She/He is the flake in my Ice Cream!
    0% 0 votes
    Are ya mad....its the only chance I get to be FREE!!!!
    48% 18 votes
    Cant really talk....she reads my posts.
    40% 15 votes
    YOU FIND ME A PARTNER AND I TAKE HER EVERYWHERE.
    10% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I don't even have pillion insurance! It's my bike, so fúck off and find your own to ride on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Firstly, very good topic Wonda. Should bring lots of debate.

I personally would but im a long time off trying that. Im barley able to ride the bike on my own.

You would need a sunday spin + partners the odd sunday during the summer and the rest just the usual crew.
    You would also need to purchase his/her ppe.

At least she could cover my eyes and wipe the snot from me nose during fog:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Firstly, very good topic Wonda. Should bring lots of debate.

I personally would but im a long time off trying that. Im barley able to ride the bike on my own.

You would need a sunday spin + partners the odd sunday during the summer and the rest just the usual crew.
    You would also need to purchase his/her ppe.

At least she could cover my eyes and wipe the snot from me nose during fog:p

Who brings the glass bowl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I don't even have pillion insurance! It's my bike, so fúck off and find your own to ride on!

Lookbehindyou. I heard he has a large bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Not a fecking chance in hell I'd bring her on a Sunday spin, ye feckers would hang me out to dry and I'd be in the dog house until my kids are all grown up and left home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

i can barely drive the bike don't need to be roping anyone else in, also im 6"3 and she is 6"1 so unless she gets on the handlebars i doubt there would be room on the R6 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Yes, I have done many times. If she was a nervous or sh!t pillion, I wouldn't bother, but she's great on the bike. There was a time when she was always on it with me. So much so, that when she wasn't on it, the bike felt weird. She has her own bike, but still prefers to be on the back of mine sometimes. Don't see the need to refuse her if she has a genuine interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I would but she wouldn't go near the thing so problem solved.

Never riden 2 up before and I wouldn't start with herself either, that's what mates are for right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I hate being pillion. But as he is about 20kg heavier than me, when we are out on the bikes and one is being left somewhere (one of us has a drink, or dropping a bike off for servicing etc) then I end up on the back.

Hate the lack of control. I've taken friends on the back a few times, you really need to have a "chat" first with them about leaning (with me, not away) and things like not waving, trying to chat and the rest. Your braking distance is increased a lot also.

I have some buddies who take their wives/girlfriends along on long spins. They use bike to passenger comms kits. Don't think i'd ever do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Planning a trip atm for the summer with the missus on board. Been for a few spins and i think we've both enjoyed it. It was probably mostly my idea initially cos i wanted her to see how much fun riding a bike is, now its transformed into another thing we can do and both enjoy. I also find with a pillion you become extra cautious on the road, which is never a bad thing.

PS saying that, there is no better feeling than taking nice curves by yourself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

My other half would be out in a heartbeat if she could....her brothers mates had bikes growing up so she loved being on the back. When I got my 1st bike she knew I could not take a pillion, when I passed my test 6mths after getting my 1st bike I told her I was not "legally" allowed to carry a passenger for 5 yrs. She swallowed it hook line and sinker...lol, and she stops asking for lifts. That was until Lookbehindyou let it slip about a year later!!!!!

She was not impressed. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

As joe said great topic Wondaboy! I have taken my misses out a few times. And plan to a hell of a lot more now the new bike is bigger, more powerfull and much more comfortable. She knows it makes me happy been on the bike and I have too say she is a grand passenger as I hardly know she is there. I drive extra cautious if that is possible!! And would not try any wheelies or stopies etc.

That said I don't think I would ever take her out on a Sunday spin as that is my time for EATING THE ROAD and having the crack with the lads.

http://youtu.be/0ocWVgmkUSk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Taken mine a load of times. Although, she likes the comfort of the GS and top box with a pad for a backrest. I doubt she'd go on anything sporty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Lads go on bikes to have time away from the Moans and groans, same way as women go out on their bikes to get away from their fellas.
    I told mine that Sunday spins and Road races are for Riders only.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I took my new bird out last week. It was only the second time I had taken a pillion. I'd done it years ago - I had a Monster 620 then. Anyway I assumed it would be fine on the new bike but it was horrible. She loved it but I didn't like it at all. Bike felt very heavy and slow. I'm sure I will do it at some stage again but would not rush into it. I'd prefer to leave her at home and go off and have my own fun! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have done countless times for commuting and for going to places etc but have only once gone with her when just going for a spin for the sake of it in nice weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I took her out once with me...she doesn't get on the back of bikes anymore :D

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I took her out once with me...she doesn't get on the back of bikes anymore :D

Thats the way, scare her so she never wants to do it again....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Thats the way, scare her so she never wants to do it again....:pac:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

nah, sure first thing I do with my bikes is put a seat cowl on, and take the pillion pegs off :pac:

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    nah, sure first thing I do with my bikes is put a seat cowl on, and take the pillion pegs off :pac:

Nah then you look like a hungry "FOOKER" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My SO normally brings her own bike, but we went out on the H-D on Sunday for a short spin, she as pillion. Reminded me we haven't done that in years.

I've brought a few others over the years, but not so much recently.

There's definitely a skill to riding with a pillion - but it's like everything else - it can be rewarding to do it well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I might give it another go and hopefully get used to it. I still found it very uncomfortable as she has her arms around me and its puts a lot more pressure on my arms marking it uncomfortable. I think its possible cause on the blade the rear seat is quite far back and high up, so the weight of an extra person totally messes it up from normal. On my old bike, it was just one big seat so she was right up close against you but on this bike there is a big gap. Not much you can do really I'll just have to get used to it. Still one thing that I wonder, both of us are pretty small - but there are a lot of really big lads that would have almost the same amount of weight with just them! I'd hate my bike to feel like that all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

I was out for a random spin today with the missus, nowhere in particular just driving for the sake of it.

We also go to and back from college everyday, to be honest I'm so used to her being on the back now that the bike feels really light when she's not on it and I've to get used to it again, a pillion weight for me has become the norm lol.

Although if I get my way and convince her to buy her own that will all change.

for the record she's on the back of a Bros, with a Blade shock fitted, not very comfy but I don't hear many complaints (if I rev more) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

This is my second long weekend away with the misses on the back with three loaded back boxes and a tank bag... Maybe next trip I'll get to bring something.. Currently in cork with my new blackbird, brought her out on a cb400 and cbr600 before, was difficult to start cause she refused to use grab rail, but after a few trips she's a natural. You would barely notice except the snuggle you get when over taking at speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Not a hope. She told me i wasn't to get a bike so i saved like a whore and got one anyway. i get out on sunny Sunday mornings and can hear her sigh of disappointment when she sees ive returned home safely. apart form the bike we have a great marriage but if i ever hear the "It's me or the bike" speech BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

In my opinion, thrust and honesty and important when taking a pillion on a bike.

Then again, I think that honesty and trust are important in a relationship.

I don't think that I would stay in a relationship if there was not honesty and trust, but that is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

on with the seat cowl and off with the foot pegs every time , I want to enjoy myself far from premenstrual tension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

P.C. wrote: »
    In my opinion, thrust and honesty and important when taking a pillion on a bike.

Then again, I think that honesty and trust are important in a relationship.

I don't think that I would stay in a relationship if there was not honesty and trust, but that is just my opinion.

Thrust is definitely important in a relationship alright.
    I do get out for the sunday spins alright but the rest you have to take with a pinch of salt:pac:. there was a bit of disapproval at the start but she loves it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I've a rule of only taking people who are smaller than me, while the extra weight helps with me reaching the ground, the wind resistance is too hard to get used to & I ain't gonna date any man smaller than 5'2 :D

Advertisement