Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I messed up a Pilsner kit?

Options
  • 15-04-2014 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Made a coopers Pilsner kit last year. Used 1kg coopers BE2. Thing was nice but came out at about 3.9%. O.G. 1039, F.G. 1008.

Made another on Sat but wanted the ABV up at about 5-5.5%.

Instead of the 1kgBE2, I added 1kg light LME and 500g light DME (it was what I had upstairs)

The OG was 1050.

Have I messed this up?

Will the FG be too high for a decent Pilsner?

Will the kit beer support the extra alcohol?

Worried that it might come out horrible due to all the extra malt and obviously should have just used a bit of sugar instead.

Would dry hopping help support any flavours?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You're making "pilsner" from a kit: there's no point being precious. You've done nothing wrong, it'll be fine, you'll get beer at the end of it. Malt extract is definitely the better option than sugar. If you want to avoid it coming out horrible pay attention to your fermentation temperature and don't rush it.

Advertisement