Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Kizzy08 wrote: »
    I think I'll do that then , it sounds better . Sorry just one more question :) did you also give in a written reference from her or was the phone call enough ?
    I'd go with the most recent school you have attended. It doesn't matter if you know no one there now. They will have your record on file which is what HRM will be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Anyone get a email back after sending on interview form, other than the immediate automated one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Kizzy08

3fullback wrote: »
    Anyone get a email back after sending on interview form, other than the immediate automated one ?

Yes , I got one a day later

Yes , I got one a day later

What it say if you don't mind me asking ?

What it say if you don't mind me asking ?

It said : your application form has been received and submitted .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

blake101 wrote: »
    Hi WilcoOut, I'm trying to send you a private message but your inbox is full.....just wanna pick your brains!!

Did a little clear out - try again!

Ok cheers !

Ok cheers !

No probs

mickaleen wrote: »
    I'd go with the most recent school you have attended. It doesn't matter if you know no one there now. They will have your record on file which is what HRM will be interested in.

Yes I have been in contact with my school just in case. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bridel

Just a quick question filling out form B here and need help with the section where they ask for aunts/uncles. A few of my uncles and divorced and since remarried. Do we need to put down ex wives and currents ones or is it just current ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

It's your aunts and uncles by blood, not their spouses.

Blaireness wrote: »
    It's your aunts and uncles by blood, not their spouses.

Thank you! :) So I just leave out everyone's spouses?

Yes

Just another question. Being part of a political party like Sinn Fein shouldn't affect the vetting should it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Bridel wrote: »
    Just another question. Being part of a political party like Sinn Fein shouldn't affect the vetting should it ?

Do they ask about that?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Do they ask about that?

Yeah it asks if you are a member of a political party or organisation on form B

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

You'll have to leave the party as you won't be allowed to have any political affiliation with any party.

BRB wrote: »
    You'll have to leave the party as you won't be allowed to have any political affiliation with any party.

Thanks I was thinking that! Do you think I should leave now and put down no or say yes and leave if I ever get an offer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Thanks I was thinking that! Do you think I should leave now and put down no or say yes and leave if I ever get an offer ?

If you're a member of a party and you explain to them that you are leaving in pursuit of a career that does not allow you to be a member of said parties and that you would like the oppertunity to rejoin if your new career doesn't work out or you dont get the job, im sure the party will be fine with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Got interview this week at 12.30, I know the interview goes on for about 45 mins but anyone know how long the formalities gone on with checking form B and so on. I am wondering if I am safe enough booking a train home for 2.45?

That gives you loads of time. My interview was on for 2.40 and it didn't start til near 2.50...I was out on the street making my way home at 3.45....

Best of luck to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

That gives you loads of time. My interview was on for 2.40 and it didn't start til near 2.50...I was out on the street making my way home at 3.45....

Best of luck to you....

Cheers mate.

Any more advice on it ?

Any more advice on it ?

Don't fcuk it up....lol....

To be honest, try and be as relaxed as you can. They are not trying to catch you out or anything. Early in my interview I made 2 mistakes with my answers which I realised and after the next question I went back and corrected my other answers. They seemed happy enough with that. There'll be three people interviewing you with another sitting towards the side of you taking notes. Don't be put off by that. Again, just be relaxed and know your answers back to front and you will be ok. The time flies by while your in there.

Oh and wear a suit preferably with a white shirt. Make sure your tie is not pink or anything like that. Your going to an interview not to a wedding.

Best of luck.

Don't fcuk it up....lol....

To be honest, try and be as relaxed as you can. They are not trying to catch you out or anything. Early in my interview I made 2 mistakes with my answers which I realised and after the next question I went back and corrected my other answers. They seemed happy enough with that. There'll be three people interviewing you with another sitting towards the side of you taking notes. Don't be put off by that. Again, just be relaxed and know your answers back to front and you will be ok. The time flies by while your in there.

Oh and wear a suit preferably with a white shirt. Make sure your tie is not pink or anything like that. Your going to an interview not to a wedding.

Best of luck.
    Thanks mickaleen !

Appreciate it, do they ask any general knowledge tricky questions like who's the min of justice is ?? Or typical why do you want to be a gard ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Thanks mickaleen !

Appreciate it, do they ask any general knowledge tricky questions like who's the min of justice is ?? Or typical why do you want to be a gard ?

They didn't ask any trick questions but you can always add into the competency of why you want to be a guard

Thanks mickaleen !

I wasn't asked any questions like that, but you should know those type of answers already. Maybe know the order of rank also. Be handy to know just in-case it was thrown out there to you. Other then that, its all ( or it should be anyway ) based on what's on your form and the competencies listed on it.

Thanks so much again guys, final quick question. Did ye get any really open question to start off like , 'tell me about yourself ' or 'what was that particular course about' you know the usual ones to get you settled in ?

I was asked was there any Garda inititives in my local area. I just said neighborhood watch etc. Asked me about a course I did also. Again, no trick questions, they try their best to make you comfortable. Keep your hands together and don't be flapping them all over the place. I kept mine together but every now and again I could feel the urge to start waving here and there. Thankfully, because I had them placed together I didn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaulMCKM

I have been approaching my referees for form b to let them know I'm sticking them down and they have been asking me whats involved.

Does anybody know if it is a phone call to confirm they know me and a few general questions or will they be looking for a written reference from them?

• Advertisement

None of mine were asked for anything in writing. Its a quick phone call confirming they know you and give you a quick verbal character reference.

Thanks for that. Now I can let them know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

When are the interviews finished do you's know? Or when did they start?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Liverpoolfc88

Becca22 wrote: »
    When are the interviews finished do you's know? Or when did they start?

I'm not so sure when they started but i have mine September the 19th.

I'm trying to finalise my form b and am wondering what is the general consensus on adding the spouses of your brothers/sisters and aunts/uncles to the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

PaulMCKM wrote: »
    I'm trying to finalise my form b and am wondering what is the general consensus on adding the spouses of your brothers/sisters and aunts/uncles to the list?

I did mine in May and I didn't include spouses. Just provided list of siblings and immediate aunts and uncles on my side and husbands side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

My interview is tomorrow. I feel sick thinking about it.

Mine is on Friday , I am so nervous . I feel like I am going to forget everything . Best of luck anyway :)

I've only ever worked in retail, I've led a very unremarkable life! No idea what to say. The more I practise answers the more disheartened I feel. I'm so close to my dream but also so close to messing it all up! Argh. I'll probably throw up on the interviewers as well out of nerves, I had to stop the car during my driving test for a barf!

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I've only ever worked in retail, I've led a very unremarkable life! No idea what to say. The more I practise answers the more disheartened I feel. I'm so close to my dream but also so close to messing it all up! Argh. I'll probably throw up on the interviewers as well out of nerves, I had to stop the car during my driving test for a barf!
    Me too in regards to retail . I think retail has so many good examples to give towards the competencies though , it's just finding them and using keywords like listening , teamwork , negotiating etc etc .i personally think they will be listening for them . I am not a sicky person but I have a good chance of dying from nerves ;) don't forget your sick bag :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

Just remember they want to know about you and what you can bring to the guards so when you're giving examples use 'I' and try to avoid saying 'we'. Its more difficult than it sounds if you're use to working with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Retail is an ideal background to have. You're constantly dealing with the public and have most likely dealt with some difficult arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Good luck to all doing their interviews at the moment..

Try relax, it’s not as bad as you’d think having done it already, they were very good at making me feel at ease.

All you can do is have your examples prepared, be confident and be honest when speaking.

Make sure your examples are clear and simple, with a beginning, what happened/what you did, and what the result was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Don't worry about it. All my examples were fairly ordinary too. As long as they are true and demonstrate the relevant competency you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Good luck to everyone doing the interviews :)

My interview is tomorrow. I feel sick thinking about it.

Was it as bad as you thought ?

Hey sorry if this has been asked already but was reading through and couldn't find it. Filling out form B here and it asks if you read and write in another language and the level of competency if you do? I haven't properly spoken my 'second language' since leaving cert but isn't a second language required so should I say yes and just say poor competency or any advice? Cheers

Was it as bad as you thought ?

Honestly, yeah. I thought they'd be mostly interested in my community involvement and had loads of examples prepared on that, but they seemed to have more interest in my job.
    Ah well, it's behind me now for better or for worse I suppose.

Honestly, yeah. I thought they'd be mostly interested in my community involvement and had loads of examples prepared on that, but they seemed to have more interest in my job.
    Ah well, it's behind me now for better or for worse I suppose.

Well, well done and fingers crossed . At least it's over and done with now

• Advertisement

Can't post the link but the irish times have an article today with the Minister talking about not sure when they are gonna recruit anymore after this 100 as they bring the number back up to 13,000.

Advertisement