Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

What do you wanna use this thread for? Could you not just, read something else if it upsets you?

Actually I was taking the piss out of poster above me :o:

He was saying stuff along those lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Ahh here I realised and deleted it already. I didn't see it was you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Really liked that performance. Good to have them back playing live again. Even if it was in an unconventional environment.

Great big smile on Dave Grohl in the audience as well during HtH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

North American tour dates have been announced. Tour starts in Boston on August 22nd and finishes in Los Angeles on September 28th. Of more significance is the pic accompanying the announcement on Facebook, I think:

10929977_10153072679152930_1584826159126343603_n.jpg?oh=7f7455cf6c726c5350ddb74774193f76&oe=555E3F5E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wonder will more dates be added to the tour? If not, it might be the shortest world tour they've ever played. I think it's looking to be even shorter than Who Made Who at this point, and that wasn't even a proper album. I wonder why it's so short? Surely if this were a final lap, they'd want to get to everywhere they could and do one big last go around.

Nice to see Chris included in that photo, although why wouldn't he be? There's a bit of speculation going on as to whether he's now a full member or he's understood to be filling that gap, because AC/DC have been very slow to update that kind of information through their official channels. Following on from that is talk of whether Phil could possibly sue the band for being terminated from the band in an 'unlawful' way. A case that AC/DC's lawyers would eat for breakfast, I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Well there's no Australian dates yet, can expect 10 stadiums there anyway, maybe December 2015? And I'd say there'll be more European shows in summer 2016. Same as last time, perhaps countries like Serbia and Romania next Summer, they might do download fest instead of London, Bilbao and Barcelona instead of Madrid, they did Oslo two summers in a row so maybe we'll get Dublin again next summer hopefully.

I can see them adding two months of indoor North American shows for Jan - March 2016 and tucking the indoor Japan shows in after that.

I'd be surprised if they didn't add a couple of outdoor Argentina/Brazil/Chile shows as well somewhere.

This is Angus and Stevie during the recording of Rock or Bust.

Young-Brothers.jpg

And here is Stevie, Angus and Chris at Gibson/Epiphone headquarters.

B9_3QoXCAAI-AGj.jpg

Amazing what difference some hair dye will make! Doesn't do Chris much good, but the baldy look does tend to age quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Video for Rock The Blues Away

Fun video, for sure. This is why they hire a big guy like Mallet. For the originality he provides. AC/DC in front of a live crowd...brilliant.

*sigh*

/s

:pac:

But come on, lads. Is this the best you can do? The biggest rock band on the planet, maybe, and their latest videos make them look like a pokey to mid sized act.

Here's a no-budget fan video, but I think it has way more imagination, warmth and humour than any vid AC/DC have put out this album cycle.

Coachella is streaming on youtube, so if AC/DC are indeed going to be on it (I guess they should be?), then you can watch them live this Saturday at 6:35am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Coachella is streaming on youtube, so if AC/DC are indeed going to be on it (I guess they should be?), then you can watch them live this Saturday at 6:35am.

Don't count on it, you'll find a lot of headlining bands will only allow 1 or 2 songs to be streamed

Set list from last night. As they don't change too much throughout a tour, expect something similar at Landsdowne.
    Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be'
    'Shot Down in Flames'
    'Back in Black'
    'Rock or Bust'
    'Shoot to Thrill'
    'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap'
    'Thunderstruck'
    'Play Ball'
    'The Jack'
    'Hells Bells'
    'Baptism by Fire'
    'You Shook Me All Night Long'
    'Have a Drink on Me'
    'Sin City'
    'TNT'
    'Rock 'n' Roll Train'
    'Whole Lotta Rosie'
    'Let There Be Rock'
    'Highway to Hell'
    'For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)'

Have a Drink on Me
    is a great tune and
    something new, that is also old, for the setlist
    . Was it live streamed after all or what? Didn't get to see the live broadcast, thought if it were streamed, somebody would have capped it and put it up in a torrent or some such.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm still hoping they'll bring back The Razors Edge, it's a Slade song so I think it has a chance, nice to see a few changes though, but I imagine this will be the setlist for most of the European leg, even before Malcolm's illness they weren't the most flexible when it comes to their setlist.

Audio of last night's gig

EDIT - Just listened to all of this and while some of it sounds a bit rusty (expected as it's their gig in 6 years or so) and the backing vocals are quite poor, overall it sounds quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

briany wrote: »
    Have a Drink on Me
    is a great tune

One of my favourites! If I get to hear that live on the 1st July, I can die a happy man......

One thing that slightly hurts AC/DC's live act is that the guitars are pitched a semitone lower than standard nowadays. Has to be done to accommodate Brian's voice but songs do sound noticeably less 'bright' because of it, especially songs like Hell's Bells or You Shook Me All Night Long which have melodic guitar hooks. On the other hand, TNT and Dirty Deeds have more growl.

As far as surprises and comeback songs, I think anything from the Brian era that's been played on at least two tours or stuff from the 70s that they already gone through has a chance. They're not going to be playing 'Go Zone' or 'Playing with Girls' ever again, though.

We were always going to get Play Ball and Rock or Bust from the new album but I was surprised at the choice of the third track from the album they decided to play. Not one of the better tracks on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Disappointed with that set list. It's been pretty standard now for about 30 years. They really should mix it up a bit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Could do with mixing it up a bit.......would like to see Problem Child, Riff Raff, IYWB, Jailbreak etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

The Darkness are headlining Groove festival in Bray on 4th July and Daytripper in Waterford on the 5th. Since this is only days from AC/DC I'd like to think they might be supporting, although not getting hopes up being a sold out gig.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    The Darkness are headlining Groove festival in Bray on 4th July and Daytripper in Waterford on the 5th. Since this is only days from AC/DC I'd like to think they might be supporting, although not getting hopes up being a sold out gig.

I feel like the Darkness had their day in the sun and a slot supporting AC/DC would be better going to a younger band.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Disappointed with that set list. It's been pretty standard now for about 30 years. They really should mix it up a bit.

I'm the biggest critic of Metallica playing the same songs in more or less the same order but they're constantly on tour as opposed to AC/DC who only play every 5 years or so, so maybe that's why the same set list doesn't seem to bother me as much as it should. I can't see them ever changing what they do though. They'll play the classics and part from maybe one or two songs being tweaked along the way, the set list will be pretty much the same from day one to the last concert.

Just listening to the audio of last week's gig, I know Rudd always looked like he would rather be off taking meth and riding prostitutes, but it isn't the same without the crazy old c*nt behind the kit, Slade great drummer as he is, just doesn't have the same groove, Rock N Roll Train sounded very flat without Rudd.

Stevie was brilliant, if I hadn't known Malcolm wasn't there I wouldn't have noticed, great that he is able to fit in so seamlessly.

That crowd were pretty sh1te, I've never the ANGUS chant sound so weak at the start of Whole Lotta Rosie, it wouldn't suprise me if half of them f*cked off after Thunderstruck.

Just listening to the audio of last week's gig, I know Rudd always looked like he would rather be off taking meth and riding prostitutes, but it isn't the same without the crazy old c*nt behind the kit, Slade great drummer as he is, just doesn't have the same groove, Rock N Roll Train sounded very flat without Rudd.

Stevie was brilliant, if I hadn't known Malcolm wasn't there I wouldn't have noticed, great that he is able to fit in so seamlessly.

That crowd were pretty sh1te, I've never the ANGUS chant sound so weak at the start of Whole Lotta Rosie, it wouldn't suprise me if half of them f*cked off after Thunderstruck.

If Coachella counts as the official beginning of the tour then I have to say that, between this and the beginning of the last tour, they don't really get great venues to open at. One video I saw from the Wilkes-Barre show from the Black Ice tour, people just look like they're standing around at a house party before anyone's even gotten drunk.

Yeah, Chris's RnR Train wasn't so great, but he was rocking on others. Rosie is a barnstormer when they play it with Chris. With Phil, it dragged on the BI tour. Stevie and Angus are playing great, Cliff's a constant and Brian's voice is holding up. Only real critiques, speaking as a fan, are that,

1) The backing vocals SUCK. Like, I'm sorry, but they're distractingly bad on some of these Coachella bootlegs. Chorus ruiningly bad in some cases. This is almost more a problem of the recording than the band, because their backing vocals have always been shaky and they rely on the fact that their shows are so loud that the backing vocal is more of a visual gimmick than anything, with them stepping up to the mics. They're not really supposed to be audible, but when they are.....yech....

2) The band seemed to be struggling a bit with Thunderstruck. Brian may not have the voice anymore to pull off that song convincingly, but it's one of their top five songs that they really can't drop it either. Angus duffed his way through that famous run he plays through the intro. Not that it's the hardest thing to play, but if you start getting the yips with it and feeling your confidence lessen, anything can begin to seem hard. Brian had a bit of a time with Play Ball as well not really hitting the notes.

Aside from that, an encouraging start.

A reminder : Rudd appeared in court today and gave a guilty plea to the threats to kill. Apparently it carries a penalty of up to seven years. I'm sure Rudd's lawyers will be looking to get him off that by arguing some variation of a 'heat of the moment' type defence, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

A reminder : Rudd appeared in court today and gave a guilty plea to the threats to kill. Apparently it carries a penalty of up to seven years. I'm sure Rudd's lawyers will be looking to get him off that by arguing some variation of a 'heat of the moment' type defence, though.

Sentence handed down, seems a bit harsh: http://eveningharold.com/2015/04/21/acd ... hitesnake/

MetalDog wrote: »
    Sentence handed down, seems a bit harsh: http://eveningharold.com/2015/04/21/acd ... hitesnake/

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I feel like the Darkness had their day in the sun and a slot supporting AC/DC would be better going to a younger band.

Definitely Ive seen the Darkness play live a few times as support the last time was for Lady Gaga. They recently played Cypress Avenue in Cork that holds about 100 people so they are gone well off the radar.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Definitely Ive seen the Darkness play live a few times as support the last time was for Lady Gaga. They recently played Cypress Avenue in Cork that holds about 100 people so they are gone well off the radar.

If it is the Darkness, they'll have to find a new drummer. Apparently yer one who did the album with them has left already.

Advertisement