Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub open Good Friday

Options
  • 15-04-2014 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know of a pub open on Good Friday and serving alcohol from 12?

Heard of a few around the country and just curious if there's any opening here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Airports have bars open good Friday. You won't find a pub (legally) open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Dugout bar in limerick is open for anybody with a ticket to the game.
    Maybe a bit far for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are we that bad that people can't live one day without a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Cabaal wrote: »

Why does the church have the right to say we cant drink that day?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

me89 wrote: »

It doesn't,

Something wrong with people when they need shops and pubs open every day of the year, people would be better off spending some time with friends and family that doesn't involve drink and/or sitting in a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why is the bar in Limerick allowed, or indeed the pub at the airport.

Either we believe in the point of the law or we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

I'm having a party that day and I would like to have the option of going to a pub that day as I would have the option most Fridays. Thanks.

Anyway thanks for other advice folks.
    It doesn't,

Something wrong with people when they need shops and pubs open every day of the year, people would be better off spending some time with friends and family that doesn't involve drink and/or sitting in a pub.

I don't need them open every day of the year, I need it open that Friday. Or rather it would be nice if it was open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

GenieOz wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know of a pub open on Good Friday and serving alcohol from 12?

Heard of a few around the country and just curious if there's any opening here :)

No guard i don't know of any sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It doesn't,

There's no need, it's a desire. If I desire to go to the pub I should be allowed to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

get on the train

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    No guard i don't know of any sorry.

Not sure of the big deal, fibber magees are advertising it blatantly
    https://m.facebook.com/events/749030511797114/

If you're not serving alcohol until 12 then you're not breaking the law, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

It doesn't,

Fair point. Just not acceptable having that day dictated by the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

drquirky wrote: »

It isnt, its being dictated by a law dating back to 1927 (which probably was the Church's influence) but its surely not the Church standing in the way of the law being changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

GenieOz wrote: »
    Not sure of the big deal, fibber magees are advertising it blatantly
    https://m.facebook.com/events/749030511797114/

If you're not serving alcohol until 12 then you're not breaking the law, surely.

doors open 11pm Good friday evening...That first hour gonna be loads of fun with a closed bar!!! :P

drquirky wrote: »

Neither am I,
    I just think the odd day off for employee's is nice

Lets not forget that the church would have influenced the fact that pubs etc are closed on Christmas day, would you also want pubs opened on the 25th Dec and to hell with employee's wanting to spend time with their family/friends.
    testicle wrote: »
    There's no need, it's a desire. If I desire to go to the pub I should be allowed to go.

So you'd be ok with pubs being open on the 25th Dec, just cause you want to drink in a pub?

What if you worked in the pub, would you be fine working on Christmas day if you had family?

No need for pubs to be open 365 days a year, if a person can't get through a day without drinking in a pub then they have a problem in fairness,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In Dublin a lot of pubs close on the 26th of December also!! Down the country thats a huge day/night out!

Neither am I,

So you'd be ok with pubs being open on the 25th Dec, just cause you want to drink in a pub?

What if you worked in the pub, would you be fine working on Christmas day if you had family?

No need for pubs to be open 365 days a year, if a person can't get through a day without drinking in a pub then they have a problem in fairness,

What if you are single and would appreciate the extra hours at probably higher levels of pay. Lots of people work on thee days, we don't close the garda or hospitals etc. If people want to go somewhere surely they should be allowed.

You could argue that there is really no need for pubs to open on Mondays, or why before 9pm? The law should exist to protect the public, not some antiquated notion of religion.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What if you are single and would appreciate the extra hours at probably higher levels of pay. Lots of people work on thee days, we don't close the garda or hospitals etc. If people want to go somewhere surely they should be allowed.

Your comparison to a pub needing to be open 365 days a year are emergency services, seriously?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why is the bar in Limerick allowed, or indeed the pub at the airport.

Either we believe in the point of the law or we don't.
    Bar is part of Thomond Park and Limerick FC are playing a game and you can only get into bar if you have a ticket to the soccer game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

I think anyone who "needs" to stock up for Friday or has an extraordinary urge to go to an airport, sports event, etc, in order to satisfy their thirst should probably consider taking a long hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

nuttz wrote: »
    I think anyone who "needs" to stock up for Friday or has an extraordinary urge to go to an airport, sports event, etc, in order to satisfy their thirst should probably consider taking a long hard look at themselves.

Looking .... looking ......

Bar is part of Thomond Park and Limerick FC are playing a game and you can only get into bar if you have a ticket to the soccer game

And? So the lwaw exists only to protect those people who don't go to live games?

Your comparison to a pub needing to be open 365 days a year are emergency services, seriously?

Of course I'm not, I'm saying that the idea of the law is not anything to do with allowing the poor workers a break. That is an idea thrown out by those attempting to maintain the law but by that logic we should allow everyone the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Yup - allow everyone a day off .... ESB / Firemen / etc. We'll all just stay in bed .....

Church can have day off too ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

No it's just cocking a snoot at arbitrary authority,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It doesn't,

What if I've no friends and i hate my family? I guess I'll have to go get wasted with some priest as he at least is expected to drink wine.

Ireland, a funny little place with funny little games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

And? So the lwaw exists only to protect those people who don't go to live games?

Of course I'm not, I'm saying that the idea of the law is not anything to do with allowing the poor workers a break. That is an idea thrown out by those attempting to maintain the law but by that logic we should allow everyone the day off.
    You asked why a pub in Limerick will be serving and I answered why. Law has granted exemptions in certain cases. Venues that are members only/invite only etc have been able to sell alcohol on Good Friday. My local rugby club has held poker classics etc in rugby club bar on good Friday in years pass and once you had purchased a ticket you could purchase alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I remember a comedian going on about it years ago. he used to live in swords and they would buy the €0.99 flight with ryainaid in jan for good friday.
    He also said you can drink in a hotel with room service, on the train was another, the airport but you had to check in/have a flight, and at the theatre/private club...it was a place in dublin couldn't remember the name of it

Neither am I,

Lets not forget that the church would have influenced the fact that pubs etc are closed on Christmas day, would you also want pubs opened on the 25th Dec and to hell with employee's wanting to spend time with their family/friends.

I get through hundred of days a year without drinking in a pub, 99% of them, wanting to drink on this day is purely coincidental with it being the day that most of my friends are off together so we're having a party.

We would have liked if there was a pub open. Is this really such a big deal?

And no Christmas Day is a day synonymous with family getting together pretty much all over the world. Good Friday isn't, it's a random Friday in the middle of the year with no meaning whatsoever. Incidentally I have worked 7 of the last 8 Christmas days.

I honestly wouldn't care if pubs were closed every single Saturday, it doesn't bother me.
    It bothers me that they're closed this Friday and all I wanted was some information if there was any open but making out I have some sort of drinking issue is more important, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Years ago I thought I'd have the house to myself on Christmas day but late Christmas eve my flatmate arrived in with all his younger brothers and sisters and his mum, dad had gone on a bender as he couldn't handle being couped up with the family on Xmas day. Same thing happened good Friday.

Anyway the kiddy fiddlers never took a day off so why should anyone listen to their sanctimonious religious arses? The church can't even act Christian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

me89 wrote: »

The law could be easily changed but ask any publican they are happy to have 2 days off a year.

Advertisement