Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're oversubscribing my local exchange.

Options
  • 15-04-2014 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Every evening to around 1AM in the morning the internet drops below 1mbps, this has been going on for 6+ months and it is all down to oversubscribing the exchange.

The exchange is connected to the Eircom backbone via fibre optic, so surely you could clear this up really easily by increasing the bandwidth to the exchange. You have the bandwidth, you are able to provide 100mbps to efibre customers connected via fttc, why can't you provide that to my exchange which is connected directly to your network via fibre optic?

Until recently Eircom have been very reliable for me and I am a long time customer, please can you look into this for me? I have contacted tech support on numerous occasions and I can never get anywhere.

My exchange is KCL (Kilconnell) and I would really appreciate if you looked into this. I have pre-emptively PM'd you guys my account details.

Thank you -Micheal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Every evening to around 1AM in the morning the internet drops below 1mbps, this has been going on for 6+ months and it is all down to oversubscribing the exchange.

The exchange is connected to the Eircom backbone via fibre optic, so surely you could clear this up really easily by increasing the bandwidth to the exchange. You have the bandwidth, you are able to provide 100mbps to efibre customers connected via fttc, why can't you provide that to my exchange which is connected directly to your network via fibre optic?

Until recently Eircom have been very reliable for me and I am a long time customer, please can you look into this for me? I have contacted tech support on numerous occasions and I can never get anywhere.

My exchange is KCL (Kilconnell) and I would really appreciate if you looked into this. I have pre-emptively PM'd you guys my account details.

Thank you -Micheal.

Hi MichealKenny

Thanks for your PM,

I've taken time to look in to this in detail and I'll explain my findings; I can confirm that there are no efibre works ongoing on this exchange. Your exchange is not upgraded to NGB either (Next generation Broadband) and as a result congestion is expected. I see your line can hold a maximum speed of up to 10 mb however the exchange itself has been ADSL2+ enabled which means it can provide up to 24mb but due to your lines distance from the exchange the max it can hold is up to 10MB - I'm aware your max speed is currently 7 but upgrading to 24mb would only deliver speeds of up to 10mb and congestion would remain an issue.

Considering the above, the main factor creating the issue you are experience is congestion. As your exchange is not NGB enabled this congestion is expected and unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about this until the exchange is indeed u[upgraded to NGB - I have checked plans for NGB and your exchange is not planned to be upgraded this year however there are indication that it may be upgraded next year. I understand you have noticed the congestion a lot more recently and I'm sorry to hear this, however the more people connecting the slower speeds will be at peak times and until an NGB upgrade is performed there will be no improvement to this.

Unfortunately eircom will be unable to act upon specific customer requests to increase bandwidths or upgrade specific exchange upon request and I'm sorry to confirm that I will be unable to explain such operation reasoning behind this decision. 

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Hi Alan,

What are the technical specifications/requirements of 'NGB'? I thought the only requirements were ADSL2+ and the exchange being connected to the fibre backbone.

Hi Alan,

What are the technical specifications/requirements of 'NGB'? I thought the only requirements were ADSL2+ and the exchange being connected to the fibre backbone.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi MichealKenny

I've not heard of the term 'efibre backbone' but I can confirm that your exchange is not connected to efibre nor is it in any way influenced by eircoms efibre rollout.

There are many exchanges upgraded to ADSL2+ which are not NGB enabled throughout the country. I'm unaware of the finer technical details however the main difference between ADSL2+ is contention ration. NGB does not have contention ration however ADSL and ADSL 2+ does. The contention ration you are experiencing right now is 48:1 - out of 48 people the more online the slower your speeds will be (Congestion) - which is why you may notice the slow speeds occurring when more people are likely to be online. Only when your exchange is upgraded to NGB will the congestion ease I'm afraid.

According to eircoms website ( http://support.eircom.net/article/10656 ) NGB is defined as:
    "Next Generation Broadband provides a consistent broadband experience, with faster speeds and no congestion, every single time"

Thanks
    Al[/font]

efibre is your term, I'm not saying efibre, I'm saying fibre, as in the exchange is connected to the eircom network via fibre optic cable.

Also the contention ratio used to be 24:1, not 48:1, maybe that's part of the problem.

efibre is your term, I'm not saying efibre, I'm saying fibre, as in the exchange is connected to the eircom network via fibre optic cable.

Also the contention ratio used to be 24:1, not 48:1, maybe that's part of the problem.

Hi MichealKenny

I mean fibre..I'm using efibre as we are discussing an eircom service and efibre is eircoms name for its fibre service. Apologies for the error on contention ratio.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Still not fixed.

3474858376.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

You will be waiting a long long time for that to be fixed

yawhat! wrote: »
    You will be waiting a long long time for that to be fixed
    Yeah but you think 7 months would be a long enough wait.

Still not fixed.

3555506458.png

Also all my speedtests since I last posted:
    55c7af6b93.png
    24cbbb1ff9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Hi MichealKenny

I mean fibre..I'm using efibre as we are discussing an eircom service and efibre is eircoms name for its fibre service. Apologies for the error on contention ratio.

Thanks
    Al

He wants Eircom to increase the bandwidth into the exchange because it's probably limited. There's a thread on Eircom's message board where one person is complaining about the 1Gb fiber optic line into the exchange is limited to 40Mb - that 40Mb is shared between the dozens or possibly hundreds of telephone lines connected to the exchange.

OP, the best thing to do is talk to a local politician. Before the local elections would have been the perfect time to do it. You won't get much information from reps. on here or Eircom's message board.

Or you could contact one of the three people on the right of this link: http://pressroom.eircom.net/

• Advertisement

Hi MichealKenny

As I previously detailed in my posts above, the service your are subscribed to is not NGB (next generation broadband) and as a result the congestion you are experiencing at  peak times will continue and the speed results you have posted above are as expected to be. There will be no improvement offered to this until your exchange is upgraded to next generation broadband and unfortunately there are no plans currently made to do this.

Thanks
    Al

Hi MichealKenny

As I previously detailed in my posts above, the service your are subscribed to is not NGB (next generation broadband) and as a result the congestion you are experiencing at  peak times will continue and the speed results you have posted above are as expected to be. There will be no improvement offered to this until your exchange is upgraded to next generation broadband and unfortunately there are no plans currently made to do this.

Thanks
    Al
    You consider 5PM-1AM peak times? that's an acceptable range for you guys? This is a really simple issue, I am paying a good bit of money to be on a 7mbps package with you guys, it used to be fine, it's not anymore, make it fine again. I don't think it is much to ask to be able to stream youtube videos in 360p when I am paying for a service that should allow me to watch them in 1080p.

Alan can you please do me a favour and get this information for me: How much bandwidth is coming into my exchange, 20Mbps? 40Mbps? 100Mbps?, it's a really simple question, and I should legally be able to verify the contention ratio for myself.

A common theme I've noticed about Eircom is you guys don't know this information, simple information about your network, and that's obviously not your fault Alan, it's management, and it's a complete clusterf**k if Eircom tech support isn't able to get information about the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Dont hold out for NGB either, it has serious congestion issues of its own despite what eircom say!

Hi MichealKenny

Thanks
    Al
    You consider 5PM-1AM peak times? that's an acceptable range for you guys? This is a really simple issue, I am paying a good bit of money to be on a 7mbps package with you guys, it used to be fine, it's not anymore, make it fine again. I don't think it is much to ask to be able to stream youtube videos in 360p when I am paying for a service that should allow me to watch them in 1080p.

Alan can you please do me a favour and get this information for me: How much bandwidth is coming into my exchange, 20Mbps? 40Mbps? 100Mbps?, it's a really simple question, and I should legally be able to verify the contention ratio for myself.

A common theme I've noticed about Eircom is you guys don't know this information, simple information about your network, and that's obviously not your fault Alan, it's management, and it's a complete clusterf**k if Eircom tech support isn't able to get information about the network.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi MichealKenny

I will be unable to offer you the infrastructural details you require. Such details are at a level of where it will not be offered, details or debated I'm afraid. I can confirm that between 5pm - 1am is considered peak times and this is acceptable under the terms of your existing service.

Al[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Almost every exchange is connected by fibre. That's not really relevant here.

The NGN Next Generation Network is a high capacity all-IP network.

The legacy network also runs on fibres, it's just older technology. So the fact the exchange is fibre connected is, unfortunately, irrelevant

So I've switched to Vodafone, I know I will still have the same issue with them, but at least it's cheaper, and at the very least I'll be giving less money to Eircom.

Hi Alan,

Not quite. There has been fibre in use since the 1980s (or even earlier). Eircom use the term "NGN" to refer to their "next generation network" which is an all-IP, very high bandwidth fibre network. There's a legacy fibre network too which was designed around the requirements of digital voice and ISDN in the 80s/90s.

ADSL2+ is just the technology between the exchange and your house. If the exchange is connected on the legacy network rather than NGN, it will run slowly.

Explains all : http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Thier Next generation is still congested in nearly every area though!

Their efibre is on the same backbone and flying along.

Advertisement