Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Serious rumour going around that Axl Rose is to guest on vocals for the ten remaining gigs.

I seriously doubt it myself but several outlets reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Red King wrote: »
    Serious rumour going around that Axl Rose is to guest on vocals for the ten remaining gigs.

Apparently it's on the Classic Rock magazine website too.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Jesus. Has anyone seen his gigs lately? I suggest anyone the might think that's a good idea look them up on YouTube.
    He's routinely pelted with bottles and booed off stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus. Has anyone seen his gigs lately? I suggest anyone the might think that's a good idea look them up on YouTube.
    He's routinely pelted with bottles and booed off stage.

That happened once in dublin and he did come back on stage eventually and sang very well. Axl can still sing when not running around the stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I bet he'd be on time if he did get the gig. Angus wouldn't put up with that crap. So it would confirm him basically being a dick for not getting on stage on time for his own gigs

And apart from the solo in LTBR, how would he get his oxygen breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That happened once in dublin and he did come back on stage eventually and sang very well. Axl can still sing when not running around the stage.

That would be a real surprise. Dublin was far from a one off thing:
    Here he is in Rio;
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NSK1EoC7Y
    There's been loads of incidents from around the world where he's been getting justifiable abuse from the audience because he sounds awful or he cleary half arsing it. He's stopped walking off stage because that leave him open to losing a pay day so he either does what he did in Dublin and comes back on when most people have gone home or tough it out giving a **** performance.

That would be a real surprise. Dublin was far from a one off thing:
    Here he is in Rio;
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NSK1EoC7Y
    There's been loads of incidents from around the world where he's been getting justifiable abuse from the audience because he sounds awful or he cleary half arsing it. He's stopped walking off stage because that leave him open to losing a pay day so he either does what he did in Dublin and comes back on when most people have gone home or tough it out giving a **** performance.

You are totally exaggerating. There has been only two or three "incidents" over the past 15 years with NuGNR. One was Dublin and that was as much the promoters fault as Axl's. And since the Dublin incident he has, surprise surprise, been largely on time at every show.

Axl is by no means perfect but for far too long people have been grossly exaggerating in relation to his lateness and behaviour.

Bieber wouldn't be late.

I've no doubt Angus has strict 'rules' in place and has probably already heard Axl.

In any case, NME seem to be reporting it as confirmed - http://www.nme.com/news/acdc/92504

It would definitely be something worth seeing, but for all the wrong reasons, and would feel wrong with Johnson still around.

Express reporting it as confirmed :rolleyes: - http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/655251/Axl-Rose-ACDC-lead-singer-Guns-N-Roses-Brian-Johnson-deaf-cancel-tour

They are all basing this as "confirmed" on the word of a DJ in Atlanta and MSL over at gnrtruth - a d-list wrestler who is known for leaking Chinese Democracy and trying to blackmail the band with stolen emails.

It reeks of bull****.

• Advertisement

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/malcolm_youngs_son_confirms_it_axl_rose_is_joining_acdc.html

http://www.alternativenation.net/malcolm-young-son-claims-axl-rose-is-joining-acdc/
    Ross Malcolm Young, the son of co-founding AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young, has confirmed that recent stories of Guns N' Roses vocalist Axl Rose joining the band are in fact true.

Ross shared yesterday's UG article on his FB profile, and when someone commented he was "opening a can of worms," Young just responded with:

"It's true."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ross also said they were breaking up two years ago, so I'd take that with a huge pinch of salt.

When I first saw it I thought it was someone taking the piss but it seems to have gathered momentum in the last day or so, it doesn't make any sense I'd be absolutely amazed if it comes to pass.

If we're indulging this notion of a new vocalist, I'd love to see Corey Taylor or Chris Cornell have a go and see what happens.

According to an article on NME, an AC/DC representative said "Nothing official to announce. Will update you if that changes." So he didn't come out and flatly dismiss it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Imagine if it's true it will be marketed as 'acdc ft Axl Rose'.

It will be unusual but cool at the same time if Axl gives 100%.

So happy I got to see the band in the Aviva last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

If this were the last we'll see of AC⚡️DC it'd be cool if it was logistical possible to give Axl one show and 9 other guest rock front men a gig each as a sort of a tribute to Brian Johnston and the band while he's still around maybe
    Axl
    James Hetfield
    Chris Cornell
    Zakk Wylde
    Sammy Hagar
    Robert Plant
    Anthony Kiedis
    Mick Jagger
    Josh Homme
    Dave Grohl
    Possibly a few other headers to step in Myles Kennedy and Seb Bach as candidates also
    Could be an interesting set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

You are totally exaggerating. There has been only two or three "incidents" over the past 15 years with NuGNR. One was Dublin and that was as much the promoters fault as Axl's. And since the Dublin incident he has, surprise surprise, been largely on time at every show.

Axl is by no means perfect but for far too long people have been grossly exaggerating in relation to his lateness and behaviour.

One example where he wasn't late, was the Dublin gig in the RDS in 2006, they played from 8pm till 10.10pm, so perhaps people do exaggerate when saying he is late all the time.

Just wondering though, why do you say that it was as much the promoters fault that Axl didn't arrive on stage till 10.25pm at the September 2010 Dublin gig?

It wasn't mentioned by MCD, prior to either of the Guns N Roses Belfast and Dublin gigs in September 2010, or the Dublin gig in May 2012, what time they were due on stage.

They started at 9.45pm in Belfast in 2010, but it wasn't stated beforehand by MCD, what time they were due on stage that night, or that they were scheduled to be on at that time in Dublin two nights later.

I don't really see how it is MCD's fault that Axl came on stage so late.

He came on stage around 10.25pm at the May 2012 Dublin gig as well.

I thought the band sounded great at both the Dublin gigs, in 2010 and 2012, and it was a shame what happened in 2010. The people who threw plastic bottles on stage didn't help the situation, as by that stage the venue was full, and if the gig had been totally cancelled after 20 minutes when Axl walked off stage, everyone would just have to come back on another occasion for the rescheduled date or get a refund.

I guess we'll never really find out exactly what went on back stage at the 2010 Dublin, between 10.55pm when he walked off and 11.20pm when he came back on and played Live or Let Die.:)

He didn't do himself any favours by starting so late in 2010, considering they only played Dublin in 2012, and as far as I know, it didn't sell as well as the 2010 Dublin gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/28/axl-rose-ac-dc-in-studio/

so is there euro tour cancelled and they will instead tour with GNR in the US with Axl doing double duty ???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/28/axl-rose-ac-dc-in-studio/

so is there euro tour cancelled and they will instead tour with GNR in the US with Axl doing double duty ???

Axl can't perform his own set without taking 5 minute breaks between nearly every song so there's no way he'll be able to do two sets. Unless of course he doesn't really need the oxygen breaks he takes in the GNR concerts and he's just taking them because he's a diva and knows he can get away with it.

Axl can't perform his own set without taking 5 minute breaks between nearly every song so there's no way he'll be able to do two sets. Unless of course he doesn't really need the oxygen breaks he takes in the GNR concerts and he's just taking them because he's a diva and knows he can get away with it.

Or you know, you are totally exaggerating the breaks he takes and talking rubbish.

Or you know, you are totally exaggerating the breaks he takes and talking rubbish.

The time they played the RDS, after the initial burst of 4-5 songs after every song until the the last 2-3 songs in the main set Axl did disappear off stage for 5 minutes while each member of the band did a solo so no exaggeration or talking rubbish. Wasn't at the show in the Point so can't comment on that but his oxygen breaks are well reported.

• Advertisement

The time they played the RDS, after the initial burst of 4-5 songs after every song until the the last 2-3 songs in the main set Axl did disappear off stage for 5 minutes while each member of the band did a solo so no exaggeration or talking rubbish. Wasn't at the show in the Point so can't comment on that but his oxygen breaks are well reported.

I was at that gig too. After they first 5 songs, Fortus had a solo. Then Fortus & Finck covered a song.

Ron Thal also had a solo spot.

That is three solo spots if you like. There might have been 2-3 brief moments of noodling at other times in the gig but they were hardly solo spots. Yeah Axl went off a couple of times but to say he was gone for 5 minutes each time for every song between those first 5 and the encore is just not correct.

They played 20 songs or thereabouts. You are implying Axl was off the stage for over almost 70 minutes in a gig that started at 8pm and ended close after 10:30pm. That just did not happen. At the very most it was 20-25 minutes split over a nearly 3 hour gig.

But I can't see AC/DC opening for GNr with Axl singing both sets. No singer could pull that off with those songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

If AC/DC end up doing shows with Axl Rose, that would be sad. It would be sad because Axl represents so much of what AC/DC have distanced themselves from in terms of your stereotypical rock star c**tery. I understand the band are trying to keep the show on the road but Axl could threaten to derail it at any minute. You'd just never know with him.

If it does happen, i'll be very surprised if it lasts.

and...

:D:D:D

I was at that gig too. After they first 5 songs, Fortus had a solo. Then Fortus & Finck covered a song.

Ron Thal also had a solo spot.

That is three solo spots if you like. There might have been 2-3 brief moments of noodling at other times in the gig but they were hardly solo spots. Yeah Axl went off a couple of times but to say he was gone for 5 minutes each time for every song between those first 5 and the encore is just not correct.

They played 20 songs or thereabouts. You are implying Axl was off the stage for over almost 70 minutes in a gig that started at 8pm and ended close after 10:30pm. That just did not happen. At the very most it was 20-25 minutes split over a nearly 3 hour gig.

Jayus, I wasn't there with a stopwatch, 5 minutes was just a figure of speech. I bet you're great craic on a night out. But since we're being pedantic, I love the way you equate a gig starting at 8pm and ending close after 10:30 to being nearly a 3 hour gig!

I had a look at setlist.fm and between songs 5 and 10, there was a Richard Fortus solo, a Richard Fortus/Robin Finck duet (that Christina Aguelira cover), a Dizzy Reed Piano solo, a Bumblefoot guitar solo, a Robin Finck solo and Axl's piano solo. Now I know Axl wasn't taking a break during his piano bit but he was sitting on his arse and resting his voice. 16 songs played in total and RC had another solo spot before the last song so plenty of time off stage for Axl.
    But I can't see AC/DC opening for GNr with Axl singing both sets. No singer could pull that off with those songs.

I can't see AC/DC opening for GNR either but more because they're too big a band to be opening for them. I know the GNR tour will probably be the biggest of the year (rock wise anyway) but AC/DC don't need to be opening for anyone at this stage in their career. So it could be a busy year for Axl, especially if AC/DC play the European dates as well as the 10 left in the States.

briany wrote: »
    If AC/DC end up doing shows with Axl Rose, that would be sad. It would be sad because Axl represents so much of what AC/DC have distanced themselves from in terms of your stereotypical rock star c**tery. I understand the band are trying to keep the show on the road but Axl could threaten to derail it at any minute. You'd just never know with him.

I reckon he'd be on his best behaviour though. If it's only the US shows, there's only 10 left and I'd say he'd be so honoured to be playing with them that he'd leave his ego at the door. I hope it does happen, I'd love top see it.

Here's what it could sound like

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Knock it on the head AC/DC

The thoughts of Rose fronting them makes me ill.

Jayus, I wasn't there with a stopwatch, 5 minutes was just a figure of speech. I bet you're great craic on a night out. But since we're being pedantic, I love the way you equate a gig starting at 8pm and ending close after 10:30 to being nearly a 3 hour gig!

You say figure of speech, I say exaggeration. He was off-stage for a lot less than what you were making out. I was there, I don't need to check with the notoriously inaccurate setlist.fm

You say figure of speech, I say exaggeration. He was off-stage for a lot less than what you were making out. I was there, I don't need to check with the notoriously inaccurate setlist.fm

He shouldn't need to be off stage at all...!!!

Ok, maybe once or twice in a 2 and half hour set but not 6-7 times like he was that night. Setlist might be inaccurate in places but that sequence of song/solo/song/solo did happen. I remember the gig getting off to a great start. Beautiful evening, they were on time, Axl was in great form (joking about sliding all over the stage etc.) but then the momentum was completely lost by all the f*&K acting about between songs. And it didn't come back until the end of the set when they strung a few songs together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I reckon he'd be on his best behaviour though. If it's only the US shows, there's only 10 left and I'd say he'd be so honoured to be playing with them that he'd leave his ego at the door. I hope it does happen, I'd love top see it.

Here's what it could sound like

Axl rose from 29yrs ago and todays Axl are 2 totally different beasts

Advertisement