Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The only negative I'd have about Johnson's tenure in the band is the lyrics were awful, suppose it didn't help he was following one of the best lyricists ever, Bon wrote all those words 40 odd years ago and they are still relevant today.

The mediocre albums they released with him would be elevated in quality if they had coherent lyrics, suppose given how hard he pushed his voice they were lucky to get 36 years out of him, I was unsure if they'd continue after this tour this may be what makes up their mind for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

This is it for them if johno goes -loss of phil malcolm and brian would be a touch too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

^^ See what you did there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

The only negative I'd have about Johnson's tenure in the band is the lyrics were awful, suppose it didn't help he was following one of the best lyricists ever, Bon wrote all those words 40 odd years ago and they are still relevant today.

Johnson stopped writing lyrics at the end of the 80s when the Young brothers took over, so he can't take the blame for the nosedive the lyrics took (overall) in quality around the time of Thunderstruck. Certainly, I've never heard a criticism leveled at Back in Black and For Those About to Rock as having incoherent lyrics, though. Usually they're pretty celebrated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

briany wrote: »
    Johnson stopped writing lyrics at the end of the 80s when the Young brothers took over, so he can't take the blame for the nosedive the lyrics took (overall) in quality around the time of Thunderstruck. Certainly, I've never heard a criticism leveled at Back in Black and For Those About to Rock as having incoherent lyrics, though. Usually they're pretty celebrated.

Since Bon died there has been a decline in the lyrics, there are rare occasions where they have decent lyrics (Hells Bells, FTATR, Moneytalks) but mostly it's just gibberish, I suppose people in general don't really pay attention to lyrics.

Thunderstruck and Back in Black have nonsense lyrics and they are the band's biggest hits, the lyrics on the BIB album are poor enough, but the riffs, solo's and melodies are brilliant, Riff Raff has nonsense lyrics too, but the incredible raw energy of it papers over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah Bon was pretty good at the gutter poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Back in 2014, Brian discussed his hearing problems with Howard Stern, and said that the major problem he has was not due to the music, but from hearing damage while motor racing. He forgot to put an earplug in and the engine noise burst his left eardrum through the helmet. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

There's a story in Clinton Walker's book on Bon Scott about Dave Evans that, when Bon Scott died, Dave kept a vigil by his phone, dressed in head to toe leather waiting patiently for a call that never came. I suppose he's learned to temper his expectations this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Since Bon died there has been a decline in the lyrics, there are rare occasions where they have decent lyrics (Hells Bells, FTATR, Moneytalks) but mostly it's just gibberish, I suppose people in general don't really pay attention to lyrics.

Thunderstruck and Back in Black have nonsense lyrics and they are the band's biggest hits, the lyrics on the BIB album are poor enough, but the riffs, solo's and melodies are brilliant, Riff Raff has nonsense lyrics too, but the incredible raw energy of it papers over that.

TBH there is only so many times you can write about that the same things over and over again (and that is not a criticism). Does anyone really care about the lyrics- Honestly now or is it the dirty riffs and melodies? For me it is the later.

Bon's lyrics from say the Powerage or Let there be Rock have never been matched during BJ's era and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Bons lyrics are superb and for me the lyrics go hand in hand with the tune.

Compare lyrics of walk all over you with lyrics of cover you in oil ffs .

ACDC havent had a great album since back in black-you get the odd song from each album thats good like the razors edge,who made who,heatseeker anything goes and another few but album from start to finish thats superb just aint there since 1980-same with the stones.

Every album bon did was superb.Lyrics combined with the music were fantastic.

Id go for let there be rock if I had to choose one album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

ush wrote: »

Updated with a quote from the source "im a comedian and a storyteller". What a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I tend to take the opinions of someone who says one thing one week and another the next with a pinch of salt.

http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/03/09/breuer-angus-highway-thunderstruck-regulators-jailbreak-deeds-cheap-powerage-indianapolis/81532286/

KROKUS Singer MARC STORACE Would 'Certainly' Accept Offer To Front AC/DC

The 64-year-old Storace tells BlastEcho that no one from the AC/DC camp has contacted him yet about filling in for Johnson, but adds somewhat cryptically: "I actually didn't even have to call Sony [both AC/DC and KROKUS are Sony artists]. They were already on the ball. This thing is not an easy thing to decide. I don't know what's happening and I don't wanna ask. I'm concentrating on my life and if they decide it's gonna be someone else, I'll continue with my life like I've always [done]."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

KROKUS Singer MARC STORACE Would 'Certainly' Accept Offer To Front AC/DC

The 64-year-old Storace tells BlastEcho that no one from the AC/DC camp has contacted him yet about filling in for Johnson, but adds somewhat cryptically: "I actually didn't even have to call Sony [both AC/DC and KROKUS are Sony artists]. They were already on the ball. This thing is not an easy thing to decide. I don't know what's happening and I don't wanna ask. I'm concentrating on my life and if they decide it's gonna be someone else, I'll continue with my life like I've always [done]."

This is the exact same scenario as when an average footballer is trying to get a move to a top Premier League club, he's basically trying to put himself in the picture

He may be the first but he certainly wont be the last one trying to land this gig, if it's even available

Adam Lambert or Myles Kennedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Updated with a quote from the source "im a comedian and a storyteller". What a guy.

Does a great impression of Beano, though.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Adam Lambert or Myles Kennedy.

No, No, No, absolute **** no, and Myles is too busy with Alter Bridge & Slash's solo band, while also trying to get his solo released, the man's got enough on his plate.

Myles would clear his diary for AC DC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The way it's panning out, singers should be refusing the guest slot at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

What could happen if Aonghus pulled a sickie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That would be hilarious and sum it all up.

Thats the thing. He's can't be in the best of shape himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best thing is for acdc to call it a day or they flop with a new singer and be playing small venues and conventions like foreigner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Would agree on the "call it a day" solution.

Presumably you've all seen this but it is fun!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Best thing is for acdc to call it a day or they flop with a new singer and be playing small venues and conventions like foreigner

Call it a day after this tour, yes. I think Angus will want to try and finish what was promised. Malcolm's illness was known at the outset, and he urged them to go on, but the issues with Rudd and Johnson have come out of the blue, pretty much. Angus must not know what's hit him on this tour with all the crap that's gone on, but I don't think he would want to shrink away in defeat either.

Going on beyond this tour cycle with a new singer would be quite hard to imagine after so, so long with Brian, but AC/DC encompasses Angus Young's whole working life as far as I know. Although the band spends years off in between tours, what happens if Ang gets the itch again in a few years? Something tells me he's not the kind of guy to start 'Angus Young Project' after spending 40+ years building a very successful brand.

I'd love to hear Angus do a blues instrumental album when AC/DC finish.

If they called it a day after Black Ice it would have been the perfect way to end it, instead of the risk of having their legacy tarnished with all this nonsense in the last few years.

If Angus continues after this tour with a new singer I couldn't see it being as profitable, the loss of Rudd and Malcolm didn't make any difference to those just going to see them for the hits, the loss of Johnson would keep some of the casual following away and also the disillusioned hardcore followers who go to multiple gigs per tour.

I'd love to hear Angus do a blues instrumental album when AC/DC finish.

If they called it a day after Black Ice it would have been the perfect way to end it, instead of the risk of having their legacy tarnished with all this nonsense in the last few years.

If Angus continues after this tour with a new singer I couldn't see it being as profitable, the loss of Rudd and Malcolm didn't make any difference to those just going to see them for the hits, the loss of Johnson would keep some of the casual following away and also the disillusioned hardcore followers who go to multiple gigs per tour.

Black Ice would have been a great high to go out on, but no-one could have predicted all this mess. It appears that Malcolm urged the band to go on without him, before he got too bad with the dementia, so it wasn't exactly a case of vanity or greed that the band did so. I don't think the band would have carried on without Malcolm's insistence anyway. The whole RoB cycle was supposed to be a tribute to Malcolm and the band's successful career.

• Advertisement

Soundproof booth in the middle of the stage. Problem solved.

Advertisement