Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

Has anyone that did their Leaving Cert between 2006-2011 not been asked to get the original document that was given to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

Emailed public jobs about results, they said interviews are still being conducted until 30th of May and results would be issued in June!!
    Can't handle the wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

June is going to very busy for those who pass the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

WilcoOut wrote: »
    June is going to very busy for those who pass the interview

Sure will... Earliest we can expect results so is Tuesday week with the bank holiday and all. Those who pass can probably expect to do medical following week. PCT week after that maybe. Will be middle of June then and depend on how long background checks take will be end of June before given the official go-ahead! Its a painful process!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

octigen wrote: »
    Sure will... Earliest we can expect results so is Tuesday week with the bank holiday and all. Those who pass can probably expect to do medical following week. PCT week after that maybe. Will be middle of June then and depend on how long background checks take will be end of June before given the official go-ahead! Its a painful process!

action packed

altough I dont think you will get a medical until background checks come back... so maybe not as quick as a week after interview results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Scouser wrote: »
    action packed

altough I dont think you will get a medical until background checks come back... so maybe not as quick as a week after interview results

I'm not sure about that. The lady who took the form B at the interview said that the back ground checks could take up to two months or longer so they would be driving on with everything else in the meantime while waiting for them to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Reserves will have the upper hand for background checks as they only have to be checked from the time they went in to the reserves. That might make it a bit quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Reserves will have the upper hand for background checks as they only have to be checked from the time they went in to the reserves. That might make it a bit quicker

Fairly sure they check each persons details from since they were born no matter how many times you get vetted, being a reserve shouldn't make a difference in that respect.

tictac__x wrote: »
    Fairly sure they check each persons details from since they were born no matter how many times you get vetted, being a reserve shouldn't make a difference in that respect.

No the garda at the interview told me that sure it makes sense we were thoroughly checked when we joined so it's just from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I was told the same thing. reserves will only be checked from present date back to the date they were checked for the GR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

tictac__x wrote: »

Not having a pop at you, but sure fully check the GR's there only going out wearing the uniform them hobby bobbys. Not like there members of AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

TallGlass wrote: »
    Not having a pop at you, but sure fully check the GR's there only going out wearing the uniform them hobby bobbys. Not like there members of AGS.

I wasn't being smart or anything, for other jobs even if you are being vetted for the 3rd or 4th time they check all history again, not just from since your last garda vetting was carried out. It makes sense doing it from the previous time the process was done. I just didn't realise they did it that way for reserves, its a good thing, might speed the process up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Would unpaid fine from Abroad appear on the vetting?! Or just convictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Your having a pop, a cheap ignorant pop at Reserves and the hard work that we put in. We reserves are reserve members of AGS. Now go back under your bridge Troll

redsurfer wrote: »
    Your having a pop, a cheap ignorant pop at Reserves and the hard work that we put in. We reserves are reserve members of AGS. Now go back under your bridge Troll

I think that situation might have gone over your head Red surfer...

Dead on

leave him off tho

ignorance is bliss

I think he was being sarcastic! Anyway, here's a thought for serving reserves still in the process. If you make it to the college, during those 32 weeks, would you still do the odd weekend shift with your current unit as a reserve?

I think he was being sarcastic! Anyway, here's a thought for serving reserves still in the process. If you make it to the college, during those 32 weeks, would you still do the odd weekend shift with your current unit as a reserve?

I'm nearly positive you have to resign to take up the role as garda trainee! You cant hold two positions at one time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I was been sarcastic, sorry for any offense I may have caused.

• Advertisement

I'm nearly positive you have to resign to take up the role as garda trainee! You cant hold two positions at one time!!

You could be right. I was thinking you might be able to hold your GR role up until you're attested?

You could be right. I was thinking you might be able to hold your GR role up until you're attested?

Yeah i was thinking that too

but if you do get in im sure all focus will be on the fulltime training

plus HR will want to fill your GR spot quick so will want you out!

Dead on

leave him off tho

ignorance is bliss

I am so worried about people's judgment in this place. It's clear as day he was defending the GR by being facetious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

I was been sarcastic, sorry for any offense I may have caused.

No hassle;). It just did not read as being sarcastic.

I am so worried about people's judgment in this place. It's clear as day he was defending the GR by being facetious.

Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

teaisgreat wrote: »
    I rang publicjobs this morning and asked them. I explained that on my interview day I was told to expect results around the 20th and she said no no results won't be released til early June.
    Becca22 wrote: »
    Emailed public jobs about results, they said interviews are still being conducted until 30th of May and results would be issued in June!!
    Can't handle the wait!!

A few of us were told that we would be receiving results on the 26th. Apparently some have been told the 3rd of June.
    People on here have rang up PAS, who seem to just say sometime soon/early June.
    I rang PAS myself yesterday, and the woman said that results would most likely be released in batches, and that if we were given a date in interview, this'd be our date, but she had to confirm this. This 'batches' talk has only confused me further.
    This can't be so, because I've definitely read of at least one person who was told they'd receive their result on the 20th, and still hasn't heard.

The only thing I could think of was that the Irish results will issue on the 3rd, while the regular stream results will issue on the 26th.

However, I think a few people here in the English stream were told results on the 3rd. However, it wouldn't surprise me if this was misinformation on the part of PAS. Perhaps this is the last issue of results (i.e. the Irish stream)

Although the 26th does make some sense as it is almost a week after English interviews have finished. Similarly, the 3rd for Irish interviews makes sense as it is almost a week after the cessation of Irish interviews. Additionally, the Irish stream have been lagging a bit behind the English stream so far, so it would make sense if they received their results a bit later this time round. After all, they are a completely separate stream from the English stream.

@Becca: Were you Irish or English stream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Yer all a great source of information I've been stuck to these threads on boards since the process started. Great community.

Anyone know if you can get laser eye surgery pre-medical if you need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Anyone know if you can get laser eye surgery pre-medical if you need it?

The day we did the report writing and we had the presentation by the three members of AGS, they were discussing the medical.
    They said the biggest failures were BMI and eyesight and that if you failed eyesight you would be allowed get the surgery and then come back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    The day we did the report writing and we had the presentation by the three members of AGS, they were discussing the medical.
    They said the biggest failures were BMI and eyesight and that if you failed eyesight you would be allowed get the surgery and then come back again.

Jaysus, if they're strict on BMI I would expect plenty of fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Jaysus, if they're strict on BMI I would expect plenty of fails

not being funny but they must not have been very strict in the previous campaigns.

I'm sure most young candidates would be fine with the bmi.

carzony wrote: »
    not being funny but they must not have been very strict in the previous campaigns.

30 is the cut off point we were told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

carzony wrote: »

I'm presuming your suggesting that they weren't strict on BMI before is because there's a lot of "heavy" Gardai out and about.

They were always strict on BMI. There's been a lot of really fit people held up at the medical stage due to them being over the BMI due to muscle mass and very little fat, a ridicous scenario really. But being a 5'10" really fit and strong athlete actually works against you!

On the other hand what you'll find is that once members get through and start working shift work, nights, no sleep and crap diet that their BMI goes out the window hence why you see a lot of "over BMI" Gardai.

There was a study done a while back, I've no links for it, but it went along the lines of how shift work over a 30 year period can actually shorten your lifespan by many years. There's been cases where Gardai retire at 50 and they actually die within 2 years, too many incidences of that that to make it coincidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

van_beano wrote: »
    I'm presuming your suggesting that they weren't strict on BMI before is because there's a lot of "heavy" Gardai out and about.

They were always strict on BMI. There's been a lot of really fit people held up at the medical stage due to them being over the BMI due to muscle mass and very little fat, a ridicous scenario really. But being a 5'10" really fit and strong athlete actually works against you!

On the other hand what you'll find is that once members get through and start working shift work, nights, no sleep and crap diet that their BMI goes out the window hence why you see a lot of "over BMI" Gardai.

There was a study done a while back, I've no links for it, but it went along the lines of how shift work over a 30 year period can actually shorten your lifespan by many years. There's been cases where Gardai retire at 50 and they actually die within 2 years, too many incidences of that that to make it coincidental.

Thats just laziness that comes into play, I work shifts, have done 10 years now, before that I worked nights for 5 years from when I finished school, i'm still fit and have a proper diet, regardless of my job i'd never let it get in the way of my health and diet.
    This is why 2 hours of gym work and cardio should be incorporated into Garda shifts, start at 7am in the gym for 2 hours (including showering) and then off out on your 10 hour tour, do this 2 or 3 times a shift and there would be no problems, there should also be a canteen provided in each station, ran with volunteers of members (mothers, wives, husbands), or even Garda Reserve members and Garda swap it around by day and stay in the station canteen for a few hours and cook meals.
    Thats just my two cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

billie1b wrote: »
    This is why 2 hours of gym work and cardio should be incorporated into Garda shifts, start at 7am in the gym for 2 hours (including showering) and then off out on your 10 hour tour, do this 2 or 3 times a shift and there would be no problems, there should also be a canteen provided in each station, ran with volunteers of members (mothers, wives, husbands), or even Garda Reserve members and Garda swap it around by day and stay in the station canteen for a few hours and cook meals.

Pretty sure that the army...

mfergus wrote: »
    Pretty sure that the army...

Well having never been in the army or even interested in it, I wouldn't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Thats just laziness that comes into play, I work shifts, have done 10 years now, before that I worked nights for 5 years from when I finished school, i'm still fit and have a proper diet, regardless of my job i'd never let it get in the way of my health and diet.

You really think that spouses of serving gardai would do the same commute to cook them meals... on a voluntary basis?

I can't tell if your being facetious or not, but I hope you are.

You really think that spouses of serving gardai would do the same commute to cook them meals... on a voluntary basis?

I can't tell if your being facetious or not, but I hope you are.

Im deadly serious, it doesn't have to be the serving Gardas station, it could be their local station. Its an idea, just an idea, come up with one too instead of shooting ideas down.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

. Its an idea, just an idea, come up with one too instead of shooting ideas down.

The wife could make the lunch for them to bring rather than actually going to the station to make it?

Edit: or husband

mfergus wrote: »
    The wife could make the lunch for them to bring rather than actually going to the station to make it?

Edit: or husband

Nice healthy ham sandwich, lovely and healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Anyone think there may be a chance that English stream results will be released tomorrow?

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Anyone think there may be a chance that English stream results will be released tomorrow?

From the reception I got on the phone the other day when I rang about an unrelated matter I'd say not a hope, but who really knows? I thought interviews finished Friday but apparently not, the lady said there was interviews next week again and they'd be out a while after everyone finished. I was also talking to someone from AGS HQ HRM and they said they weren't being told who passed until early June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

From the reception I got on the phone the other day when I rang about an unrelated matter I'd say not a hope, but who really knows? I thought interview finished Friday but apparently not, the lady said there was interview next week again and they'd be out a while after everyone finished. I was also talking to someone from AGS HQ HRM and they said they weren't being told who passed until early June.

Wow that really doesn't sound good. They may be referring to the irish interviews that are still going on at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

I think it's mad that they must have known the timeframe at the beginning of the month as all the interview dates were set, told us that we'd know by the end of the month, and now they've put it back further.

If patience had been one of the competencies for the interview we'd all have had at least one great example anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 arsenal.fc

On the beer, can't stand the wait,my b.m.i is rising by the pint.

I'd be more in favor of something along the lines of how things are done in DFB, although you'd have to tweek it for AGS. Why not give one man hour for food preparation every shift. Ie every shift, one member is given an hour or so to prepare to prepare grub for the rest of the unit. This could be an opt in initiative, with a few bob thrown in by members every month, much like the social club.

One can only dream!

I'd be more in favor of something along the lines of how things are done in DFB, although you'd have to tweek it for AGS. Why not give one man hour for food preparation every shift. Ie every shift, one member is given an hour or so to prepare to prepare grub for the rest of the unit. This could be an opt in initiative, with a few bob thrown in by members every month, much like the social club.

One can only dream!

Busy night and late shifts require all hands on deck

We're lucky if we get a chance to sit and have grub. Most of the time the unit work through lunch. Just grab something quick while on the move

I presume that if anyone had an inckling or heard anything about results coming out todat that we would already know?

I presume that if anyone had an inckling or heard anything about results coming out todat that we would already know?

End of next week is my guess

there are still interviews on going sure and PAS will have to tidy everything up in order to hand it over to garda HR

it will take time

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

there are still interviews on going sure and PAS will have to tidy everything up in order to hand it over to garda HR

it will take time

I agree. I think we should forget about this week - will have to be next week however.

Its painful really. Very hard to plan anything, like I could be heading to templemore in 8 or 9 weeks but I don't know yet.

it will take time

I was hoping, against my better judgment, that they might have been releasing the english stream results while still interviewing the irish stream.

• Advertisement

I got an email from them today...

Sadly just looking for original copies of my LC and birth cert :(

Advertisement