Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAXON - The Academy - Fri 5th Dec

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Yeah saw that .... deep breath .... let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Nice one Ray, I haven't seen them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Passenger wrote: »
    GBR - Dublin??? :confused:

Belfast isn't GBR either ya know :)

Belfast isn't GBR either ya know :)

And? :confused:

• Advertisement

And? :confused:

That was the and you made no mention of this

That was the and you made no mention of this

So what if I didn't mention it?

So what if I didn't mention it?

Just seems you didn't know you were only too happy to lay claim to Dublin is all. Posting responses like "and" and "so what?" make it seem you are on the defensive for some reason.

My apologies. I hadn’t realized I was a Boards appointed arbiter of standards, assigned with the responsibility to identify every single geographical error on gig posters. Why are you making a big deal out of it man?

My apologies. I hadn’t realized I was a Boards appointed arbiter of standards, assigned with the responsibility to identify every single geographical error on gig posters. Why are you making a big deal out of it man?

Whats with the sarcastic post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

The last Saxon gig in the Academy was fantastic it was cut a bit short !

But now tracks from the Holy trinity this is going to be awesome !

I know Biff is a proud English man but Dublin is not part of GBR !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Could you ladies bicker via PM and spare the rest of us? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The last Saxon gig in the Academy was fantastic it was cut a bit short !

But now tracks from the Holy trinity this is going to be awesome !

I know Biff is a proud English man but Dublin is not part of GBR !

Yes, they played a longer set in Belfast two nights later. They included the drum solo and Made In Belfast and another track. I can't remember off the top of my head, which one it was, but there were 2 tracks extra played in Belfast, that for some reason were not played in Dublin.

It was suggested to me, by a chap I know who was also at the gig, that Made In Belfast may have been omitted in Dublin, on the basis of political sensitivity - because it is about the Harland and Wolff ship building industry in Belfast.

I guess it's a possibility but I was just disappointed it was not played, as I knew before the Dublin gig, from checking the setlists for the gigs up to that date, that it was part of the shows so far.

I couldn't understand why the Dublin gig was shorter, the gig ended at 10.15pm and there was no club on afterwards which would usually be the reason the Academy is very good for timekeeping, with gigs starting early enough for bands to play their full sets, with shows generally concluding before 10.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Here ya go, we can now stop the whining, it was a simple mistake which has been corrected

saxon_zpscf1e0947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ Phew ... call off the UN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yes, they played a longer set in Belfast two nights later. They included the drum solo and Made In Belfast and another track. I can't remember off the top of my head, which one it was, but there were 2 tracks extra played in Belfast, that for some reason were not played in Dublin.

It was suggested to me, by a chap I know who was also at the gig, that Made In Belfast may have been omitted in Dublin, on the basis of political sensitivity - because it is about the Harland and Wolff ship building industry in Belfast.

I guess it's a possibility but I was just disappointed it was not played, as I knew before the Dublin gig, from checking the setlists for the gigs up to that date, that it was part of the shows so far.

I couldn't understand why the Dublin gig was shorter, the gig ended at 10.15pm and there was no club on afterwards which would usually be the reason the Academy is very good for timekeeping, with gigs starting early enough for bands to play their full sets, with shows generally concluding before 10.30pm.

I'm fairly sure they have played Made In Belfast in Dublin before, possibly the gig when Doro supported them in the Academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

blastman wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure they have played Made In Belfast in Dublin before, possibly the gig when Doro supported them in the Academy?

No, it is a track from the most recent album, Sacrifice, released last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_(Saxon_album)

It disappointed me that it was omitted. I don't know the reasons for its omission, perhaps the subject matter of the song may be a possible reason, but it just meant the Dublin gig was shorter than the gig two nights later.

It reminded me of the Iron Maiden gig in the Odyssey in August 2011, when they didn't play The Trooper, perhaps because of the possible reaction to the song if it was played in Belfast, as a result of the theatrical use of the Union Jack flag during its performance in live shows - which can be seen on the Live After Death video - and the imagery of the cover of the single's artwork, being used in UFF murals?

I'd like them to have played it. Leaving it out meant that at the Belfast gig, one less song was played - a shorter show compared to every other show on that Iron Maiden tour. It wasn't replaced by any other song.

Advertisement