Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West-ish Coast Roadtrip

Options
  • 14-04-2014 7:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks. Looking for your travel tips and recommendations. Im a regular visitor to Northern California (San Fran/Bay Area) so Im using it as a starting point for an upcoming road trip.

Im driving from SFO and my loosely planned route sees me stay in Napa/Sonoma, drive to Tahoe City, through Death Valley to Vegas, next Grand Canyon, then onto either Flagstaff or Phoenix, across to L.A. and back up to SFO via Highway 1.

Its a loosely planned trip with little booked in advance. Any tips? Anyone ever driven through Death Valley from the Reno area to Vegas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I've driven from Reno through death valley but circuited back to LA from there, not to vegas. We took the 395 right the way down to the 190. Not a bad drive - we did it in one long day (c9 hours or so to death valley, stayed there for 2 nights then to LA).

Bring a lot of water, Fuel up whenever you can (we never let the gauge go below 1/2) and keep the AC to a minimum. We passed a lot of cars with their bonnets/hoods up trying to cool everything down.

It's well travelled, and there are plenty of places to stop off for food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My GF's sister had a holiday house in South lake Tahoe (thats the name of the town), its really the main town of the lake Tahoe area.

I'd stay in there and then head south. No need to go further north to Tahoe city or around the lake via carson city (there's nothing of interest in Reno or Carson City).

You'll save a day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 krishnalynn

If you can afford sticking to the coast a little longer, Big Sur is beautiful!

Advertisement