Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting deposit back

Options
  • 15-04-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

First off, apologies for typos as I'm on my phone.

We moved out of our apartment around six weeks ago, and we're now living in USA. Letting agent did a walkthrough of the apartment before taking back keys, told us he would have the deposit money returned to us as soon as possible.

After the hectic relocation, we realise the money's still not back. We call, and if says it's the landlord that has to return the deposit. And now we're here, six weeks later and still short 1200E.

I get that it's the landlord's responsibility, but the landlord is a construction company- the apartments were built to sell originally- and we have had no contact with them ever. Also our rent went out to the letting agency, not to the landlord, so they obviously have some control over the finances.

Any suggestions? I know PRTB deals with this, but that would be a little awkward from here. Can the letting agent just fob us off indefinitely?

For info, the apartment was in good shape when we left it and he has been very clear in stating that we are owed our full deposit.

Also I get that it was a bit daft to leave the country without getting this sorted, but twas a mad time all round.

Thanks

Advertisement