Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Leml123

Without opening a can of worms here, is there many people who were successful and members of the garda reserve? is there many people who were not reserves but successful? did anyone feel it played any part of their interview or not at all?

and I really only want to hear from people who did the interview not from others who just want to give their opinion.

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Leml123 wrote: »
    Without opening a can of worms here, is there many people who were successful and members of the garda reserve? is there many people who were not reserves but successful? did anyone feel it played any part of their interview or not at all?

and I really only want to hear from people who did the interview not from others who just want to give their opinion.

Thanks!!

Reserves are in the minority it would seem

but every GR that I know passed and ranked quite high

if 10% were GRs i reckons thats a good amount

So the only benefit really is that you were better ranked than someone that might not have been a reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Leml123 wrote: »

Thanks!!

Successful, placed middle of the pack, not a reserve.
    I had a lot of other experience to use in the interview but if I had to do it again I would have joined the reserves. It would give you the chance to experience the job and could provide great examples to use in the interview.
    Saying that I still think you could still place well and not be in the reserves, all types of experience counts. The interviewers want to see how you have shown the relevant competencies in everyday life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Not in the reserves. Wasn't mentioned at any stage. Came in the 60s.

• Advertisement

Not in the reserves. Wasn't mentioned at any stage. Came in the 60s.

All i was asked about was the GR - decisions I made, things i did, why i did them and I scored in the top ten

i have many years of policing experience behind me and i know i will be all the better for it in the college and when i get my station

non GRs will be starting their policing career while I will be continuing mine..i have a district that would love to have me back after 8months in templemore. Not many can claim that

Did anyone use a prep course?
    Do you think it helped your ranking?
    Was the course worth the money?

Please don't mention specific courses.

I didn't use one.

Thanks guys... looks like I'll be waiting another year or so to be called through to next stage. Mixed feelings over the last few weeks with deciding whether or not to carry on with the reserves. Think you have helped me make make up my mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

WilcoOut wrote: »

non GRs will be starting their policing career while I will be continuing mine..i have a district that would love to have me back after 8months in templemore. Not many can claim that

And anyone in AGS will know district commanders will do everything in their power to hold onto a good uniform - Well done

every bunch of students who come out of the college is viewed with suspicion - 'I wonder if we got the dud!?"

to go back to where you were a student was a massive honour and a good reflection of your abilities - plenty left after their phase 2 or whatever and the lads were happy to see them go

Wilco- if you do go back to your GR district, you should be privileged!

but lets not get into a pissin match - you will all be team mates and class mates soon

I suspect the GR experience will be of massive benefit and non GRs could learn quickly from them if they are in anyway cute - hit the ground running sotospeak

All i was asked about was the GR - decisions I made, things i did, why i did them and I scored in the top ten

i have many years of policing experience behind me and i know i will be all the better for it in the college and when i get my station

All true and fair play to you but we all have something to offer and we're all equals once we pass through the gates of templemore.

• Advertisement

almeraguy wrote: »
    Did anyone use a prep course?
    Do you think it helped your ranking?
    Was the course worth the money?

Please don't mention specific courses.

I didn't use one.

I did and i felt robbed after it ,of no use

old stock teaching the old methods and telling old tales. Waste of time

All true and fair play to you but we all have something to offer and we're all equals once we pass through the gates of templemore.

Everyone is born equal, but we die in much different circumstances

Youll see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I did and i felt robbed after it ,of no use

old stock teaching the old methods and telling old tales. Waste of time

Oh yeah? Were they teaching you the 4 old competencies?

Perhaps it helped you subconsciously, practicing the interview,no?

Youll see!

Ah but if you have a true desire and motivation, that'll stand to you I reckon!

I wonder are there many that just tried their arms that slipped through the interview.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Were they teaching you the 4 old competencies?

Perhaps it helped you subconsciously, practicing the interview,no?

It was the old paper aptitudes and old competencies

complete nonsense for a hefty fee

Rothmans wrote: »
    Ah but if you have a true desire and motivation, that'll stand to you I reckon!

I wonder are there many that just tried their arms that slipped through the interview.

No doubt - they always slip through

i would love to know the ratio of people who have always wanted this job v people who want a job

i would love to know the ratio of people who have always wanted this job v people who want a job

The drop out rates will suggest that...time will tell!!

Fair play WilcoOut, share the knowledge with your classmates. Experience like that can benefit AGS as a whole if we work together to improve each other as well as ourselves.

Youll see!

I hope I do see. It's not a done deal yet.

IMO it'll be a healthy enough ratio. When you consider the competition, the effort that would have went into the four stages, the time off work, the relatively high pass rate at stage 4. Combine that with (what we thought was, but we now realise there is rent allowance :) ) the low wages, and I think it'll be the case that the majority of trainees will be very serious candidates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Serving reserve, passed, and in the top 10. Didn't do a prep course for the interview, but I did one for the aptitude tests and I would wholly recommend it.

I think being in the reserve definitely helped me at interview for many reasons. It meant I had stronger competences to draw from, I had a better idea of how the organisation worked and what they wanted in a candidate, I was able to get a lot of advice from full timers, and finally, I would describe myself as being more confident and having better interpersonal skills now than I did before I joined the GR. I may have passed the interview had I never joined the GR, but I doubt I would have done so well.

Its certainly not a must though, the majority of the class won't be GRs. Life experience is life experience regardless of where it comes from.

As WilcoOut said, the policing experience will be a major benefit in Templemore. It'll be a diverse group of people with different strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure we'll all have something to offer our classmates from our own knowledge and experiences, whatever they may be.

Serving reserve, passed, and in the top 10. Didn't do a prep course for the interview, but I did one for the aptitude tests and I would wholly recommend it.

I think being in the reserve definitely helped me at interview for many reasons. It meant I had stronger competences to draw from, I had a better idea of how the organisation worked and what they wanted in a candidate, I was able to get a lot of advice from full timers, and finally, I would describe myself as being more confident and having better interpersonal skills now than I did before I joined the GR. I may have passed the interview had I never joined the GR, but I doubt I would have done so well.

Its certainly not a must though, the majority of the class won't be GRs. Life experience is life experience regardless of where it comes from.

As WilcoOut said, the policing experience will be a major benefit in Templemore. It'll be a diverse group of people with different strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure we'll all have something to offer our classmates from our own knowledge and experiences, whatever they may be.

Well said. We all have something to offer eachother, AGS and the community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

octigen wrote: »
    Most were told end of May at their interview. Then people who contacted PAS last week were told it will be early June. Taking these points into account and the fact that the first intake is last week in July it would be a reasonable assumption to make that results will be out by next Friday the 6th at the latest.

But we can't be sure. :mad:

Find out when the additional catering staff are starting in Templemore and that will give you a very good idea of the date of the first intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

Anyone any ideas on when the actual tests will start? Im at the open day thurs and due to fly out friday-monday/tuesday... Not sure if i should park the weekend away!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

smc87 wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on when the actual tests will start? Im at the open day thurs and due to fly out friday-monday/tuesday... Not sure if i should park the weekend away!

Wouldn't know for sure bt I'd say they could be on to us telling us we have them the following week. I'd imagine as long as you are back by Tuesday u will be ok

babybell wrote: »
    Wouldn't know for sure bt I'd say they could be on to us telling us we have them the following week. I'd imagine as long as you are back by Tuesday u will be ok

I really hope so, i wouldnt forgive myself if i missed anything!!! I will get onto them on tues to try confirm! Thanks for reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

I really hope so, i wouldnt forgive myself if i missed anything!!! I will get onto them on tues to try confirm! Thanks for reply :)

No problem sure we are all in this together now

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

They need to give us at least a weeks notice of these, I'm hoping/assuming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

It's been known, in very unusual circumstances, that people were rang and told to present themselves at Templemore within 4 hours or so to do a physical. As I said it's very rare this happens and it generally only does if someone drops out we say the Thur before a new intake starts on the Monday, the next name on the list is called.

I would suggest that, if you're within the numbers that are to be called for the 1st intake - 105 I read here, so if you're 105 or less you'll get week or so notice, whoever is placed 106 to maybe 110 could very easily fall into the 4 hour notice bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

van_beano wrote: »
    It's been known, in very unusual circumstances, that people were rang and told to present themselves at Templemore within 4 hours or so to do a physical. As I said it's very rare this happens and it generally only does if someone drops out we say the Thur before a new intake starts on the Monday, the next name on the list is called.

I would suggest that, if you're within the numbers that are to be called for the 1st intake - 105 I read here, so if you're 105 or less you'll get week or so notice, whoever is placed 106 to maybe 110 could very easily fall into the 4 hour notice bracket.

Now where'd you hear that?

Thanks for that, im placed in the 1st 105 anyway, will just have to hope you're right! :)

D Trent wrote: »
    Now where'd you hear that?

Obviously I've no links or sources to provide proof of it happening however I have heard the same story from numerous people over the years.

It makes sense though, Templemore want full classes, if someone drops out of the running or something major happens in their life that they have to defer then it's not beyond the realms of possibility of that scenario occurring.

Any ideas on what's first.. Medical or fitness? If it's medical, do you reckon there'll be a week or so between them?

2am and not sleeping and not out drinking... Obviously fairly worried about all this!! :)

Any ideas on what's first.. Medical or fitness? If it's medical, do you reckon there'll be a week or so between them?

2am and not sleeping and not out drinking... Obviously fairly worried about all this!! :)

From my recollection it was Medical in the depot and physical in Templemore about 2 weeks later, that could be all changed now seeing that they've changed the whole entrance stages. From what I can see the beep test at the physical is a new aspect aswell.

From my recollection it was Medical in the depot and physical in Templemore about 2 weeks later, that could be all changed now seeing that they've changed the whole entrance stages. From what I can see the beep test at the physical is a new aspect aswell.

Okay, so fingers crossed I've a minimum of two weeks! Thanks for the info

• Advertisement

Just noticed your last bit there, don't be worrying at all. Seriously you've done the hardest part, to get out the other side when there was 25,000 people goin for it, that's a huge achievement and well done everyone who got through.

As long as you're at a decent level of fitness, be of good health and have good eyesight and hearing then there's nothing to worry about. Honestly you have successfully negotiated the hardest part which in my view was the interview, everything else should be plain sailing!

Just noticed your last bit there, don't be worrying at all. Seriously you've done the hardest part, to get out the other side when there was 25,000 people goin for it, that's a huge achievement and well done everyone who got through.

As long as you're at a decent level of fitness, be of good health and have good eyesight and hearing then there's nothing to worry about. Honestly you have successfully negotiated the hardest part which in my view was the interview, everything else should be plain sailing!

Any ideas on what the passing level for eyesight is?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Any ideas on what the passing level for eyesight is?

6/18 distance in both eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Anyone from kilkenny city in on Thursday at 1, looking for a lift, public transport is a mess!!

timmy99 wrote: »
    Anyone from kilkenny city in on Thursday at 1, looking for a lift, public transport is a mess!!
    If you don't find anyone
    would you rent a car?

http://www.enterprise.ie/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=I121&bid=004&cnty=IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Na I'm sure I'll be able to sort sumin, just take alot longer to get there, cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Anyone in templemore today? What did the open day entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Chirper wrote: »
    Anyone in templemore today? What did the open day entail?

I didnt think I would need an open day to explain what was needed, I felt garda.ie had all the info I needed - but I went along anyway - just incase I missed some small detail and new info

it was exactly as anticipated - just as the website said.

but i know exactly why they hold days like this - the amount of questions that were asked, reasked, double asked, asked in a different tone, different tense was unreal!

can you do pushups this way? that way? in this time? in this manner? with a break? without a break? etc etc

unreal! some people just cannot read black and white and accept it. questions, questions, questions

one girl even stated to the sgt that the push pull was flawed and should be removed! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

So...I suppose we should get this thread up and running again for anyone who got the pass on Friday!
    Reading through the thread for the last batch, seems there's quite a bit of form filling for the interview. Hopefully we get the e-mail soon with info on when the interviews will be.
    Anyone who has been through this stage already - how long between the Stage 3 pass e-mail and the Stage 4 interview info e-mail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

jwt22 wrote: »
    So...I suppose we should get this thread up and running again for anyone who got the pass on Friday!
    Reading through the thread for the last batch, seems there's quite a bit of form filling for the interview. Hopefully we get the e-mail soon with info on when the interviews will be.
    Anyone who has been through this stage already - how long between the Stage 3 pass e-mail and the Stage 4 interview info e-mail?

There was 3 days between the 2 emails

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Kizzy08

Hi , I have come over from the stage 3 thread , everyone excited for their interview ;)

Kizzy08 wrote: »
    Hi , I have come over from the stage 3 thread , everyone excited for their interview ;)

Passport and boarding pass please

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Kizzy08

D Trent wrote: »
    Passport and boarding pass please

Yours too !

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Hi lads and lassies, just received form B there and just a small question on it.

Do people with girlfriends/boyfriends have to fill out all their relatives info. I know if we were married we would have to fill them out but I am just wondering do we still have to fill them out since they are no direct relation to us?

I tried ringing PAS but couldn't get through to anyone. What did the previous gang do or what do ye think?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

kev-bt wrote: »
    Hi lads and lassies, just received form B there and just a small question on it.

Do people with girlfriends/boyfriends have to fill out all their relatives info. I know if we were married we would have to fill them out but I am just wondering do we still have to fill them out since they are no direct relation to us?

I tried ringing PAS but couldn't get through to anyone. What did the previous gang do or what do ye think?

Thanks!

I was told that one lad came in and asked about his long term girlfriend. The Garda rep said no need to fill it out unless they were living together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement