Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 19: Chicken in a spicy tomato sauce

Options
  • 15-04-2014 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

This is one of those recipes that is relatively basic and fairly straight forward to make, but really comes into it's own when you experiment. It is also very tasty.

It is a tomato based sauce, with a few extra veg thrown in. It's a staple in our household, serves 2. As with most sauces, the longer in advance you make it , the better. It also freezes very well.

Ingredients:

One tin of tomatoes ( look for those with no added citrus or salt)
    Two chicken fillets
    four cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    One medium onion, roughly chopped
    One medium Red Pepper, chopped into chunks
    One medium Green Pepper, chopped into chunks
    One courgette, chopped into chunks
    One green chilli, finely chopped
    Pinch of salt
    Pinch of pepper
    Pinch of dried Oregano

Method:

1: Sautee the garlic and onion for a few minutes over a medium heat. Make sure neither burns.

2: Add the tin of tomatoes, Oregano, salt, pepper and chilli and once it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 30 min, with a lid on, stirring occasionally.

3: While the sauce is simmering, chop the veg (peppers, courgette)

4: Remove the sauce from the heat and run it through a hand blender to get a thick sauce. No need to cool it, I do it directly in the saucepan.(see pictures 1 and 2 for pre- and post- blender)

5: Return the sauce to the heat and add the peppers- see picture 3 (courgettes take less time to cook, so unless you want a squidgy mess, don't add them yet)

6: While the peppers are cooking in the sauce, chop the chicken into big chunks (i.e. not cubes)

7: fry the chicken in a pan until cooked, ensuring it doesn't dry out.

8: Add the cooked chicken and the courgettes to the sauce and simmer for another 20 minutes or so.

Serve with roasted potatoes or pasta. Enjoy!

Variations:
    I add loads more chilli than above to give it a nice kick. If you don't like spicy sauces, remove the chilli and add more oregano.

other veg: add a (drained) tin of sweet corn to give it some colour. Mushrooms also go well with this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looks great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Missed that when it was first posted. Tomorrow's lunch sorted! Peppers are only 39 Cent in Dunnes at the moment, a good time to make this ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Missed that when it was first posted. Tomorrow's lunch sorted! Peppers are only 39 Cent in Dunnes at the moment, a good time to make this ;-)

You didn't miss it.

I actually posted way back in April, but it was hidden until it was my turn. :)

I was making it one day and I figured I might as well take photos and write it up as I was doing it, hence the date.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've had this before and it's really delicious! Must make an attempt at making it myself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am so going to try this when I have cooker again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Did this on Saturday night and scoffed the lot ! Thanks Tom :)

Advertisement