Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks are not open Good Friday

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would answer the question before it is asked.
    As it is asked very year.

Good Friday is a holy day
    It is not a public holiday
    It is a bank holiday

No banks or branches will be open on Good Friday
    No direct debits, standing orders or automated payments will happen Friday or Saturday or Sunday or Monday.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I bet there'll be at least one thread asking this question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

rameire wrote: »
    Just thought I would answer the question before it is asked.
    As it is asked very year.

Good Friday is a holy day
    It is not a public holiday
    It is a bank holiday

No banks or branches will be open on Good Friday
    No direct debits, standing orders or automated payments will happen Friday or Saturday or Sunday or Monday.

Post offices also closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

Also, don't forget that TARGET2 (the SEPA clearing system) is shutdown on the 1st of May. This will create great fun for people who are not expecting it, as the banks will still be open but there will be no transfers between banks.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Landlord is not going to be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Wouldn't you think a major system like SEPA would keep going? Most of it has to be automated anyway surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

4umbrellas wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think a major system like SEPA would keep going? Most of it has to be automated anyway surely?

The 1st of May is a bank holiday in Europe, the shutdown dates are well publicised and the 'Labour Day' holiday is the only day which does not correspond with an Irish Bank Holiday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARGET2#TARGET2_holidays

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

I'm just surprised it seems to need so much human intervention that it can't just be kept going for routine transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Shock horror, the banks fail to accommodate people....that could hardly be the case is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The banks don't want the people's business we just prop them up with our taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Shock horror, the banks fail to accommodate people....that could hardly be the case is it?
    The banks don't want the people's business we just prop them up with our taxes.

The banks (Irish and non-Irish) have never opened on Good Friday. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

4umbrellas wrote: »

29 of the 33 countries in SEPA have a Bank Holiday on 1st May. The European Commission also set 1st May as a Bank holiday for institutions of the European Union which includes the European Central Bank (ECB).
    ECB operate TARGET2 which is used to by banks to settle for interbank payments. As payments cannot be settled on 1st May then exchange between banks is not possible.

The exchange of payments in SEPA happens through a pan European clearing house which also closes on the 1st May. This closure will also result in Banks receiving their payments later on 2nd May and wages/salaries/ benefits will be posted to accounts later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Someone got out the wrong side of the bed today.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Just like the way they often seem to be closed for staff training at the exact time I want to use them. Just in the same way certain branches in my local towns still to this very day close at lunch time, again which so often seems to be the most inconvenient time for myself. Sorry now but I'm finding it hard to get over and think it is quite frankly unacceptable in modern day commercial practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Just like the way they often seem to be closed for staff training at the exact time I want to use them. Just in the same way certain branches in my local towns still to this very day close at lunch time, again which so often seems to be the most inconvenient time for myself. Sorry now but I'm finding it hard to get over and think it is quite frankly unacceptable in modern day commercial practice.

Let's arrange all the businesses to operate on your schedule!

A bit of a pointless response. I'm sure I'm far from the only one who only gets a chance to use the bank at lunch time. Probably just a bit coincidental that they were closed for staff training the times I went in but closing at lunch time just not good enough and puts out a hell of a lot more people than myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I knew that the bank was closed yesterday. But my local ulster bank is usually open on a Saturday and it's closed today too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Tow wrote: »
    Also, don't forget that TARGET2 (the SEPA clearing system) is shutdown on the 1st of May. This will create great fun for people who are not expecting it, as the banks will still be open but there will be no transfers between banks.

Can I get this straight - there will be no interbank transfers whatsoever on 1st May 2014? Why isn't this being more publicised given it's a Thursday (and the first of the month) which is payday for a good chunk of people who possibly won't have prepared for it (it's first I've heard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Is it international transfers that are affected on 1 May?

Not domestic ones.

Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

A business usually does have to operate to a customers schedule, ridiculous statement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What a crass comment! Are you a complete idiot or just another bank basher with zero understanding of the business or its place in the economy?
    Do you know that there is a rule here attack the post not the poster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

not trying so single you out here but would you not be able to use online banking? I think its great, especially on those occasions when i have to go to the bank for change. I'm always amazed at how many numptys are there lodging cash or withdrawing cash, even though there's a machine for that with no queue:rolleyes: I wouldnt mind the oldies but you see all the ones in the queue on their smartphones.

At last aib have a person 'on triage' which sends the numptys over to the machine.

digzy wrote: »
    not trying so single you out here but would you not be able to use online banking? I think its great, especially on those occasions when i have to go to the bank for change. I'm always amazed at how many numptys are there lodging cash or withdrawing cash, even though there's a machine for that with no queue:rolleyes: I wouldnt mind the oldies but you see all the ones in the queue on their smartphones.

At last aib have a person 'on triage' which sends the numptys over to the machine.

I do use the online banking digzy and find it very useful to be fair but not everything can be done on it. If I'm looking for a draft for example need to go into the bank to get that. Wouldn't be too often in fairness, not even often enough to warrant me having a cheque book. But they just never seem to accommodate me at the times I'd be free to be using them. Other bits and pieces too where I just need to go in on occasion.

Not entirely sure how the online banking would assist if you need to go into the bank for change. I'm guessing maybe it will allows you to put your order in, in advance and they will have it made up for you already when you go, even they may possibly have it at customer services desk to avoid you queueing for cashier.....could be wrong in saying that. If I am near the mark on my assumptions then this may save you time but presumably the bricks and mortar bank would still need to actually be open?

Not familiar with the expression "on triage" but presumably it means a staff member directing people on where they need to go/ alternatives based on the nature of their errant. Have seen this practice in BOI on occasion when I've being in there but for me I have always still had to queue for my errant.

ash23 wrote: »
    I knew that the bank was closed yesterday. But my local ulster bank is usually open on a Saturday and it's closed today too.

This is what I'm talking about. I don't see any legitimate reason why they should be closed last Saturday if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Same again this year. Closed today and Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

PTSB had an announcement in open24:

Payment Information for Easter Bank Holiday
    31 March 15

April 3rd and 6th (Good Friday and Easter Monday) are bank holidays in most EU countries.

As a result, the euro payments clearing and settlement system will be closed and credit transfer payments will not be processed on these dates.

Please ensure payments are submitted early to avoid any potential delays.

We recommend that you submit payments such as salaries or bill payments on Wednesday 1st April for value on 2nd April.

Any payments initiated before 18.00 on Thursday 2nd April will be with the recipient Banks on Tuesday the 7th April.

Any payments initiated after 18.00 on Thursday 2nd April will not be credited in the recipient Banks until Wednesday 8th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I was going to go to the bank on my lunch hour and lodge my wages when this thread popped up in latest posts, so thank you, you saved me a trip! I totally forgot loads of places are closed as I am in work

Advertisement