Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub open Good Friday

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Unfortunately what seems to happen is people go hell for leather the following night and the Emergency Services seem to get two nights work rolled into one.
    That seems to be the case, especially around christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Einhard wrote: »

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist with a background in history- I've no love for the Church but I do have a healthy regard for good historicism, and your contempt for the former is overriding any regard you might have had for the latter.
    Einhard, you may be into your history but RobertKK's reply when I mentioned the inquisition was that is was propaganda.
    You are among many who has fallen for propaganda, the victors write the history. England had the printing presses and made the Spanish out to be savages.
    Historians who have examined the records will tell you the inquisition was actually the most most just system of law in Europe at that time and despite the myths that many believe, in total 1% of those before the inquisition actually died.
    How can anyone call a system just that practices forced conversions on pain of death? BTW, atheists were for the bonfire too but I'm sure you wouldn't have minded as long as it done justly, like Robert said.

On his other contention that it was the secular authorities responsible for the inquisition then you with your concern for historicism could explain the Vatican apology or do you concur with Roberts English propaganda version. BTW england took up the printing press later than Italy, Germany was the real epicentre of the publishing explosion.

Anyway I don't see how the relevance of stating your atheism, Stalin professed atheism and practiced propaganda against personal religion. Which reminds me, you like history so here's a quick one, where will you find the Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide?

Ultimately though I think all this will go over your head just as you interpreted my comment about extremists as a blank slur on all individuals who profess a personal spiritual belief...
    Einhard wrote: »
    Silly remark to make. Billions of seriously devout people in the world, and only a tiny minority ever act violently because of their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Did anyone find a pint? (no need to mention where of course)

Advertisement