Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

Angus will keep going until he can't. Same as Malcolm.

Angus doesn't have any kids, and his hobbies outside of the band are pretty nondescript, so it's not like he has a lot to retire to that would ignite in him the same passion or sense of direction that AC/DC gives him. Not to mention that the concept of retirement is pretty meaningless for your typical big rock star who basically spends years at a time in effective retirement, by any normal working person's estimation, before heading back on the road again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

briany wrote: »
    Not to mention that the concept of retirement is pretty meaningless for your typical big rock star who basically spends years at a time in effective retirement, by any normal working person's estimation, before heading back on the road again.

AC/DC have been taking it handy enough since 1991, if they were touring more intensively I could imagine Angus breaking down physically and he probably wouldn't be to run around the way he does now, he's like a professional athlete, he knows when to peak at the right time.

If it is Angus/Axl/Stevie plus AN Other on bass/drums, would they be able to sell out stadiums at 100 Euro a ticket on the AC/DC name alone, or would the more casual fan really care, the loss of Rudd and Malcolm didn't really affect them too badly, but given that Brian was a recognizable face, I think his loss would have a bigger effect.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new line-up in Vicar St for 30 Euro or something like that, I wouldn't bother paying much more than that to see them.

AC/DC have been taking it handy enough since 1991, if they were touring more intensively I could imagine Angus breaking down physically and he probably wouldn't be to run around the way he does now, he's like a professional athlete, he knows when to peak at the right time.

If it is Angus/Axl/Stevie plus AN Other on bass/drums, would they be able to sell out stadiums at 100 Euro a ticket on the AC/DC name alone, or would the more casual fan really care, the loss of Rudd and Malcolm didn't really affect them too badly, but given that Brian was a recognizable face, I think his loss would have a bigger effect.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new line-up in Vicar St for 30 Euro or something like that, I wouldn't bother paying much more than that to see them.

I'd say the loss of Brian is compensated for by the gaining of Axl. At least in terms of the band's marketability to the general public. Think of it this way - did Guns n Roses ever get knocked back to the club level even when it was Axl and his freaks? Not really. It was still arenas, coliseums and forums.

There would still be too much demand for playing venues like Vicar st. to be economical or fair to all the people who want to see them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd say the loss of Brian is compensated for by the gaining of Axl. At least in terms of the band's marketability to the general public. Think of it this way - did Guns n Roses ever get knocked back to the club level even when it was Axl and his freaks? Not really. It was still arenas, coliseums and forums.

There would still be too much demand for playing venues like Vicar st. to be economical or fair to all the people who want to see them.

I'm probably being harsh relegating them back to club level, but Axl and pals wouldn't have sold out Slane last year, and I doubt this new line up would sell out the Aviva like in 2015, I think they definitely wouldn't be as profitable, but Angus is probably still going for the sake of it, he doesn't need to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Axl may have more in terms of marketability but I think this guy would have been a better fit:

It's from a tribute show to Bon Scott which happens on Bon Scott's birthday every year.
    The singer's name is Skenie and he's the lead singer of a band called The Poor who were big in the 90's and toured with the likes of ACDC, KISS, Van Halen, Alice in Chains among others so he's fairly used to big stages.

At the end of the day it all comes down to money and Axl Rose is the bigger name so will sell more tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Getting relatively unknown singers has worked for some bands like Journey, Foreigner, Chicago etc but different genre and vocal technique to ACDC

Axl/Dc is money and it's like a dream band you make up yourself when u were 13. Personally I think Angus should call it a day and preserve the ACDC legacy. The 2015 Aviva show was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Personally I think Angus should call it a day and preserve the ACDC legacy.

No reason why he can't tour as "The Angus Young band" or something like that, just don't tour as AC/DC.

Play rare AC/DC songs with a different singer, maybe the odd acoustic set. His days of running around and spinning on the floor are behind him anyway.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Getting relatively unknown singers has worked for some bands like Journey, Foreigner, Chicago etc but different genre and vocal technique to ACDC

Axl/Dc is money and it's like a dream band you make up yourself when u were 13. Personally I think Angus should call it a day and preserve the ACDC legacy. The 2015 Aviva show was amazing

AC/DC's legacy is secure. It doesn't really matter what the band does from this
    point onward short of a member scandalised by murder or kiddy fiddling. A few relatively naff years at the end does nothing to denigrate the greatness of all their classic albums/songs and successful tours. It's upon that basis that the history books will note the band as being one of the best, if not the best, rock band of all time.
    ozzy jr wrote: »
    No reason why he can't tour as "The Angus Young band" or something like that, just don't tour as AC/DC.

Play rare AC/DC songs with a different singer, maybe the odd acoustic set. His days of running around and spinning on the floor are behind him anyway.

I go on the AC/DCfans.net forum a fair bit and see the same kinds of suggestions knocking around. In my opinion, they're just fan-fantasies, and have little likelihood of coming to pass if Angus's past behaviour is anything to go by. He's always played AC/DC music under the AC/DC name. That's what I'm guessing he'll continue to do, if he does anything at all. If Angus dared entertain all these suggestions that are floating around, I'd say he'd end up pretty miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

AC/DC's legacy is secure. It doesn't really matter what the band does from this
    point onward short of a member scandalised by murder or kiddy fiddling. A few relatively naff years at the end does nothing to denigrate the greatness of all their classic albums/songs and successful tours. It's upon that basis that the history books will note the band as being one of the best, if not the best, rock band of all time.

I go on the AC/DCfans.net forum a fair bit and see the same kinds of suggestions knocking around. In my opinion, they're just fan-fantasies, and have little likelihood of coming to pass if Angus's past behaviour is anything to go by. He's always played AC/DC music under the AC/DC name. That's what I'm guessing he'll continue to do, if he does anything at all. If Angus dared entertain all these suggestions that are floating around, I'd say he'd end up pretty miserable.

yeah, imagine him having to tour and end up playing places like the olympia, that'd make him miserable alright, he's used to, and has become complacent, with 70k stadiums

scudzilla wrote: »
    yeah, imagine him having to tour and end up playing places like the olympia, that'd make him miserable alright, he's used to, and has become complacent, with 70k stadiums

It's not that, it's if Angus were to listen to the chaotic rabble of opinion from a small yet vocal minority in the band's fan-base rather than his own heart. Fan suggestions such as,

-Play blues
    -Play rare songs
    -Play acoustic
    -Play clubs
    -Retire (to preserve the legacy)
    -Ditch the uniform
    -Change the name
    -Hire this guy
    -Sack that guy

Basically, every big AC/DC fan has an opinion on what Angus should do, but constantly trying to please other people is not a noted path to self-contentment.

Angus could end up playing Olympia-sized venues one day, but I hope it would be at least because it matched the current demand, and not out of some misguided attempt to do more intimate shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

All they need is a new bass player-you got axl angus stevie and chris nothing wrong with that.

I think Axl has done a great job with them getting them to play old bon songs they didnt do with brian.

Zico ! wrote: »
    All they need is a new bass player-you got axl angus stevie and chris nothing wrong with that.

I think Axl has done a great job with them getting them to play old bon songs they didnt do with brian.

Axl's been a divisive figure for fans of the band. A lot of hardcore fans don't think his overall presence fits with the band - his look, his background, his past bouts of diva-itis etc.

On the other hand, Axl's shows with the band on the last tour were hailed by music critics as something of a triumph. A lot of more casual fans of the band have said to me how much they liked his performances with the group and are looking forward to more in the future.

Although this whole drama has separated hardcore and casual fans more than ever before, I think it's the latter, larger group that the band really panders to. Pretty much always has been. So, it's not going to surprise me if Axl is in from here on out. The only thing is how they can square it all with Axl's other commitments.

Just heard 'Are You Ready' on a Coke ad, what the feck????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Just heard 'Are You Ready' on a Coke ad, what the feck????
    For a band that never did greatest hits packages.

It's not like Angus needs the money.

McDave wrote: »
    For a band that never did greatest hits packages.

It's not like Angus needs the money.

I don't know if Angus has a decisive say in the commercial use of AC/DC songs. Seems like it's more down to the label/publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Jesus by complete coincidence I was just ready the post about the Coke ad and 'Are you Ready?" and it just came on the Quest Red channel. First time hearing it.

Rumours flying around at the minute that Stevie Young and Phil Rudd have been spotted in Vancouver, Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rumours flying around at the minute that Stevie Young and Phil Rudd have been spotted in Vancouver, Canada.

Seen on Twitter that apparently Axl has also been spotted along with Mike Fraser who's produced a couple of albums for the band.

I'm surprised at Phil Rudd rumoured to have been spotted, given his recent troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Seen on Twitter that apparently Axl has also been spotted along with Mike Fraser who's produced a couple of albums for the band.

I'm surprised at Phil Rudd rumoured to have been spotted, given his recent troubles.

Were Rudds procurement of a murder charges droped ?

• Advertisement

Were Rudds procurement of a murder charges droped ?

That charge was dropped before it got to court. He was tried on basis of making a threat to kill someone, as well as narcotics possession (meth and hash), and got a house arrest sentence as a result.

Not the first time that Phil has been convicted. He was also done back in 2010 for Marijuana possession.

He was very nearly done for assaulting his ex-wife in 2007 (threatening to push her off their yacht while it was moored in the harbour, after an argument between them got heated), but the judge relented given the impact it could have on his ability to travel with AC/DC.

I've heard that Canada can be hard to get into if you've got a record, but for someone like Phil, strings could be pulled.

Would feel sorry for Chris Slade if the rumours wind up being true. Being sacked from your favorite band once would be bad enough, but being fired twice for the same reason (the other guy became available again) must be galling.

Didn't Malcolm say years ago that they weren't the same without Phil and they were just waiting for the right time to get him back in, Slade is nearly 72 and might be glad to not have to do another potential mammoth world tour.

I do remember Angus and Brian throwing Phil under the bus during an interview when they were promoting RoB, after that I thought there'd be no way back for him, but let's see if there is any substance to this story first.

Rumours now gaining pace. Number of insiders on the acdcfans forum claiming the Angus, Brian, Cliff, Phil and Stevie have been spotted in Vancouver. They're getting very excited that something big is in the works. Perhaps some final sign-off from the classic lineup. We'll see what, if anything, actually comes to fruition.

Didn't Malcolm say years ago that they weren't the same without Phil and they were just waiting for the right time to get him back in, Slade is nearly 72 and might be glad to not have to do another potential mammoth world tour.

I do remember Angus and Brian throwing Phil under the bus during an interview when they were promoting RoB, after that I thought there'd be no way back for him, but let's see if there is any substance to this story first.

Chris Slade seems like a really nice man, and he was an absolute monster on the Razor's Edge tour, but I found it hard to enjoy some of his performances on the last tour. A lot of the power seemed to be gone. That's understandable, considering he's over 70. His hi-hat has been a special bugbear for certain AC/DC aficionados with the constant t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t of it during songs.

Supposed photographic evidence has now emerged that, yes, AC/DC are working on something in Vancouver. Both Phil Rudd and Brian Johnson are present.

img_9056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Brian Johnson album and Axl Rose tour.

ush wrote: »
    Brian Johnson album and Axl Rose tour.

That's definitely one possible scenario.

Over on that forum they seem to have completely lost the run of themselves, some of them have setlists and world tours all planned out based on very little evidence.

I'll wait until something official before I get too excited, given that a lot of those big rock/metal sites are reporting it we might hear something soon, I thought the band was finished, I'd be happy to hear one more album even if it's sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

One more tour would be incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Over on that forum they seem to have completely lost the run of themselves, some of them have setlists and world tours all planned out based on very little evidence.

In fairness, most people could write an AC/DC setlist :D Not disparaging them, but they're hardly going to drop Let There Be Rock and add Carry Me Home at this stage in their career.

Advertisement