Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bars/pubs in Dublin open at midnight on Good Friday?

Options
  • 15-04-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as the title says. Only night off over the long weekend so I'd like to venture out. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If memory serves me right a few spots on Harcourt St normally open, keep an eye on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

If memory serves me right a few spots on Harcourt St normally open, keep an eye on Facebook.

Good Friday......the day of panic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Harcourt St makes me feel a little bit sick but desperate times and all that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

For those of you about to Rock \o/ Fibber Magees is opening. Think it's their 24th birthday or something. I imagine it to be quite packed and probably smelly (joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

As a matter of interest is there anywhere that stays open past 12.00 on Thurs? Can hotels serve booze to residents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

last years advice, pretty much the exact same this year again

http://publin.ie/2013/where-to-buy-alcohol-on-good-friday/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

So theoretically buy a sandwich in a hotel and you can go on the beer for the day? Or is it a sandwich with each pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

You can drink in theatres on good friday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

cson wrote: »
    So theoretically buy a sandwich in a hotel and you can go on the beer for the day? Or is it a sandwich with each pint?

You have to be a resident, so book a room too.

I know my local will serve me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Birneybau wrote: »
    For those of you about to Rock \o/ Fibber Magees is opening. Think it's their 24th birthday or something. I imagine it to be quite packed and probably smelly (joke).

It's Fibbers, it'll be smelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

last years advice, pretty much the exact same this year again

http://publin.ie/2013/where-to-buy-alcohol-on-good-friday/

They have the same graphic this year https://twitter.com/publinie/status/456117046821265408

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Potentially stupid questions but how can Fibber's get a license to serve alcohol before midnight (says 11pm in the link)? And how come pubs can't serve alchol after midnight? Assumed they could, but that most wouldn't be bothered opening from 12 - 2am..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Eod100 wrote: »
    Potentially stupid questions but how can Fibber's get a license to serve alcohol before midnight (says 11pm in the link)? And how come pubs can't serve alchol after midnight? Assumed they could, but that most wouldn't be bothered opening from 12 - 2am..

Presume it's soft drinks till midnight... But would the police enforce the rule anyway?

No idea about other pubs, clubs. Always surprised they didn't open at midnight with all house parties etc around.

Presume it's soft drinks till midnight... But would the police enforce the rule anyway?

No idea about other pubs, clubs. Always surprised they didn't open at midnight with all house parties etc around.

Whole thing's kinda daft really. Apparently hotels can serve alcohol with food but pretty sure restaurants can't. Remember a few years ago a restaurant in Galway was fined for serving alcohol. Surprised it hasn't been repealed yet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Sorry for the possible derail is everywhere tomorrow(Thurs) gonna be jammers do ya think?Was planning on bringing a date to Dakota or cafe en seine for a semi quiet few but I may have to rethink a back up plan.

My mam and dad were up in the local last year on the Thursday (rare they'd both be off on the Friday) and the Guards "raided" all the pubs along Clanbrassil St starting at midnight Thursday.

My mam and dad were up in the local last year on the Thursday (rare they'd both be off on the Friday) and the Guards "raided" all the pubs along Clanbrassil St starting at midnight Thursday.

Jaysus that seems a bit extreme. Would've thought gardai would turn a semi-blind eye to it or at least not be as proactive as that about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Sorry for the possible derail is everywhere tomorrow(Thurs) gonna be jammers do ya think?Was planning on bringing a date to Dakota or cafe en seine for a semi quiet few but I may have to rethink a back up plan.

I wouldn't have thought either of those would be semi quiet on a "normal" Thursday night anyway but would think they'd be fairly busy tonight.

You could try the bar upstairs in Fade Street Social or the bar with no name.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For anyone who wants to drink Good Friday there's a trick I learnt a few years back. Buy yourself as much wine and beer as you want today and book at table at Little Jeruselum in Rathmines. Apart from them having some of the best kebabs in Dublin they are also a BYO restaurant as the owners are Muslim and they don't want to sell alcohol, however they are perfectly fine with you bringing your own. There's no corkage charges either. They're not doing anything illegal either as it is only against the law to sell alcohol on Good Friday, the law doesn't forbid it being consumed (thank god!)

I'd imagine it is the same story at other BYO places around Dublin. You could easily spend a night in those places with a bunch of friends ordering starters and desserts and quaffing as much wine as you've thought to bring with you :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Muahahaha wrote: »
    it is only against the law to sell alcohol on Good Friday, the law doesn't forbid it being consumed (thank god!)
    The law forbids alcohol being consumed on a licensed premises on Good Friday, whether it was bought there or not. It appears that if the place isn't licensed, then BYOB is OK, but don't quote me on that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

BeerNut wrote: »
    . It appears that if the place isn't licensed, then BYOB is OK, but don't quote me on that.

You'd be hard pressed to find a BYOB place open on Good Friday,they reckon it's just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The booze will be flowing copiously at the Leinster rugger game in the RDS tomorrow.

In God.....sorry....in BOD we trust...hic...:D

Bars in train stations can also serve booze tomorrow. But you have to have purchased a train ticket to another city to be served. I dunno about Heuston, but the bar in Connolly have security on the doors on Good Friday. They won't even let you in the door, unless you can produce your train ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The booze will be flowing copiously at the Leinster rugger game in the RDS tomorrow.

In God.....sorry....in BOD we trust...hic...:D

Bars in train stations can also serve booze tomorrow. But you have to have purchased a train ticket to another city to be served. I dunno about Heuston, but the bar in Connolly have security on the doors on Good Friday. They won't even let you in the door, unless you can produce your train ticket.

Think I might go to Drogheda in the afternoon. Don't fancy my chances of actually getting on a train though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

So did we all survive?:D

There was a BYOB gig on in Block T in Smithfield. Great it was too.

There was a BYOB gig on in Block T in Smithfield. Great it was too.

Walked past it en route to a house party, seemed kicking!

Advertisement