Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BA Community & Youth Work Interviews?

• 14-04-2014 10:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, have been selected for the interview stage of the BA programme in Community and Youth Work application process and have my group and individual interviews this Thursday.

Any former grads or current students who could give me a heads up on what to expect and help calm me down a bit? I've been working towards getting into this programme for a while and it means a lot that I do well in the interviews. Any tips or information about the process at all greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭joey100

I done the course when it was the H.dip in youth and community work and my brother is in 1st year of this course right now.

For the interviews I'd say have a bit of an understanding about what youth and community work is, why you want to do it and be clear about any experience you might have in it. Some basic understanding of what the work is is key though, as well as being very clear why you want to do it.

For the group interview it is usually about something in the news recently, just make sure you say something, and agin tie it to youth or community work. From my group interview the only people who didn't get into the course where the ones who said nothing and the one who spent the whole time talking but never really said anything. The idea of the group interveiw is not to test what you know but to see how you interact in a group as the majority of the classes and lectures are done using a group work model. They are looking for people to participate and look interested.

Hope this is of some use, any other questions just let me know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

joey100 wrote: »
    I done the course when it was the H.dip in youth and community work and my brother is in 1st year of this course right now.

For the interviews I'd say have a bit of an understanding about what youth and community work is, why you want to do it and be clear about any experience you might have in it. Some basic understanding of what the work is is key though, as well as being very clear why you want to do it.

For the group interview it is usually about something in the news recently, just make sure you say something, and agin tie it to youth or community work. From my group interview the only people who didn't get into the course where the ones who said nothing and the one who spent the whole time talking but never really said anything. The idea of the group interveiw is not to test what you know but to see how you interact in a group as the majority of the classes and lectures are done using a group work model. They are looking for people to participate and look interested.

Hope this is of some use, any other questions just let me know.

Bit late for me, had the interview last thursday :pac:

Hopefully it's helpful for someone else though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just to follow this up, I must have done something right, I just this morning got a letter from NUI Maynooth and have been offered a place on condition of passing Garda Vetting.

Beyond delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

Congrat!!!

Did the pstgrad myself. You will love it and love your lecturers. Get to know your classmates, they will be your work mates when you graduate!

Advertisement