Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I never heard that

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

I recall seeing it on a post months ago. It kinda would make sense as they are not looking for politicians but maybe they want your opinion, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

I was asked for my opinion on some current affairs, nothing to catch you out but to see what your view is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Shifty13 wrote: »
    I was asked for my opinion on some current affairs, nothing to catch you out but to see what your view is

Not sure what I would have said if asked about the recent garda controversy there's been so much of it:P

Was anyone asked about their involvement in their community btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Not sure what I would have said if asked about the recent garda controversy there's been so much of it:P

Was anyone asked about their involvement in their community btw?

At nearly every point of the interview it tied in somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 23 board_stupid

Devastated with how it went today to be honest. Just froze up and forgot the vast majority of my prep work, the bits that I did discuss were the least impressive and least relevant as well. Shook like a leaf and nearly knocked the jug from the table getting a drink of water. All in all, a very unpleasant experience. Looking at it objectively, I really do have to resign myself to the fact I won't be advancing. It's still a valuable learning experience though and hopefully I can make a positive out of it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Chin up mate, you never know. There are only a handful of people posting on this thread, there were 330 went for the interview, be plenty more thinking the same as yourself.

I'm struggling to get my head around the concept of these competencies. so they give you a scenario with an issue you would face 2d2 in the force, you provide an answer from your own experience and how you have dealt with similar issues using one of the competencies given, what if you want to us different competencies or attributes to demonstrate your skills how will they score that??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimjoebob09

So are we supposed to write out the examples on our form? I've filled the most of it with my career history and the relevance it has to the gardai but haven't included specific situations...

• Advertisement

So are we supposed to write out the examples on our form? I've filled the most of it with my career history and the relevance it has to the gardai but haven't included specific situations...

Thats what ive done, if ya write down the examples there's no need to tell um they could just read it I suppose, it really seems open ended and I hope they expect different interpretations.

I've only put a handful of previous work on the form, dont want to bombard them with all work exp and it does say "relevant exp" but i expect to use other work not mentioned. I hope they dont ask why I haven't input in on the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Just fill out the form as asked in the questions. In the interview you will be asked questions based on the sections mentioned in the familiarisation.

By the sounds of it , it will be v.close to june until we hear if we progressed or not

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

WilcoOut wrote: »
    By the sounds of it , it will be v.close to june until we hear if we progressed or not

End of the month/start of June is what I was thinking!
    If successful, the fitness/medical is to take place mid-June?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Pretty sure there was a previous comment saying the 26th! It's better than June I suppose :o

BRB wrote: »
    End of the month/start of June is what I was thinking!
    If successful, the fitness/medical is to take place mid-June?

We'll be busy folk in june no doubt

• Advertisement

We'll be busy folk in june no doubt

Best keep the fitness ticking over in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Don't let the push ups get the better of ye ! Keep pushing away each evening :)

Specially for the ladies. Upper body strength is vital for the push pull...and technique of course (use the legs) but defo practice the push ups

Best keep the fitness ticking over in hope

Im tipping away nicely in anticipation of getting the call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Im tipping away nicely in anticipation of getting the call

Just seen a post elsewhere saying recruitment been pushed back till end of July.
    I hear intake put back until last week July

Wasn't the intention always to have the first intake in by the end of July?

• Advertisement

27th July from what I seen somewhere.

Re competencies what tense do they use when asking questions i.e give an example of how you would serve the community or how you have served the community??

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Don't let the push ups get the better of ye ! Keep pushing away each evening :)

Specially for the ladies. Upper body strength is vital for the push pull...and technique of course (use the legs) but defo practice the push ups

What pray tell is a push pull? I thought it was just sit ups, push ups, and shuttle runs?

What pray tell is a push pull? I thought it was just sit ups, push ups, and shuttle runs?

That's just what they've added this year. The PCT and push pull (exerting an aver force of 25kg over 20 seconds) are still part of it.

timmy99 wrote: »
    27th July from what I seen somewhere.

Re competencies what tense do they use when asking questions i.e give an example of how you would serve the community or how you have served the community??

I was told, not in the interview but by the Garda representative who took my form B, that first class will start 21st July. It's suppose to be the orientation week.

Those people who were told last week to ring Garda HQ, appointments today to find out if you passed. Have ye had any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Those people who were told last week to ring Garda HQ, appointments today to find out if you passed. Have ye had any luck?

Didn't ring yet. If I have any luck I'll let ye know

How did people find the boards that interviewed them? Were they smiley and helpful, did they appear completely neutral, or did they try to rattle ye?

Rothmans wrote: »
    How did people find the boards that interviewed them? Were they smiley and helpful, did they appear completely neutral, or did they try to rattle ye?

Mine tended to smile a bit. Everyone bar the super was smiling at the beginning. The super then warmed to my charm.

My first set of questions, looking back on it, were done to see how I react( I think ). I was constantly interrupted and bombarded with questions.

All in all I found them quite nice and not as intimidating as I would have imagined.

Mine tended to smile a bit. Everyone bar the super was smiling at the beginning. The super then warmed to my charm.

My first set of questions, looking back on it, were done to see how I react( I think ). I was constantly interrupted and bombarded with questions.

All in all I found them quite nice and not as intimidating as I would have imagined.

I found the same tbh. It makes it so hard to tell if they were just polite or if I was doing well ha

I found the same tbh. It makes it so hard to tell if they were just polite or if I was doing well ha

Overall I think it went well. I came out happy knowing I couldn't have done anything more. Sure we'll find out soon enough!

• Advertisement

jrobertos wrote: »
    Didn't ring yet. If I have any luck I'll let ye know

Cheers jrobertos, when are you thinking of ringing them?

Cheers jrobertos, when are you thinking of ringing them?

I will in a few hours. On holidays now so can't at
    The moment

The moment

Well you'd want to ring before 5 or you'll be waiting til Monday!

Well you'd want to ring before 5 or you'll be waiting til Monday!

Just in case you're in a different timezone that's in three hours.

Overall I think it went well. I came out happy knowing I couldn't have done anything more. Sure we'll find out soon enough!

Ha yeah I came out happy until I started to pick away at how it went haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

The moment

Any luck??

Any luck??

No I'm afraid. I'd say it's gonna be a long wait. Has anyone tried PAS to see what they say

No I'm afraid. I'd say it's gonna be a long wait. Has anyone tried PAS to see what they say

We're just going to have to sit tight for another week and a half. What did they say to you??

We're just going to have to sit tight for another week and a half. What did they say to you??

It's actually getting painful now, and I've not even been waiting a week yet!
    It's so important to me, and the thought that I failed is making me feel unwell :-(

• Advertisement

It's so important to me, and the thought that I failed is making me feel unwell :-(

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat. Although I must say when I walked out of there I thought it had gone fine and was confident, it's only after thinking about it constantly since that I've been thinking I failed. I think we just need to relax and wait, either that or come up with a hairbrained scheme to find out asap; not sure which is the better option at this point.

I know i was the first or second day and its a killer but its some relief to know its done cos i worked so so hard to study and prepare for it i was so stressed and tired. The only thing thats taking my mind off it is working on my fitness.

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat. Although I must say when I walked out of there I thought it had gone fine and was confident, it's only after thinking about it constantly since that I've been thinking I failed. I think we just need to relax and wait, either that or come up with a hairbrained scheme to find out asap; not sure which is the better option at this point.

Ha shoden. I hope to Christ that we are all in the same boat ha. Some people here seem fierce confident. I've never in my life walked out of an interview like that!
    As I've said before, I've done worse interviews and gotten a job offer. But they were all private sector, and this is obviously a different kettle if fish. Ah it's so nerve wracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShadowLFC

Hey quick question, when filling out the part about your aunts and uncles in Application Form B, the part where it says relationship, do you put down their relationship to you (which is pretty self explanatory) or their marital status?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hareton

ShadowLFC wrote: »
    Hey quick question, when filling out the part about your aunts and uncles in Application Form B, the part where it says relationship, do you put down their relationship to you (which is pretty self explanatory) or their marital status?

Their relationship to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShadowLFC

Hareton wrote: »
    Their relationship to you.

Ok thanks, I just thought that was self explanatory as its a section dedicated to aunts and uncles but sure ill put that in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

ShadowLFC wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I just thought that was self explanatory as its a section dedicated to aunts and uncles but sure ill put that in

I just put whether it was my mams/dads brother or sister. I think that's all they want.

. Some people here seem fierce confident. I've never in my life walked out of an interview like that!

Nor me but I just knew I nailed it

I was in the zone

Nor me but I just knew I nailed it

I was in the zone

Aye. But the more I think about it the more I worry if ya digg?

You good luck yalll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I don't want to come across as too arrogant but I also feel I nailed the interview. It was certainly the best interview I've given and if I was to have failed it at least I know there was nothing else I could have done, gave it 100%.

Roll on the 26th for results!!

I don't want to come across as too arrogant but I also feel I nailed the interview. It was certainly the best interview I've given and if I was to have failed it at least I know there was nothing else I could have done, gave it 100%.

Roll on the 26th for results!!

Congrats, sit tight, not too long left now! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement