Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied for a viewing but landlord won't accept children

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

murphym7 wrote: »
    Imagine the scenario. My partner and I are child free and sign a lease and move in to a property, shortly after she gets pregnant and we have a baby. What happens then, We get evicted for breaking the lease? I haven’t seen a lease yet that mention no babies, maybe no pets, not no babies.
    So what happens then regarding insurance etc….
    Sounds like a loud of rubbish to me and personal preference of a landlord, which I have no issue with.

Insurance works on a full disclosure system - you have to inform your landlord of any changes to the status quo in relation to the renting.
    Having another person in the house is a change that must be highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is no evidence to give and you didn't show evidence. You incorrectly made a conclusion which isn't true. Are you not aware of our licencing laws regarding children? I won't bother get them for you but I know they are there if you don't that is your ignorance on a very well publicised piece of legislation.

I am aware of our licensing laws, as they are laws and i can go and google them. I am unaware of the law that states landlords can are exempt from discrimination legislation which is why i have asked as i cannot find it.

Refusal to grant a tenancy

Equality legislation applies to lettings and accommodation. You cannot discriminate against potential tenants on grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or membership of the Traveller community.

Have you nothing to show why landlords can refuse families and why this isn't discrimination on family status?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is no evidence to give and you didn't show evidence. You incorrectly made a conclusion which isn't true. Are you not aware of our licencing laws regarding children? I won't bother get them for you but I know they are there if you don't that is your ignorance on a very well publicised piece of legislation.
    In the case of licences premises are there not special age exemptions written into law? I don't know if similar exemptions exist in relation to this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

This is why...

aca067e2dfd51119831340e0c1e2450f65f72b81-468x312.png

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I viewed a property yday, informed letting agent we are a professional couple with a school going child. Deposit paid, contracts signed only to get a call last night to say that as there will be 3 of us in the property the landlord wants an extra 200pm rent! Is this even legal because were very upset over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

What does the contract say? Wouldn't be normal to be able to change the rent just like that.

4umbrellas wrote: »
    What does the contract say? Wouldn't be normal to be able to change the rent just like that.

Contract states the original amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I viewed a property yday, informed letting agent we are a professional couple with a school going child. Deposit paid, contracts signed only to get a call last night to say that as there will be 3 of us in the property the landlord wants an extra 200pm rent! Is this even legal because were very upset over it

and who signed the contracts? Just you guys or the LL/ agent as well?
    Do you have copies?

wexie wrote: »
    and who signed the contracts? Just you guys or the LL/ agent as well?
    Do you have copies?

It was only a standard contract I signed with pps number, employment references, that I wouldn't enter into any financial obligation I couldnt fulfil etc. Bonafide contract with specifics not yet signed as letting agent had to consult with landlord. Do I have a leg to stand on? At the moment I want my deposit returned and well look elsewhere its so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

It was only a standard contract I signed with pps number, employment references, that I wouldn't enter into any financial obligation I couldnt fulfil etc. Bonafide contract with specifics not yet signed as letting agent had to consult with landlord. Do I have a leg to stand on? At the moment I want my deposit returned and well look elsewhere its so frustrating.
    If contract not signed- no. You could try a case for discrimination under equality act as mentioned- is unlikely to be worth the effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was having trouble getting our landlord to sign before and was having concerns. Asked our solicitor (business so maybe different) and he said that having accepted the deposit and progressing so far into negotiations that effectively a contract did in fact exist. Maybe get similar advice if you want to stay with that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

radia wrote: »
    This is why...

aca067e2dfd51119831340e0c1e2450f65f72b81-468x312.png

Have to say when I was last looking at apartments. In a number of instances the landlord pointed out kids art work that meant the property would not be ready for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Wouldn't let to anyone with infants again. Once burned is enough.

Wear and tear was well over the norm.
    -The parents never opened the windows in case 'baby caught a draught'.
    -They also had load after load after load going into the washing machine, overloaded it, and broke it.
    -They dried clothes inside, and with the windows closed 24/7 and the heating on most of the time, it wasn't long before complaints of mold started coming back to me. Never had mold issues before or since.
    -Writing on walls
    -Stick on glow in the dark stars on the ceiling
    -stickers on walls, compliances, floors..
    -skirting and floors scratched and damaged from childrens toys
    -After they moved out, I found evidence of them using the large storage room as a 2nd bedroom for the kid.

That's just what comes to mind.. I've blocked some of it out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wouldn't let to anyone with infants again. Once burned is enough.

Wear and tear was well over the norm.
    -The parents never opened the windows in case 'baby caught a draught'.
    -They also had load after load after load going into the washing machine, overloaded it, and broke it.
    -They dried clothes inside, and with the windows closed 24/7 and the heating on most of the time, it wasn't long before complaints of mold started coming back to me. Never had mold issues before or since.
    -Writing on walls
    -Stick on glow in the dark stars on the ceiling
    -stickers on walls, compliances, floors..
    -skirting and floors scratched and damaged from childrens toys
    -After they moved out, I found evidence of them using the large storage room as a 2nd bedroom for the kid.

That's just what comes to mind.. I've blocked some of it out at this stage.

as with ra it is the bad ones who make it difficult for the decent ones. and this is in many ways understandable but not fair

I've contacted a solicitor so will see what the outcome is today!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hard for you at this time. but, and it is a but, probably healthier and more peacable for your future if, after you have successfully challenged him, you find somewhere happy to take you and your child.

but sort it out first! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graciefacey- as you are seeking legal advice, and have contacted a solicitor- I am closing your thread, as we are not allowed offer or comment on legal advice here.

Kind regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement