Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can BYOB Restaurants allow wine on Good Friday?

Options
  • 15-04-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

The sooner they scrap this stupid law the better!

In the mean time, if I bring a bottle of vino to a BYOB restaurant can they accept payment for corkage?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tue 08 Apr 2014 - Easter Trading Hours & BYOB details

Permitted Trading Hours for Easter
    Many of you have been querying trading hours for the Easter period so we have set out below the relevant permitted trading hours where alcohol is being supplied with a meal and a brief note on "Bringing your own bottle" (BYOB).

Restaurant with Wine On Licence trading hours:
    Holy Thursday: 10.30am to 12.30am*
    Good Friday: no sale permitted except to a guest in a hotel with a meal
    Easter Saturday: 10.30am to 1.30am
    Easter Sunday: 12.30pm to 1.30am
    Easter Monday: 10.30am to 12.30am
    *Please note that in Dublin city centre the Gardai wish the sale to finish at 12 midnight. You should check with your local Gardai to see what practice exists in your area.

Special Restaurant trading hours:
    Holy Thursday: 12.30pm to 12 midnight
    Good Friday: no sale permitted
    Easter Saturday: 12.30pm to 1.30am
    Easter Sunday: 12.30pm to 1.30am
    Easter Monday: 12.30pm to 12.30am

Bring your own Bottle to a Licensed Premises on Good Friday:
    Section 2 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1927 as amended prevents the sale, exposure for sale or to permit any intoxicating liquor to be consumed on Licensed premises at any time during prohibited hours. Good Friday is covered by the prohibited hours ban which therefore prohibits the possibility of bringing your own bottle to a Licensed Premises on Good Friday. You can still open on Good Friday and serve food but no alochol can be consumed or brought to the premises for consumption on Good Friday.

http://www.rai.ie/news-easter-trading-hours--byob-details-215.html

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Ireland are bad but we're a long way off Sweden to be fair!

This Good Friday is load of BS. Another example of the strong hold the church have over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I just tweeted a local restaurant asking the same thing - and was given this answer that unfortunately we cannot BYOB on Good Friday.

Seems it's not only out to destroy the publicans but the restaurants also.

Anyway, I could have a huge rant....but I won't. I'll only anger myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If not being able to drink alcohol in a restaurant on one day of year is genuinely a massive issue for you. Then you have far more important issues to address imo.
    That said, I think most people are simply letting off some anti-church steam, rather than actually caring about not having a drink (as they would just drink at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Mellor wrote: »
    If not being able to drink alcohol in a restaurant on one day of year is genuinely a massive issue for you. Then you have far more important issues to address imo.
    That said, I think most people are simply letting off some anti-church steam, rather than actually caring about not having a drink (as they would just drink at home.

For me going to a restaurant is about the experience, not just about the food. It encompasses the ambiance and service as well as the food and wine. After a long week at work I enjoy going out for a meal and sharing a bottle of wine. A good bottle of wine can add an awful lot to a meal, not just the experience but how you taste the food.

The reason I asked about Friday is because it's the only night of the weekend I am free to eat in a restaurant due to work on Saturday night. Otherwise I wouldn't be bothered and just wait til Saturday.

Hope this clears things up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

Mellor wrote: »

I think it's more being dictated to by the church people have an issue with. I'd be annoyed if I just wanted to enjoy wine with my dinner and was told I couldn't because of a law based on a religion I don't follow.

Advertisement