Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGettigans Irish pub opening in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I don't know will it work, been in mcgettigans in Dubai while a grand pub it only really works as it acts as a hub for the Irish in Dubai - nothing out of this world. My biggest concern is location down in jurys , along way of the beaten track of Nancy's,smyths,Flannerys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Plenty of pubs down that way. Dolan's for example. Good food options around there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plenty of pubs down that way bombed also - Scooners, Harrisons. Time will tell I guess once the dust settles and the new pub crowd move onto the next great thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

THere are plenty of pubs in Limerick. How can another one do well? CLohessys is barely ticking over. Is it just a case, you'll get a crowd for the first few weeks or months, then it will die down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkylerWhite

I think it's a good spot, with the new board walk area down there is would be great to see more bars/restaurants in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Was in Clohesseys recently and it just felt grotty and the crowd in there seemed kind of rough if I'm being honest. I can see why it would be struggling. Surely Clohesseys could take advantage of the new boardwalk now though. McGettigans might hit Clohesseys if they can start to pull in decent crowds.

Hard to know how McGettigans will actually do though. Like all big pubs it could do well for a while and the crowds will then fall off. As mentioned above it is a good bit away from where people would usually make there way too for nights out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Dolans has a great name with tourists and music but its gone manky and staff ain't great.went in with visitors while back and the manager guy working was miserable when he closed the bar early with tourists there.could give them competition for tourist market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Haven't thought much of dolans for a long time . In fact stopped going after a few bad nights and haven't been back

Opening tonight with a free gig by Paddy Casey

Paddy Casey? Ah Jesus. Glad I'm working till all hours tonight so

Might pop in tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Technique

McGettigans are a Donegal family who own the hotel in Dubai where the original McGettigans Bar is. They bought the Clanree Hotel in Letterkenny last year and the first thing they did was to spend a lot of money doing up the bar into a replica of the Dubai one. It is very stylish, and seems to be doing a great trade. Prices are typical hotel prices, but there's a discount card for locals.

Seemed to be spending money on it anyway but that doesn't always work.they seem to have very slick marketing its "we are limerick"
    Wonder is many locals working there according to Facebook have staff from Dubai over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Passed it this evening and it appears that the smoking area is just the steps at the front.

Is it a late bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Anyone been in there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Passed it this evening and it appears that the smoking area is just the steps at the front.

Is it a late bar?

Decking and an outdoor seating area are due to be installed. Presumably in the not too distant future.

My friend was in there for paddy Casey said hard to judge it last time
    They got some free drinks they was a free bar going for the guards and vips
    They have staff over from Dubai aswell.

You work there?

Wheres the entrance to the place? Through the hotel lobby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Called in today to have a looksy..
    Looks very very nice,
    Bouncers on in the afternoon seems a Little OTT though.. Nice though, apparently.gonna be operating a strict 20s policy, be nice to see smyths competition.

Any one have idea of prices?

They would need to be stricter than 20s symths icon has turned into nearly a student place at this stage
    wonder will it draw all the Dubai trendies lol nearly as bad as hearing about austraila st this stage

Is it a late bar might try it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Bouncers on in the afternoon seems a Little OTT though.

Ah here! That's a bit much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ah here! That's a bit much!

Had a pint for the Irish match, was ID'd at the door at half 5(very very early) confirmed it's 20s. At this time 3 bouncers on door,2 inside and 2 more in smoking area.. Seems very.over the top alright..

Inside, nice bar, not too expensive(tuborg 4, pint bottle burners 5.50) with drink runners which mean no going back upto the bar to reorder.

Lots and lots of Tvs and a big screen(not working yet) showed both hurling and Rugby.. Mobbed today, longevity remains to be seen but on first look seems a lot nicer than Clohessys, will certainly return..

Food though, only downside, very poor menu and very very expensive for what you get..

Dress code kicks in at 8pm, strictly.no hoodies or trainers, same as elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

€4 for a pint of Tiger in there

That's cheap thought tiger was nearer 5 unless its an offer

Was in last night. Fairly impressed with the place. Good pints, good staff and good atmosphere. Although the toilet situation needs to be addressed.

Getting alot of Facebook coverage and people flocking to it must have hit other pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't be getting too excited just yet. People will always flock to the new bright and shiny place because it's trendy and an opportunity to get their photo in the Leader or Post newspapers. A better gauge will be in 6 or 12 months time when the "new place" title has worn off and the fickle crowd move on somewhere else. Nearly always happens when a new pub opens in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They invited as many publicans to it as would go. Even my stout drinking, one pub all his life, father in law heard of the pub because his "old man bar" publican was invited.

I wish them best of luck with it. Always good to have inward investment into the city.

Oh I agree wanted try it sat night but will wait a few weeks.is it big inside there
    yeah its good seem to have huge money to spend
    Stange they invited other pub owners to the opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Had a pint for the Irish match, was ID'd at the door at half 5(very very early) confirmed it's 20s. At this time 3 bouncers on door,2 inside and 2 more in smoking area.. Seems very.over the top alright..

Inside, nice bar, not too expensive(tuborg 4, pint bottle burners 5.50) with drink runners which mean no going back upto the bar to reorder.

Lots and lots of Tvs and a big screen(not working yet) showed both hurling and Rugby.. Mobbed today, longevity remains to be seen but on first look seems a lot nicer than Clohessys, will certainly return..

Food though, only downside, very poor menu and very very expensive for what you get..

Dress code kicks in at 8pm, strictly.no hoodies or trainers, same as elsewhere.

No tackies after 8pm? This is in Limerick right? I haven't had to wear a pair of non-tackies since I was 18 back in 2005. I haven't had trouble with tackies anywhere since then (Limerick, Dublin, Galway, Cork, Toronto, Vancouver, London, Las Vegas, Seattle). Seriously who the f*ck wears leather shoes going out anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    No tackies after 8pm? This is in Limerick right? I haven't had to wear a pair of non-tackies since I was 18 back in 2005. I haven't had trouble with tackies anywhere since then (Limerick, Dublin, Galway, Cork, Toronto, Vancouver, London, Las Vegas, Seattle). Seriously who the f*ck wears leather shoes going out anymore?

Depends, is it Tackies/runners as in the ones you'd see worn with a tracksuit pants like Nike Airs or Tackies as in K-Swiss, Converse, Addidas Sambas etc? I presume it's the former because like yourself I haven't gone out in a pair of shoes in years. Always a pair of nice tackies. Most my mates would be the same.

Advertisement