Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty boots after 5months of purchase

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

HI,

Have I any comeback? I bought a - very expensive, apparently a good brand- pair of boots last November. Cost E160. Now, I normally wouldn't spend that on boots but I had a voucher so thought I'd treat myself to a decent pair of boots rather than cheap ones as usual.

5 months in and both boots have split at the sides. Possibly glue is all that's required but they are still new in my opinion. The metal eyes in the buckles stick out and \i got a nasty cut on my finger the other day, trying to buckle my boot.

I have my receipt, the box I bought them in etc but is it too late now and do I need to just cough up and go to the cobblers? Does annoy me though. I would have thought 1 year for a cheap pair of boots, longer for a dear pair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just bring them back to the shop and talk to the manager, the boots don't seem to be reasonably durable. You really should have done this when the first boot split (I doubt they split simultaneously). At this stage I would think a repair is reasonable if they offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Just bring them back to the shop and talk to the manager, the boots don't seem to be reasonably durable. You really should have done this when the first boot split (I doubt they split simultaneously). At this stage I would think a repair is reasonable if they offer it.

I only noticed them at the same time to be honest. I noticed one and then when i checked the other was surprised to see that the other was also starting to split. I bought them in Dublin and I live 80miles away so not that easy to get up. Now that the 2 boots have both split, I guess I need to make the journey. I was just seeking advice before making that effort, to be honest, no point if 5 months is too late to begin with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

€160 is not expensive for boots - that would just get you a run of the mill pair of leather boots.

With the exceptional wet weather that was in last winter, it could very well be wear and tear. Generally most boots (and shoes) are not suitable for extremely wet weather and must be dried properly and quickly after getting wet.

Best to bring them to a shoe repairer and ask their opinion. If they say it a manufacturing fault, then you have a "professional" opinion, and likewise if they say its wear and tear or caused by extreme weather, then you would have no comeback to the store.

skelligs wrote: »
    €160 is not expensive for boots - that would just get you a run of the mill pair of leather boots.

With the exceptional wet weather that was in last winter, it could very well be wear and tear. Generally most boots (and shoes) are not suitable for extremely wet weather and must be dried properly and quickly after getting wet.

Best to bring them to a shoe repairer and ask their opinion. If they say it a manufacturing fault, then you have a "professional" opinion, and likewise if they say its wear and tear or caused by extreme weather, then you would have no comeback to the store.

I take your point, thanks and still think it's dear for a pair of ankle boots that I generally wouldn't spend anymore than about E80 on but I wonder why all my other shoes and boots, that I have had for way longer, some for years, all cheaper bar one pair E120 approx - again about 5yrs old now , survived the bad weather.

But having said that, I have no issue with the cobbler's view. I hate returning things and would be morto if they do not not accept my complaint!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

How have you looked after them? Leather is perticular.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    How have you looked after them? Leather is perticular.

Polish, the usual. I find it very rare that boots split. I have a few pairs so don't wear them to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Kate253 wrote: »
    I take your point, thanks and still think it's dear for a pair of ankle boots that I generally wouldn't spend anymore than about E80 on but I wonder why all my other shoes and boots, that I have had for way longer, some for years, all cheaper bar one pair E120 approx - again about 5yrs old now , survived the bad weather.

But having said that, I have no issue with the cobbler's view. I hate returning things and would be morto if they do not not accept my complaint!

apologies - didn't mean to come across in that way. If they were leather boots (which i suspect), then they need a lot more care than synthetic boots. Synthetic boots will last longer and stand up to more wear and tear, but leather is miles more comfortable and needs a lot more looking after as leather is a natural product. Even for health of your feet, leather is the better material by far, but generally is crap in bad weather unless it has been specially treated.

Advertisement