Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

briany wrote: »
    Does rain affect an open air AC/DC show, I wonder? If you have slanted rain coming in on the stage, that could create wet spots to slip on for Angus and I can't imagine a downpour would do him any good when he's out on the ramp and riser doing that extended solo section in Let There be Rock with his shirt off and all. And then there's all the electrical equipment and possibility of water causing things to short. They seem to be well able for it in either case. On the other hand I once saw a guy cancel a performance, well mid-afternoon 'audition', in the the downstairs of Doran's because there was a leak coming from the ceiling. I suppose Doran's don't quite have the same stage protections AC/DC might enjoy. I once played in slanty rain on the back of rickety lorry bed going through a pot holed main street. I had a short out that day on my pedal board and was afraid to touch my amp!

you weren't at punchestown then , rained for most of the set and Angus still did his spot out in a riser that was away from the cover of the stage ,you'd also be amazed at how little rain ends up on stage there very well designed these days that rain is generally not an issue for the performers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭briany

colmufc wrote: »
    you weren't at punchestown then , rained for most of the set and Angus still did his spot out in a riser that was away from the cover of the stage ,you'd also be amazed at how little rain ends up on stage there very well designed these days that rain is generally not an issue for the performers

I went to the O2 gig but I had friends who went to Punchestown and they mentioned the rain, but in more of an incidental way. Still, when Angus is out in the rain I'd imagine there's a few slightly nervous roadies worried that the rain might affect the wireless transmitter or that he might slip on the riser. I suppose he could always cover with a trademark spasm though.

I went to the O2 gig but I had friends who went to Punchestown and they mentioned the rain, but in more of an incidental way. Still, when Angus is out in the rain I'd imagine there's a few slightly nervous roadies worried that the rain might affect the wireless transmitter or that he might slip on the riser. I suppose he could always cover with a trademark spasm though.

ya it's gotta be a nervy fee hours for the crew but as far as I know the riser has a grated nonslip surface, i'm not going to the aviva gig but not disappointed about it too be honest but I'd have given anything for a ticket for the gig in the point

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

colmufc wrote: »

He didn't even notice. I was in the pit and he was like a man possessed playing his solo and it was bucketing down. Got soaked but didn't care. One of my gig highlights.

332048.jpg

Didn't have the funds to make this one but they are a great band live. I have seen them three times. They will definitely put on a good show.

gandalf wrote: »
    He didn't even notice. I was in the pit and he was like a man possessed playing his solo and it was bucketing down. Got soaked but didn't care. One of my gig highlights.

332048.jpg

Didn't have the funds to make this one but they are a great band live. I have seen them three times. They will definitely put on a good show.

ya that was the definitive highlight of the show that night , amazing live as always

• Advertisement

What song do we think they'll be opening with? Personally I think it'll be Play Ball because,

1. It's the lead single on the album
    2. It's punchy and upbeat. Rock or Bust is slower in tempo and never gets so much momentum
    3. The title/chorus is a good rallying cry to open a gig with

The only thing that Rock or Bust has over PB is that it opens with an unaccompanied type riff which AC/DC have favoured in recent years as a gig opener but I don't think they're so tied to it that they would select it over PB all the same.
    gandalf wrote: »

I bet there's a roadie who has the job of wiping Angus down and handing a new pair of shorts to get into before the encore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oooh, and what song do we think they'll play 7th?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I remember reading somewhere that AC/DC only play 2-3 songs from every new album when they go out on tour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I think Rock N Roll Train and possibly War Machine will be the only surviving songs from BI on this tour.

From the new album they'll obviously play ROB and PB, I think Rock the Blues Away, Dogs Of War and Baptism By Fire probably have a chance of getting an outing, depends on how flexible they'll be with the setlist will be this time.

I think Rock N Roll Train and possibly War Machine will be the only surviving songs from BI on this tour.

From the new album they'll obviously play ROB and PB, I think Rock the Blues Away, Dogs Of War and Baptism By Fire probably have a chance of getting an outing, depends on how flexible they'll be with the setlist will be this time.

Trouble with the AC/DC set is after the classics and the 3-4 new ones they put in, there's not much room for anything else. R'n'R Train is a classic song though and would warrant inclusion if not for the space issue. Stiff Upper Lip should make a comeback too. That song did, and still does, rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

One of the main reasons for the inflexible set list on the Black Ice Tour was obviously Malcolm's health.

Hopefully this tour will give us a few out of leftfield, like the inclusion of "Up to my neck in you" on the stiff upper lip tour.

Can't see any Black Ice songs being retained on this tour tbh.

Either way, i can't wait!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    One of the main reasons for the inflexible set list on the Black Ice Tour was obviously Malcolm's health.

They've always had fixed set lists, apart from the odd change of a song or two. The Black Ice tour wasn't the first time they haven't changed a set list much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that AC/DC only play 2-3 songs from every new album when they go out on tour.

They played four from Black Ice on the last tour.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

They've always had fixed set lists, apart from the odd change of a song or two. The Black Ice tour wasn't the first time they haven't changed a set list much.

They've always been pretty rigid with sets but the BI tour was probably the first tour where it pretty much did not change whatsoever from night to night.

But even with Malcolm's health issues not withstanding, I can see why the band don't bend too much on the set. First of all, they have a set that consists of about 21-22 songs, of which about maybe 17-19 are classic songs and have to be played. I'm sure die hards could live with YSMANL so that Nervous Shakedown or something could be played instead, but die hards at any given gig make up a distinct minority of the audience. The majority want to hear BiB, WLR, TNT et al. Then they're usually pretty proud of the new album, too, and want to do two, three or maybe even four numbers off of that. Those songs, particularly the non-single songs, are the poorest received no matter how good they are which goes to show where the audience is at in regards to hearing material they're not familiar with.

Then there's also Brian's voice to think of. Some songs would be harder on his vocal chords than others and so it's important for him that the songs are arranged in such a way that he gets a rest song at decent intervals and doesn't have to sing 4 tougher songs in a row, potentially blowing his voice out before the end of the gig. That's probably a good bit of the reason for why things like The Jack and Let there be Rock go on so long so that Brian gets a break for his voice. I read a story that that's how Freebird came about for Skynyrd because Van Zandt was requiring a longer break each night of a string of dates and the song just ended up turning into a big epic. So there's a logic in these things...

They've always been pretty rigid with sets but the BI tour was probably the first tour where it pretty much did not change whatsoever from night to night.

There were more changes on the Black Ice tour than there were on the Razor's Edge tour

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

The only difference between Punchestown & the O2 the last tour was the inclusion of 'Dog eat Dog' at Punchestown. i remember looking at the worldwide setlists at the time and i can't really remember any changes (i'm open to correction on this)

I'm too young to have been at The Razors Edge tour but surely there was more variety. Even the Live (1992) album has a huge mixture of songs (all recorded on that tour) so there is absolutely no chance that Black Ice had more changes.

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    The only difference between Punchestown & the O2 the last tour was the inclusion of 'Dog eat Dog' at Punchestown. i remember looking at the worldwide setlists at the time and i can't really remember any changes (i'm open to correction on this)

I'm too young to have been at The Razors Edge tour but surely there was more variety. Even the Live (1992) album has a huge mixture of songs (all recorded on that tour) so there is absolutely no chance that Black Ice had more changes.

Half way through the tour they swapped the song The Razor's Edge for Are You Ready? and that was it. When they played festivals, sometimes the number of songs was shorter but what you hear in the Live album is pretty much the exact set list that was played every night.

EDIT - except for Bonny of course.

I only used the RE tour as an example as well. I'm sure if you looked at set lists for other tours, you would see the same songs played in the same order night after night. The point I was making was that what happened on the BI tour was by no means unusual for an AC/DC tour and it certainly wasn't taken to another level because of Mal's illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

What would be you're dream AC/DC set list:

1. Riff Raff
    2. Shoot to thrill
    3. Hell ain't a bad place to be
    4. Satilite Blues
    5. Up to my neck in you
    6. Jailbreak
    7. Bad Boy Boogie
    8. Hells Bells
    9. Fire Your Guns
    10. Shot Down in Flames
    11. Boogie Man
    12. Kicked in the teeth
    13. Givin the dog a bone
    14. Heatseeker
    15. If you want blood
    16. Thunderstruck
    17. Highway to Hell
    18. Whole Lotta Rosie
    19. Let there be rock
    20. For those about to rock

I'm not a fan of bands playing albums in their entirety at gigs but my dream set list would include a good chunk of the songs off Highway to Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm not a fan of bands playing albums in their entirety at gigs but my dream set list would include a good chunk of the songs off Highway to Hell.

Powerage wouldnt be a bad call either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

1. Whole lotta Rosie
    2. Sin City
    3. Live Wire
    4. Thunderstruck
    5. TNT
    6. Hells Bells
    7. Back in Black
    8. You shook me all night long
    9. Highway to Hell
    10. If you want Blood
    11. Hell aint a bad place to be
    12. The Jack
    13. Rock and Roll damnation
    14. High Voltage
    15. Let there be rock
    16. Down Payment Blues
    17. Dog Eat Dog
    18. Dirty Deeds done Dirt Cheap
    19. It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll
    20. Heatseeker

Encore

Shoot to Thrill
    For those about to rock

Jesus its hard to limit it to 20 or so songs. If they came out and played the entire POwerage album and then whatever else they wanted from If you want Blood and Highway to Hell I think I'd melt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

If they came out and played the entire POwerage album and then whatever else they wanted from If you want Blood and Highway to Hell I think I'd melt

indeed :)

they have a legendary back catalogue - probabaly the greatest ever in Rock

Any dream setlist first and foremost has to electrify the crowd. I'm okay with the fact that I'll never hear them play Nervous Shakedown in concert, because about 70 percent of the audience isn't going to give a f**k about that song. That means that it'll get a relatively tepid reaction and hurt the momentum of the gig.

On the other hand, I'd love to see AC/DC do another 'Live in Atlantic Studios' type session before they retire. That'd be awesome and a real chance to pull out some rarer material, plus a couple of classics. So for a session like that I'd like to see,

Moneytalks
    Rock and Roll Damnation
    House of Jazz
    Money Made
    The Razor's Edge
    Hard as a Rock
    Let me Put my Love into You
    Big Gun
    Stiff Upper Lip
    Rock 'n' Roll Train

• Is the new album any good?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is the new album any good?

Not bad but not great. A bit short, a few filler tracks but a couple of really good songs too. 6/10. Just my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I am listening to the new album and Rock The Blues Away came on. I was almost listening to Anything Goes from the Black Ice album. Is there any reason why they sound so alike?

lertsnim wrote: »
    I am listening to the new album and Rock The Blues Away came on. I was almost listening to Anything Goes from the Black Ice album. Is there any reason why they sound so alike?

No reason that we know of. It's not a sequel song or anything, I don't think. It's possible that since RoB is composed mainly of leftover riffs, Rock the Blues Away is composed of Anything Goes' leftovers or an early version that was re-worked until Angus was satisfied that is different enough. It's mainly Brian's vocal that reminds me of AG, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

For the week that's in it... :D

http://youtu.be/0mOBUUhsRwc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Guys there is restricted view seated tickets available for the lower level close to the stage. Would they be ok? or will your view be terrible,

• Advertisement

Got the new album today as a Christmas pressie. I like it but it's such a short album!

Advertisement