Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGettigans Irish pub opening in Limerick

13»

Comments

I wore a pair similar to these last night there.

I250x250.jpg

Thats all I wear and have done for years. Never once had hassle anywhere

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Must check this place out sometime. No sportswear at night will be a novelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

So is there a closing time or can the 'I'm a resident' apply to a late pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

So is there a closing time or can the 'I'm a resident' apply to a late pint?

They closed pretty much on the dot at 1 last night.

I wouldn't be a fan of the place - in fairness it's not my type of scene. TV screens everywhere, music blaring fairly loud, it's a typical superpub really. It was packed there last night though and I imagine if you were into that sort of set up you'd find it enjoyable. There's a bit of a Smyth's/big Flannery's / Clohessy's a few years back vibe off it.

In fairness the acoustics were decent, seats were comfortable, drink was fine. The place looks well and was immaculately clean. The bar staff weren't great, it looked like very few worked at a bar, and for the amount of people there it took to long to get served. They also seem to be targeting the hen/stag market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I find the attraction to this place very odd. People are acting like they have never seen a pub in their life!

I was there last night and it was filled with people who will go to a foreign country and seek out an Irish pub as soon as they get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Whatsgonewrong

whats the cheapest pint in there? do they do bav or fosters?

also they upload a **** load of pics on facebook, does it not getting annoying with them going around sticking a camera in peoples faces the whole time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

also they upload a **** load of pics on facebook, does it not getting annoying with them going around sticking a camera in peoples faces the whole time

Think tuborg and tiger, both at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Some people love that. Soon as the next shiny place opens where they can be seen all over facebook/the out& about section they'll move on

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Whatsgonewrong

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Think tuborg and tiger, both at 4.

Not bad, Tiger is quite nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

Went there last night with two other lads who were a couple of months shy of 23, and one of them wearing white runners (nice ones), we weren't drinking, just wanted to see What it was like as we all work in a pub ourselves, but we got refused, was a bit awkward but I suppose the rules are the rules and that's it.. We'll go back another time.. (seemed very busy inside)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Refused this week.. Let anyone in next week.. Limerick's new pub routine never changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

I wore a pair similar to these last night there.

I250x250.jpg

Thats all I wear and have done for years. Never once had hassle anywhere
    :) place is a joke then,..

First visit to Mc Gettigans tonight, wall to wall scobes..no security.. an average city centre bar, ok they spent a few bob on the fit out, but it's a hotel bar at the end of the day.. soulless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

So, if the scobes dress up well, they'll get in? Type of place best avoided. It seems to be Limerick circa the year 2000, when "sorry bud, shoes only" was the norm, but a scobe in a shirt and shoes could be inside. The Icon/Smyths and the morons working on its door spring to mind.

seachto7 wrote: »
    So, if the scobes dress up well, they'll get in? Type of place best avoided. It seems to be Limerick circa the year 2000, when "sorry bud, shoes only" was the norm, but a scobe in a shirt and shoes could be inside. The Icon/Smyths and the morons working on its door spring to mind.

Main bouncer is a former smyths door man, alright!

moby2101 wrote: »
    :)place is a joke then,..

First visit to Mc Gettigans tonight, wall to wall scobes..no security.. an average city centre bar, ok they spent a few bob on the fit out, but it's a hotel bar at the end of the day.. soulless..

Every other pub/club in the country must be a joke too.

Scobes are in every pub and club in this city. Always have, always will be

True. I kind of agree with a dress code, but this "no tackies" thing is a joke. They won't last pi55ing time with that kind of door policy.... It's bloody Limerick at the end of the day!

True. I kind of agree with a dress code, but this "no tackies" thing is a joke. They won't last pi55ing time with that kind of door policy.... It's bloody Limerick at the end of the day!

Is it really a strict policy or do they just pull people they don't like the look of and use that as an excuse? As I said before, I was in there wearing the above mentioned brógs and nothing was said. Although it was a Sunday night. Haven't been there or out in town since. Will probably venture in again this weekend.

Once theyre not big white tackies i think theyre okay :)

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Once theyre not big white tackies i think theyre okay :)

Depending on the tackie, its still a stupid rule in this day and age.

These have no purpose in society and should be banned

Nothing wrong with the likes of these, although I still wouldn't wear them. Much prefer a dark tackie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

"no runners" is just another way of saying "I don't like the look of you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Could be better off being stopped. Service is terrible. Seems like all the bar staff were young with no experience when I was in there last Friday.

Could be better off being stopped. Service is terrible. Seems like all the bar staff were young with no experience when I was in there last Friday.

ah, so it's more like a London themed bar then? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

99% of the time when a pub opens in Limerick it starts with a strict dress code (tackies usually the no no) and a higher age limit.

Lots of people get put off.

About a month later the dress code starts to go out the window.

They find its too late at that stage and about another month later the age limit drops.

Before they know it they are letting everyone and anyone in that will spend a few quid on pints and the people that were going when it first opened stop and go back to the usual pubs.

Advertisement